iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best professional saw, with larger displacement

Started by aaaice, October 23, 2014, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaaice

I am not a professional, but if I was, what would the best machine be to buy, that has large displacement / high power, and can handle bars pretty long, for sure over 30" for slicing very-very large trunks already on the ground? New machine OK, or older machine OK. I have time . . . .
We can still save this country, by converting one sheep at a time . . .

mad murdock

I'll test the waters on this question......If it were me, it would depend on the amount of use, and the potential for return.  If it was an occasional thing, and/or there were not much return on my effort as far as what i get out of my effort, I would go for a good used saw, along the order of any 80cc plus variant, with a bias towards anything that was painted black and yellow, or green. If it was a bar over 48" I would want something in the 100cc plus range, again used, unless there were no prospects of a decent used saw.  If it were a money making deal that depended upon the ability to use such a saw day in/day out with a high degree of dependability in mind, i may still opt for a good used saw with spares to back it up, and plan on being my own shop to fix any issues, or If i did not have ths skills/tools to fix it myself, I would look at New,  then it would be Husky395 as my first choice for a bar less tha 48" and if it was needed to be that or longer, a Husky 3120, with the Stihl 660/880 as a second choice new.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

For over 30" bars, I really like my Stihl 084. Smallest bar I run on it is 33".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

X2 what clww and mad murdock said.
But aaaice, seeing your in Michigan your timber would compare what I have here in Manitoba.
Either a Stihl MS461 or a Husqvarna 576XP AutoTune sporting a 28" b/c is all you need......that is if you can keep the chain decently filed .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

aaaice

Wow, OK, first I spend quite a bit of time in old growth forest in Northern Ontario. Black, yellow or green, does that mean Mccolluch, or Deere? 100CC, is best Husky, Stihl, other? Fastest cutting, most durable bars and chain? Thanks for the help !

mad murdock

Quote from: aaaice on October 24, 2014, 02:41:09 PM
Wow, OK, first I spend quite a bit of time in old growth forest in Northern Ontario. Black, yellow or green, does that mean Mccolluch, or Deere? 100CC, is best Husky, Stihl, other? Fastest cutting, most durable bars and chain? Thanks for the help !
My personal preference is to McCulloch, Pioneer/Partner, Poulan, then in the newer stuff, Husky first Stihl second.
Bars, for the long bars, I like Canon bars, They make some real good ones, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Andyshine77

Parts for older saws are getting harder to find, people are buying and collecting older saws more than ever before.

The Husky 395 and Stihl 660 would both be more versatile, than the bigger 100+cc saws. With that said if you're only use for the saw is bucking huge rounds that are already on the ground, sure why not go with the biggest saw you can.
Andre.

aaaice

Great, I am going to investigate some of the older/other brands, as I like the older stuff. The Husky VS. Stihl thing has been bothering me for many years. I always heard that Husqvarna was the ultimate. That being said, I recently heard that Poulan bought Husqvarna, and that they arent the same anymore. You experts can give me the skinny on this. I travel quite a bit hunting and fishing, so I want to be prepared to cut just about any tree, any size, with more than one machine in my arsenal. I want to build up my bush equipment/supplys, in general for living out in the bush in general. I am not opposed to Stihl either. Most of the heavy duty / long bar machines I see on You-Tube videos seem to be Stihl or other, and this was curious.

Dave Shepard

I haven't heard anything about Poulan buying Husky. My 2014 395XP is every bit as good as my older Husky saws.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

aaaice

The owner of an established dealer/ repair shop of every chainsaw, lawnmower, snowblower, and etc. of over 50 years in my area was telling another customer while i was waiting for him to write up my snowblower the other day. That is when I overheard the Husqvarna / Poulan thing for clarification

