iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Basswood carving chunks

Started by welderskelter, October 30, 2014, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Anybody tell me how the carvers want these things sawed? Dont know if I should  saw the 1 inch boards flat or quarter sawn. Help

Ron Wenrich

I sawed some basswood for a decoy carver.  He wanted 2", 4x6 and 6x8 material.  No heart.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

69bronco

I sawed around a thousand feet of basswood back in the 80s, cut it all 3,4 and5". A carving club bought the whole pile, think they did decoys mostly.

welderskelter

I have a lot of Basswood and I hear there is a calling for it so was just wondering how to cut it. Did any of you guys dry it and plane it or just sell it rough?

Andries

The carvers that I deal with want blocks (4 to 8" by 8 to 12") and they want 'em slightly green.
So, I chunk out blocks from the cant, then seal the ends with hot wax or AnchorSeal.
The better competition carvers tell me that a moisture content of 30 to 15% is the sweet spot.
The chisels and knives go through the moist basswood like buddah.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ron Wenrich

The carver I sent to always took it right off the saw.  It would take a long time to dry a 6x8.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Also sold with wood burning kits. Wood burning art looks great on basswood.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I am woodcarver and cut lots of basswood, you want it flatsawn and cut a liitle thick. If you cut 2" you want to cut in 2 1/4, 3" 3 1/4 etc. that way once it dries it will be true 2", 3" etc. The key to basswood is cut it in the winter, cut it flatsawn, and get it air drying covered on top out in the open. As far as cutting goes, box the heart and dry to avoid any dark colored wood, it needs to be white as possible and quickly getting it cut and air drying helps that a great deal. The softer the wood the better, as far as sizes 1",2",3",4" 5" if you can find big enough logs to yield it. Width doesn't matter the wider the better as you can always cut a big board down to smaller sizes. I kiln dry mine in a solar kiln but it can also be air dried and used after it has reached EMC. I did this bear last year this isn't a good picture but you get the idea.
Good luck

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Bibbyman

We sold a good little bit to woodcarvers years ago. Some of it even went to Australia - I understand they used it for internal parts in string musical instruments.    We haven't had a bit of interest in it in years.  I had a couple of good logs so I sliced it into 3" and 4" flitches and stoted it.  Last winter a neighbor was working on a project and wanted a light, white wood to make drawers.  I recut the flitches into boards.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!