iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which piece should I cut first?

Started by ckprivette, October 26, 2014, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckprivette

hey y'all!

In the next 2 weeks I'll be felling the poplar trees from which I'll make all the components for my TF shed (similar to the Sobon, but a tad bigger.) Since this project will take me a few months I'm wondering if there are considerations concerning which pieces to make first? Obviously, the firsts ones i cut will have more time to sit, dry, check, and shrink than the last ones. I assume this is a normal part of timber framing, but being this is my first rodeo I'd like to give consideration to all that warrants it.

And should I store the completed parts inside, or outside under shelter?

(I am planning to seal the end grain of all parts.)

Shavings of thanks!! chris

The Lord is my shepherd.

Jim_Rogers

We normally start with cutting joints in the sills and floor joists. If you milled these first and cut these joints and let them sit a while, should the check "a lot" then these timbers would be hidden, (under the floor decking, and by the siding) and never show.
These timbers are the place to make your first mistakes for the same reason (they will never show).

And when you build a building you start at the bottom and work your way up.
That would mean you do your sills and floor joists, then posts, tie beams, tie beam braces, plates and plate braces, and finish with rafters and collar beams.

Storing out of the weather will maintain the color of the fresh sawn wood. Outside or inside good air flow should be considered, rain cover for outside storage would be great.

Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

canopy

Generally you want to leave timbers at least 6 weeks so that you build after they develop bow. Yes, you are right about that--get those end cuts sealed immediately.

If you are somewhat new then I would select pieces that fit together and test fit them as each piece is finished. Otherwise you risk doing something wrong on all of them and not detecting it until the mistake has been repeated everywhere. Once you get a set fit together and it looks like your processes are sound, then switch to cranking out all the same kind of member before switching to another for efficiency.

Sticker the completed members and keep them protected from rain and sun and assure there is air flow through the stack. See archives on ways people properly cover their wood.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: canopy on October 27, 2014, 08:21:54 PM
Generally you want to leave timbers at least 6 weeks so that you build after they develop bow.

Some do, some don't; we normally don't we'll cut a timber on the mill in the morning and start cutting joints in the afternoon. Let the drying happen in the frame when it's erected.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

My first steps once the timber is delivered, is to grade and earmark each timber to each position in the plan and determine if there are any outliers in terms of quality and dimension.  I then plan out any corrections, if needed, or call the sawyer if I must.  Your order of cutting and layout depends on the scheme whether scribe, square rule or mapping each requires it's own approach.   So begin where your dimensions are most secure.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Thank You Sponsors!