iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro + it's all my fault

Started by 78NHTFY, October 23, 2014, 09:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

Firstly, all you folks on this Forum are hot tickets.  Have been reading here for years and should have intro'd myself long before this.  A large amount of what I have managed to do on my Tree Farm is through the wise counsel and excellent advice found here.  So a big thanks to you all!!!!!  From cutting down trees, hauling them from the woods, sawing them up, placement of stickers, planing lumber, making furniture, selling lumber, pricing,  well the list goes on and on... there has always been a better way, a more efficient system, that I used based on what you all have discussed.  I'm not a big sit-at-the-computer guy, but this is a must-have for me.  Here are a few pics of the pole barn I've been building (basically a one-man-operation) over the past 2 years--it's all my fault--was inspired by what you all have been doing to keep your equipment under cover.  All the best, Rob.
; ; ;;
If you have time, you win....

buzywoodliff

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. That is a very unique pole barn. I like it. bg

Magicman

Oh my Rob, you have been here since July 2006, but you have been mighty quiet, and that is a fine pole barn that you are building.  You have much to share.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You take the cake, Rob! Your barn?......OUT OF THIS WORLD! I'm very impressed.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

No kidding... don't be a stranger.
I wanna see more, more, more!  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

That polebarn is a beauty!

Thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

fine barn.After the first pix it kept getting bigger.I bet it was fun putting the roof on.
al glenn

thecfarm

I like the equipment you have too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

very good looking bldg.! welcome :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

dablack

Great looking barn for sure!

You are a better man than I!  Looking at those huge ladders in those pictures, makes me dizzy while sitting at my computer!

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

LittleJohn

78NHTFY - I like the drey skidder I see in the foreground of the 3rd picture, what kind of power unit do you have to operate it??

I ask cause the old man has one was a similar style (accept it was made by Majako, or something like that); very useful little piece of equipment for small logging operations, or for use loading mill/removing slabs  ;D

fishpharmer

Rob, thanks for sharing.  I like your barn.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

78NHTFY

...thanks for all the kind comments! (this is my second reply, first one went poof..).
LittleJohn; CFarm; WmFritz-- I run the PATU Forwarding Trailer (Finnish co.) with my Case 695 tractor.  Amazing how equipment has made my life easier.(Or has it freed me up to do the other 50 projects that need doing?)  Used to go in the wood with my truck and trailer and cut 4' lengths and haul by hand. NOW: ATV (Honda Foreman 400) into woods with chainsaws (Stihl 361 + Farmboss) and cut trees (WP/Hemlock; Ash/Maple/Birch/Oak/Beech; then back with 25 HP Kubota with winch and haul logs to side of logging trail; then back with Case/Patu and load bucked up logs with grapple and back to sawmill (LT40 manual+ added hydraulic loader) or cordwood shed.  Here's a couple of pics of that operation. ; ;
DaBlack--That's my weight loss program!  Am down to college wrestling weight, well almost. :D
Slider--yup, roof was fun!  Rafters were a challenge; 1" random width board roof sheathing went fine; fitting and screwing down 12' metal roofing was, well let's say my wife's yoga contortions were nothing by comparison :D :D :D  Got er done and never Slidered (sorry Slider, couldn't help it ;D) off the roof once!
PostonLT40HD: it is my barn, all of it!  But it think my equipment has claimed it for themselves.
Magicman: ...had to learn everything I could from youse guys first.  Better to keep quiet until one has something worthwhile to say...hopefully that applies to the above.
All the best, Rob.

LittleJohn

I have almost the exact same setup for the forwarding trailer (I call drey skidder), only difference other than color  :D is that I have an articulated tongue on trailer, and a winch (with chokers) mounted between boom and head rack.  Power it with either hydro's of off my John Deere, or the power unit I have mounted in the duallie (originally on trailer, but removed to make room for MORE WOOD)

I also have a LT40 manual, but I use boom from trailer to place/position logs on mill.  Only have to readjust/relevel mill once a day because of this method of loading.

**Good luck with the build, and again what an impressive barn/out-building

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scsmith42

Very cool looking barn!  I really like the layout.

Can you share the dimensions?  Ie width between the poles from side to side, height of the first and second floors, etc.  Thx.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

Wow, some very nice equipment and layout.  You may be new at posting, but you ain't new at getting things done. 8)
Glad to have you aboard.  Can't wait to hear more about your operation and projects.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

blade69001

Can we have some more pics please?
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

BradMarks

Excellent looking barn. Very impressive. Who gets to sleep on the top floor? ;D

RM Farm

Hello 78NHTFY,

I really like the barn. I am new to the milling process and looking for ways to build a barn with the lumber. I now have some more ideas, thanks for the pics. However, I think I'll keep my roof a little closer to the ground. :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

OneWithWood

78NHTFY,

Great looking building!  You got to admit all this logging, milling, acquiring new toys is a hoot-an-a-half.  8) 8)

Keep posting.  You have much to teach many.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

customsawyer

I like the barn and the whole set up. You Sir are no longer allowed to sit in the bushes and be quiet. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

78NHTFY

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 24, 2014, 03:48:05 PM
Very cool looking barn!  I really like the layout.

Can you share the dimensions?  Ie width between the poles from side to side, height of the first and second floors, etc.  Thx.
Thanks--dimensions are 36' long, 32' wide with 3 bays of 7' , 16' and 9'.  The 7' bay will be for the LT 40 which has been outside in the weather for the past 8 years!  Roof heights are 13'  and 10'.  Why? 'cause the poles were that long and I hated the idea of cutting them.  Second floor will store plenty of hay for my beef (7 now, down from 19!) cattle.  Still mulling on the doors for the large bay, whether to have solid overheads or to have two, split into 4' foldables.  Gives me something to think about during my frequent nights of insanity insomnia.  All the best, Rob.  And of course, another pic for ya.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=93890#top_display_media

Thank You Sponsors!