iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day at The Mill with Customsawyer

Started by julio, October 27, 2014, 09:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Well I am now going to tell the rest of the story. The first break down was the z-fuses for the hyd. it wasn't the fuses fault. I had a screw work lose that holds the brass block for the contact strip come loose. When this screw hit the contact strip it bent and broke the entire bracket that the brass block is mounted to. Julio and I dove into the middle of it with a large crescent wrench and a big hammer. We got everything straitened out and welded back together with new fuzes renstalled. Started sawing and a little while later loaded the largest log of the day. Needless to say we blew the fuze again. Dive off in there with a couple more fuzes. Julio, now having experience starts taking things apart while I am grabbing tools and spare parts. I hear Julio say "whoops", I reply what does "whoops mean"? He said something about a bolt twisting off. I stepped back a bit and am thinking that I will still be milling this job on Monday. Julio comes up out of the saw dust with a bracket that needs a new bolt and a battery cable that needs replaced. In the process of closing up the truck to head to the auto parts store the customers son says, "I think dad has some of those in the shop." We go in the shop and low and behold the exact battery cable we need is hanging on the wall. It is even the right color. After a little digging we didn't find the perfect bolt but found one that would work. As long as Julio is doing the install. 20 Min. later Julio has me up and running again. When we got the mill home the next day we were sitting it up and blew the fuze again. The cause of all of this is due to the brass block being worn out and needing replaced. (Don't put off replacing that part anymore). ;)
I have since replaced the fuze block with the same one that Magicman posted he had done. ( Thanks @Magicman). So as you all can now see there is no way I would have gotten this job done with out Julio or the extra mile that the customer went. Jeff I need one of those smiles that put their hands together and bows. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Good show Jake.  A bad/loose connection is a sure fuse blower.  Also it seems that the need to finish a job will also blow fuses.   ;D

Those new fuses are listed as "slo-blow" so I imagine that they will be more forgiving.  I found a good price for them with free shipping on ebay.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Just don't use the Safety No-Blow brand of fuses! That's what an electrician friend of mine calls a 1/2" piece of copper pipe stuffed in in place of the fuse.  :D I think my connections are good on my Z fuses, but I like that upgrade. I'll have to do that at some point.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Red Clay Hound

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Sixacresand

Once when I visited Jake while he was milling, he quickly offered me a pair of gloves.  I am sure Julio brought his own.   :D  Good job, Guys. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 31, 2014, 08:29:37 AM
Once when I visited Jake while he was milling, he quickly offered me a pair of gloves.  I am sure Julio brought his own.   :D  Good job, Guys.
Got to be carefull when using Jakes gloves ;)
They are lible to work you into the ground ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

Here are a few more pics the customer sent me.

These are the young men that the customer hired to help stack lumber.

This is the customers wife and his son's dog, Red.

The logs getting ready.

This is the customer and the tree length logs. Or the before shot.

This is some of the lumber. The after shot.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

slider

Jake won't admit but I think he learned that backwards sawing from his uncle Al.
al glenn

WDH

Whew!  I am glad that I went fishing  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

julio

Danny I sure wish you had been there I sure could have used some relief. It was a great day though.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

mockman

Well, I'm the customer Jake is talking about, and I gotta tell you that that I'm probably the happiest customer in South Georgia right about now! I've been looking at those big pine trees for 20 years dreaming of having them sawn into big boards, and I'm fortunate that I found Jake to help fulfill my dreams. I had no clue as to the amount of work that went into my stacks of wood, Jake and Julio worked us like slaves, but we all had a blast!
Ain't nothing any prettier than a giant pile of boards cut from your own trees!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mockman on November 03, 2014, 09:17:35 PM
Well, I'm the customer Jake is talking about, and I gotta tell you that that I'm probably the happiest customer in South Georgia right about now! I've been looking at those big pine trees for 20 years dreaming of having them sawn into big boards, and I'm fortunate that I found Jake to help fulfill my dreams. I had no clue as to the amount of work that went into my stacks of wood, Jake and Julio worked us like slaves, but we all had a blast!
Ain't nothing any prettier than a giant pile of boards cut from your own trees!

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

You picked the right sawyer, for sure.  Jake is one of the very best.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Congrats on getting the sawing done and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mockman.  :)

Now I am thinking that you must have a building in mind??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum Mockman. Now you have to get Ron on here so we can help him with his mill.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Mockman! Good job Jake!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!