JohnG28

As I know it both Husky and Poulan are owned by Electrolux, so the are part of the same company now but that's all. Husky saws are still Swede and just as good as they ever were. I'd say 394/395 Husky or 066/660 Stihl. Either saw is going to be able to run a pretty long bar but still be manageable to get around,  at least a bit. Big saw with a big bar gets real heavy real fast and aren't exactly east to lug through the woods/brush. They're both pretty solid workhorses with a long record. If you go with a 660 a dual port muffler makes a quick and necessary bump in power and it's a nice saw otherwise.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Quote from: aaaice on October 24, 2014, 08:11:54 PM
The owner of an established dealer/ repair shop of every chainsaw, lawnmower, snowblower, and etc. of over 50 years in my area was telling another customer while i was waiting for him to write up my snowblower the other day. That is when I overheard the Husqvarna / Poulan thing for clarification

Electrolux bought the Poulan brand some 20 years ago. Husqvarna is it's own company now, completely separate from Electrolux. Poulan produces one chainsaw model for Husky, the 240 which is a 38cc homeowner saw.   
Andre.

mad murdock

Husqvarna also owns McCulloch and Redmax. The only new McCulloch saw they sell is a mid reange homeowner saw in the world 40-50cc range. Lots of parts for the 10 series macs still.

brettl

You'll be happy with Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar. Depends mostly on dealer support where you're at unless you do your own work.

aaaice

Maybe It'll come down to weight to decide between Husky and Stihl for the 100CC'er. Sounds like you can put Headers on the Stihl to get more power ;^} I like that . . . .
Best Long Bars? Best Chain for ripping through big trunks and durability?

aaaice

Oh, by the way, my search for older saws came up almost empty today, but I will look into it further . . .

Dave Shepard

In Stihl and Husky the biggest saws are 119 and 124 cc. The next step down is the 395/660 which are low 90's. The Husky is a little bit heavier, but the spring suspension, air injection, and better stock power more than make up for it, in my opinion.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawTroll

Quote from: mad murdock on October 25, 2014, 02:44:36 AM
Husqvarna also owns McCulloch and Redmax. .....

Yes, but the list is much longer than that..... ;)
Information collector.

Yatt

Quote from: aaaice on October 24, 2014, 08:11:54 PM

See 1986 & 1990.

http://husqvarnagroup.com/en/about/history/timeline

Timeline

Husqvarna 325 years

Gardena

Automower

Lil Wettergren, board member

Early powercutter

Early chainsaw

Husqvarna motorcycle

Old commercial

Old rifle

Waterfalls in Huskvarna

Husqvarna's first logotype

We celebrate our 325th anniversary. One of the oldest companies in the world, yet young enough to eagerly look forward to future challenges.

Decision to invest in a new production facility for manufacturing of chainsaw chains in Huskvarna, Sweden. The Group will also invest in expanded capacity for manufacturing of cylinders for two-stroke engines for chainsaws in the Group's facilities in Nashville, U.S. and Huskvarna, Sweden.

A new range of semi-professional battery products was launched to the market. Husqvarna is already offering a wide range of battery-powered products, including our robotic mower Automower.

Husqvarna acquires Gardena as well as Zenoah and Klippo.

Husqvarna is spun off from Electrolux and the shares are listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm.

Acquisition of Diamant Boart International, a leading producer of diamond tools for the construction and stone industries, with annual sales of about SEK 2,500 m and about 2,000 employees.

Acquisition of Marazzini Ernesto in Italy, which produces lawn mowers and other outdoor products.

The diamond tools product area expands through the acquisition of Magnum Diamond & Machinery, JKS Lamage and Cushion Cut in North America. Acquisition of Bluebird Inc. in the US, a small producer of lawn aerators and dethatchers, complements Husqvarna's range of equipment for maintenance of large landscaped areas.

Acquisition of the European operations in McCulloch of the US, which produces light-weight chainsaws, trimmers, hedge clippers and leaf blowers and has annual sales of SEK 650m and 250 employees. Acquisition of Yazoo-Kees, a small US producer focused mainly on riders for professional maintenance of large landscaped areas.

The sewing machine operation is divested to Industri Kapital, a Swedish investment company.

