iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID

Started by sr73087, October 30, 2014, 10:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr73087

I was driving last week and found some free wood. I believe some of it is a type of pine but think there is some other species mixed in. What do you guys think these are?

Jeff

Knowing at least from what region of the country it came from would help. I certainly looks like a conifer to me. No cones or needles?  If I were to guess at it if it was from here with the very limited info, I'd say white pine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sr73087

wdmn

Looks like you've got two species there...

The scaled bark one in pics 4 and 5 is red pine (Pinus resinosa).

I'm not positive about the other smoothed bark one; if I had to guess I'd say beech (Fagus grandifolia)....

Jeff

I don't think so.  I think it is the same species and samples from different parts of the tree. I'm sticking with white pine. I don't see Red Pine (Norway) in that and definitely not Beech.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wdmn

you could be right. I sort of see the resemblance to young P. strobus in pics 1-3

but I've chopped a lot of P. resinosa and 4-5 look like that to me. the bark is more scaly than P. strobus which is more furrowed...

wdmn

actually, looking at it again, it could be we're both right; you can see in pic 4 that it's actually two piles of wood... pics 1-3 could be white pine with the smooth, and then more furrowed bark below and to the right.

4-5 are different pile

BradMarks

I have no expertise on wood from that region, but if it were out here, pine would be the last thing I'd call it. Is there pitch? In the last pic shown the colorization of the heartwood makes me think some kind of fir or spruce. The bark looks flaky(spruce) in pic 4., and the reddish color under it reminds me of true fir. But heck, I said it to begin with ;D

curdog

Could the last picture be hemlock?

sr73087

Someone locally said there was some hemlock there. Not sure how knowledgeable he was though.

Silvanus

I'll second spruce on the last couple picks.  The bark looks real flaky. 

Not knowing where the trees came from (woods v. yard), it could be anything.
"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot."  -AL

sr73087

It looked like it came from the front yard and was left cut up.

SwampDonkey

Smooth stuff looks like white pine, I've cut lots of young pine with that white blotchiness in the bark. No pitch bubbles, so not fir. The rough stuff looks like an ornamental spruce. Why I say that isn't pine is because of the knots, there appear to be internodal knots where as pine would have well spaced whorls of knots growing on a lawn. Spruce get terribly limby on a lawn or open field.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Eastern White Pine, and Eastern Hemlock are my guesses.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I'm with dave,First 3 white pine,last 2,hemlock
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

So hard to tell from bark alone, no matter what it is.  I delivered a few Hickory logs this week with some gum and maple, got my check this afternoon no Hickory on the scale sheet, but I was paid for Ash, no biggie it pays the same.  Without leaves or at least branch pattern I have a hard time on some of them myself. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Southside logger,I hear ya on the bark part. Most times I can't tell either. But I have alot of white pine and hemlock on my land. This time I felt I knew the answer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Barney II

All pcs spruce ----probably a Norway spruce if it has large cones
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

LeeB

Judging by the way it is cut, I'm going to say it's firewood. ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I don't see the purplish inner layer of bark of a hemlock, I see brown.  I still think spruce on the rough one.  Couldn't rule out hemlock if you could see the purplish inner bark, maybe the photos don't do it justice. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!