iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 61 Carb question.

Started by janc, October 28, 2014, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janc

I have an elderly Husqvarna model 61 sn 141504, that is in overall good shape, but it is not getting fuel through the carb. rather than try to rebuild the Walbro ws 17 A carb which is NLA, I wanted to know if the Tillotson HS 163A that was also used on this saw, can be used and if it just bolts up.
I retired this saw when I bought a new 266xp back in 89, which is now the back up to a 372xp, I want to put the 61 back in service to for someone who needs a saw this size.
Any other advice on this saw is welcome.

I called Husqvarna and spoke to a customer service person who seemed to have as much knowledge about saws as my dogs do about space travel, so I don't know if they were correct when they said their saws are assembled in the USA, with parts from China and misc other countries. 

Thanks

Janc

SawTroll

The Tilly HS-163 will fit, and actually was the most common carb on the white top and gray top 61s.

That "service person" obviously was talking about the cheap consumer saws that are assambled at the Poulan factory (and seldom branded Husky) - not Husky saws in general.  ;)
Information collector.

Spike60

Quote from: janc on October 28, 2014, 03:41:29 PM

I called Husqvarna and spoke to a customer service person who seemed to have as much knowledge about saws as my dogs do about space travel,

That's hilarious, and made me laugh my tail off. And it's no doubt accurate too. CS reps are generally complete zeros when it comes to any type of tech knowledge. They are just there to give back rubs to unhappy customers.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

janc

Do you know if there is any way to find out where a particular husqvarna saw is made?   I understand much of their low end consumer products  are of questionable quality due to the suppliers and country of origin.
I don't mind paying for quality and know I have a much better chance of having a good product that won't quit on me when I am off in the woods and put a stop a project, if I know it was made in a country with high materials and manufacturing standards.

Quote from: SawTroll on October 29, 2014, 07:19:26 AM
The Tilly HS-163 will fit, and actually was the most common carb on the white top and gray top 61s.

That "service person" obviously was talking about the cheap consumer saws that are assambled at the Poulan factory (and seldom branded Husky) - not Husky saws in general.  ;)

Spike60

The only Huskys made in the US are the Poulan derived models. "shared product" in coporate speak. Just about everything else is made in Sweden. There is a Husqvarna factory in Brazil making a mix of current and non current, (for the US) models. Those saws are for the South and Central American market, and are not imported to the US. (But a pallet of 288's sure would be nice.) Some parts for models that are procuced there are inported into the US, such as 272 top ends. (Excellent quality).

There are some other anomalies in Eastern Europe, but I'll let Sawtroll explain them. I think some 61's might have been produced in Yugoslavia years ago? Niko, jump in here and finish the story.  :P
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

chet

Quote from: Spike60 on October 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM
I think some 61's might have been produced in Yugoslavia years ago? Niko, jump in here and finish the story.  :P

I still have 3 running 61's that are Yugoslavian vintage.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Maine logger88

That would be cool too get a brand new 288 I guess I gotta make a friend in South America lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

janc

Thanks for the information on the Carb, I have ordered one and will see how she likes it.
The 61 says Emab- Electrolux Motor, Made in Sweden,  my other three Husky saws, 266xp, 372xp and 338xpt, say Husqvarna, Sweden, I will have to stop in to one of the junk stores like Home depot and see what their cheap huskys have on them.

joe_indi

61s were being produced in Brazil some years ago. At least the one that I saw.

dougand3

I noticed fleabay has new AM carbs for Husq 61 262 268 272.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on October 31, 2014, 10:33:17 AM
61s were being produced in Brazil some years ago. At least the one that I saw.

They still are, as far as I know.
Information collector.

janc

Follow up on the 61 repair.
I purchased a replacement HS-163A carb, from Ebay, for about $35. made in Brazil. Cut a few new gaskets, new fuel line and filter, put it together, and away she went. After a little tuning, it runs like it should.

The sales person at Lowe's did say if I wanted a good saw, I should go buy a Stihl, and all the Huskys they carried were junk.

here is a link to husky saws and which ones are made in the USA.
http://www.chainsaw.com/shop/husqvarna?view_page=2&view_page=3&view_page=4&view_page=1

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on October 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM

There are some other anomalies in Eastern Europe, but I'll let Sawtroll explain them. I think some 61's might have been produced in Yugoslavia years ago? Niko, jump in here and finish the story.  :P

From that model "family", the models I know has been made at the TOMOS factory (Yugoslavia, later Slovenia) are the 61, 66 and 266xp. This was going on at least up to 1997 or so, but I don't know what happened after that.

The models that still are made in Brazil is the 61 and the 272xp, as far as I know.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!