iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One piece table top slab question

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 24, 2014, 11:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ox

I guess it doesn't - it appears I didn't mention it.   :D ::)

I've got some 3" thick black cherry slabs around 28" to 30" wide and around 8' long that I fully expect to take 3 years or more to cure.  Painted the ends, stickered and covered and I'll just wait it out.  I'll use what that old 200 year old tree decides to let me use.  So far so good with the checking.  I know some just check within a week of milling but these are over a month.  I also realize they can do still anything but it's looking good so far compared to other stuff I've seen.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

taylorsmissbeehaven

So here is my first attempt at the slab table thing. It is 2.5" thick and 24" wide. It is a bedside table in my house. I made a lot of mistakes but enjoyed the build. The drawer is operational and was supposed to match the live edge as I had them stacked in order. I think the one I wanted got sold by accident but I made due with another piece. It is River Birch that came to me in a load of firewood. Brian

Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You made that River Burch firewood proud.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

So is everyone useing the old antique tennor bits to drill the large holes ???
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

taylorsmissbeehaven

so nothing antique about what I used. its basically a forstner bit and a tenon cutting bit. google lumberjack tools to see the version. I have a cheaper model but have been impresses with and had some fun using it. Learning as I go, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!