iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my son made his first spoon

Started by yukon cornelius, October 23, 2014, 09:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

my 14 year old made a spoon today. im so proud of him! He is off to a great start. he is collecting Old hand tools to start learning non electric woodworking. 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chip off the "OLd Block". Best of luck to your son and hope he post more of his craftsmanship. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Congrats to the new carver.  What species?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

That is a mighty fine soup sipper there. Excellent job.
Man makes plans and God smiles

yukon cornelius

yes it is from the spoon species! :D it was from a hickory limb. he is going to make some more larger ones. I want to find him some wood to make more with but maybe not as hard as hickory. any recommendations? what about ash? im so proud of him! as stated before, I am NO wood carver!

beenthere

A tight species like beech is good for a spoon. Cherry or maple should be good.
Stay away from the ring porous woods with large pores as the oaks, hickory, ash.

A nice job on the spoon, and he stuck to it on the hickory which is an extra pat on the back.

And rive out some blanks to work with, as the natural flow of the grain in the handle will keep the strength and may even help to shape the curves of the spoon, or whatever utensil.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

thanks been there! I will start looking for those woods for him to try.

21incher

Great job! It looks like you are rubbing off on him. I wonder how cherry would work? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

breederman

I have used cherry out of the wood pile a few times, I like the color .
Together we got this !

Woodcarver

Any of the fruit woods will work well. In addition to the other woods mentioned, birch will work, also.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ozarkgem

I have used Birch and hackberry for spoons. Thorny Locust works excellent and have a really nice grain. I will see if I can find some of my spoons made from different wood.
A very nice job on his first spoon. Mine sure wasn't that good.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

thanks guys! I will be on the lookout for some new woods for him.

curdog

That is really cool, I know your definitely proud of him. I made a spoon out of some type of ornamental cherry, the wood was beautiful,  my spoon. ..... not so much

Swatson

Very nice!  I wish my boys would show some interest in wood working.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

mad murdock

Nice job for the first article!!  Did he work it in the green? or was the wood cured?  Does he have a hook knife (spoon knife) for the bowl?  I am working on my arsenal of carving knives so I can improve my end result.  Mora makes some fine hook knives at really friendly prices. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

yukon cornelius

Quote from: mad murdock on October 27, 2014, 02:19:20 PM
Nice job for the first article!!  Did he work it in the green? or was the wood cured?  Does he have a hook knife (spoon knife) for the bowl?  I am working on my arsenal of carving knives so I can improve my end result.  Mora makes some fine hook knives at really friendly prices.

it was a small tree that was cut back early in the summer. he does have a hook knife. he got a really nice set of carving knives for Christmas. he just started a walnut spoon today. we are both learning. we are going to get some green wood and let him give that a shot.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

yukon cornelius

here is his third spoon! I didn't get a pic of his second one. he wants to make and sell these in the future. I am so proud of him!

CHARLIE

Yukon Cornelius, your son did a fine job making that spoon.  Be sure he keeps it, uses it and takes care of it 'cause when he gets a lot older, that spoon will be mighty special to him as his first spoon. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dablack

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2014, 10:46:20 PM
Congrats to the new carver.  What species?

I'm assuming he is human......
Building my own house in East TX

LaneC

Those are very fine spoons. Do you know what size gouger he used, or did he use a gouger? They are very nice, I would be proud too.

yukon cornelius

thanks for all the encouragement for him! when I show him the comments he beams! he used just regular wood chisels and an old half round chisel to dish it out. im still looking for more appropriate tools for him. today he finished a great one out of a redbud limb. I will post a pic later.  ;D

LaneC

I watched Paul Sellers make a spoon on you tube, and he used a # 7, 35mm straight gouge. That is about 1-1/4 inches. He makes it look easy, however I think, that all of his experience makes it look easy. Those gouges are high. I think 54.00 for 1, but it may be a very useful tool and make it easier for him, and last a lifetime. They are out of them at Highland Mills(woodworking site) but they have the # 9, 25mm which is 1 inch. I sure am glad he took to that sort if thing. Congrats on the young Lad. He may could learn a tip from that video from a very respectable woodworker. Any who, tell him to stick with it and congrats. I know it always makes me feel good too when someone says good things about my kids.

Thank You Sponsors!