iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adding a freestanding heater to my unheated room

Started by adamant, October 26, 2014, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamant

we added a 20x20 sunroom to our house that is unheated. putting a register vent out there is not feasible. i like to install a standalone heater out there that i can tie into my pex feed line coming from the boiler. i do have access to the crawl space. what are my options?
whats your opinion on one that central boiler has to offer?       http://www.centralboiler.com/media/FanConvectorsFlyer.pdf     possible this one  FS26 Free-standing
Fan Convector
central boiler 6048
son's off to collage and he was replaced with a timber wolf tw 5

dave_dj1

Any type of radiation should work. Do you want baseboard heat or maybe radiant? Cast iron radiators. Depending on your wall layout and space you should be able to pretty much do whatever you would like.

snowstorm

i built my own. a small modine used from craigs list. built an enclosure from some cedar i had used a louvered panel on the top and end along with a aqua start and some varnish. $ 150 total spent. how much is the one from cb??   

Holmes

That looks like a nice unit. 26,000 btus should warm that room up quickly.
Think like a farmer.

r.man

I saw a house that was heated by an OWB that used heater cores that were made for 70s Chevys. I think he had six on the main floor each with its own fan. He liked the evenness of the heat and without ductwork in the house it was a cheap way to provide heat over a wide area.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WmFritz

I used one of these to supplement heat in a bathroom at our cabin.

http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com/water-to-air-heat-exchangers/hwc-12x12.html

When the temps are in the 50°- 60° daytime temps, we mainly heat with a pellet stove. But, having the bathroom temps higher is nice, especially for morning showers. This water to air exchanger works well. The room is 12'x 14' and I can take the temperature from 65° to 72° in ten minutes or so.  I have it plumbed into a zone valve which is controlled by a t-stat in the bathroom. I have a small fan moving air through the h/x that is turned on/off with a snap switch. Right now the h/x is free standing on the floor. My plan is to box it in with louvers like snowstorm described and make a slab bench seat on top; eventually. 

I have around $100 in it.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

davidlarson

In the alternative methods  world, rocket stoves and rocket mass heaters are getting a lot of attention.  I googled these terms and found a lot of information.  Is this a good idea, or just something goofy?
David L.

Thank You Sponsors!