iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate it when someone waits to long for a great deal

Started by bigred1951, October 26, 2014, 08:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Someone i know has been wanting to get mill now for a few years. He is set on a timberking and wants basic hydraulics but nothing very exspensive. Well a 2005 or 2006 timberking B20 came up for sale about 30 mins away. The woman who had it for sale said her husband bought it brand new and used it till he passed away. It had been under shelter its whole life with only 550 hours on it and it came with a debarker, tooth setter and sharpener. She was only asking $14,000 for it all. Well he went and looked at it and wanted it. But of course he went on well it would put me in a bind if i got it right now or i was gonna wait till the spring to look for one and so on. Well a couple days later he called the lady back and yup you guessed it it was done sold. It was sold within a week of her posting it for sale. Another great deal passed by

Chuck White

Me too.

When I started looking for a sawmill, I left word with Wood-Mizer Hannibal that I was looking for a Hydraulic LT-40, and if they had someone come in to trade up or whatever, have them give me a call.

About a month and a half later I got a call from the previous owner of the mill I now own.  We set up a date and I went to look at it, see it sawing, etc. and came home with it a couple of hours later!

Both parties happy now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bigred1951

I told him if he waits and dont get it then later on he will be spending a lot more for a smaller mill without the extras. Then ill have to hear about it for a long time him saying i wish i would have bought that when i had the chance. Ive heard it a million times haha

drobertson

Reminds me of the ole saying, lead a horse to water?  It's always a tough call making taking the bite.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

My Dad had a saying; 

Opportunity knocks once.....then it kicks you in the butt and walks away.  My Dad was a wise man.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

I had looked at a couple of mills (3 brands) and nothing seemed to be the right fit.  Brian (RIP) of Sawmill Exchange called me within 15 minutes of listing a mill he thought I might be interested in.  I was there about 3 hours later, I had to drive 1/2 way across Missouri to see it.   running-doggy

It was a couple of thousand over my 'budget' but it was the right one (an 18 month old B-20 with 5 hours).  Bought it on the spot.  Interesting conversation with my wife over dinner that night (she's very supportive though).   smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Cedarman

Waiting to buy a mill at the lowest price possible is like waiting to buy stocks until they hit a low.  You stock buyers know what happens.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

36 coupe

This brings back the time I had a Glenwood cookstove for sale.It was an enamel stove with a short fire box.I bought a restored Home Clarion stove that would take a 24 inch stick.The Glenwood sat beside the fridge for 2 years.A few lookers wouldnt pay the 500 bucks I had on it.One morning I got 2 calls on it.First fellow looked it over and walked.Second fellow came an hour later looked it over and handed me the money and said lets load it.A bit later the first fellow came back wanting to buy the stove.Too late.He wanted to know who bought it,thought he could buy it, No dice.During the first fake oil crisis I sold 250 wood burning heater stoves.

beenthere

;D
Reminds me when I walked into a Sears store and right by the door was a "damaged" medium size tool box with a price tag marked way down to $100. Had roller drawer slides. I bought it.
When I was loading it a guy came running from the parking lot and yelling that it was his.
Gee, I said I don't think so as I just paid for it.
He says he was checking (I suspect with his wife) the price and was coming back to buy it.
There was only a small dent in the front of one drawer.

QuoteBut of course he went on well it would put me in a bind if i got it right now or i was gonna wait till the spring to look for one and so on.
Sounds like the guy was trying to play the sympathy card with the woman selling, hoping to get a lower price if she felt sorry for him. Glad she didn't bite. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sealark37

Contractor1

Could not count the times at equipment auctions I should have raised my hand or was day dreaming. The positive thing is someone else got a good deal and he got the experience for free.

Brucer

I've seen this kind of behaviour many times. I have a theory, too. I think a lot of people like the idea of owning a sawmill (for example) and get very excited by the process of choosing one. But they have never thought about all the things involved in actually operating one as a business (or even as a hobby). So when an opportunity comes along, they hesitate and procrastinate until the opportunity is gone. I suspect it's actually their subconscious steering them away from what (for them) might be a bad idea.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!