Launch of the market's first solar-powered, self-propelled lawn mower. Outdoor products continue to show good growth, with annual sales of SEK 15,902m.

Operations in Poulan/Weed Eater are complemented by the acquisition of Allegretti & Co in the US, which focuses on electrically- and battery powered portable garden equipment and has annual sales of SEK 450m and 1,100 employees. Sale of US garden tractors starts in Europe. Sales of Outdoor Products amount to SEK 8,680m.

Acquisition of gardening operations in Roper Corp in the US, one of the largest producers of lawn mowers, garden tractors and rotary tillers in the American market, with annual sales of about SEK 2,500m. The company's name is changed to American Yard Products. The US becomes the Husqvarna Group's largest market for garden equipment .

Acquisition of Dimas Försäljnings AB, which produces diamond cutters. The motorcycle operation is divested to Cagiva of Italy.

Acquisition of Poulan/Weed Eater in the US, with a product range that includes hobby chainsaws, lawn trimmers and leaf blowers, and annual sales of SEK 1,200m. The acquisition complements Husqvarna's product range and strengthens its position in the US market. Production of riders starts in Sweden.

Two acquisitions in France: Staub S.A. in rotary tillers, and the garden operations in Bernard Monteur, focused mainly on lawn mowers.

Acquisition of Norlett in Norway and Trail Manufacturing Ltd in Canada. Norlett produces and sells power lawn mowers, gardening equipment and snow-clearing machines. Trail Manufacturing Ltd produces hobby chainsaws.

Production of chainsaws starts in Brazil.

Acquisition of Jonsereds AB in Sweden and the Skil Corp operations in hobby chainsaws in the US, Jobu forestry products in Norway, and Pioneer Chain Saw Corp in Canada.

Electrolux acquires Husqvarna. Acquisition of AB Partner in Sweden, which produces professional chainsaws and has subsidiaries in Norway and the US. Power products now include chainsaws, motorcycles, lawn mowers and cutting machines, with total annual sales of SEK 531m.

Acquisition of AB Flymo in Malmö, the Parent company in a group that manufactures hover lawn mowers. The company has plants in the UK, Australia and Germany, and markets its products in about 20 countries.

Husqvarna starts production of chainsaws and power lawn mowers.

1934-1949

Household products develop rapidly in terms of both technology and sales. During this period Husqvarna produces its first electric cookers, dishwashers and washing machines.

Husqvarna acquires Norrahammars Bruk in Sweden and the product range expands to include heating boilers and lawn mowers.

Production of motorcycles starts.

Husqvarna AB is incorporated.

Husqvarna produces its first bicycle. Production continues until 1962, when it is transferred to Monark of Sweden.

The first grey-iron foundry is established and besides sewing machines kitchen equipment in cast iron is now produced such as meat mincers and later on stoves and ovens. Husqvarna's meat mincers were a great export success with over 12 million exported world-wide. 

New machinery for production of rifles turns out to be well suited for producing sewing machines. Husqvarna starts production of cast-iron sewing machines. The operation is divested in 1997.

Statutory General Meeting in Husqvarna.

When Swedish weapons production took off in the late 17th century, hydropower was needed to handle certain mechanical operations. The drillingwork at the waterfalls in Huskvarna in the south of Sweden is our first factory. At the beginning of the 18th century this state-owned rifle factory had some 1,000 employees. The last shotgun is produced in 1989.

More information can be found on www.husqvarnamuseum.se
Timeline

288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

aaaice

Thanks Yatt, SawTroll, & Dave, I feel better now. That Repair shop guy was all about Stihl for sure, not that there is anything wrong with that. He was saying they have the same Poulan bearings, and are made on the same line, and not as robust as Stihl, so I'll let the experts here comment on that. What is this longer list SawTroll?, I am not done buying saws, because you cant have too many, right? Dave, I think I will go with the big Husky. I would also like everyones opinion on the best saw to travel with, get deep into the bush, and say wanted to build a small cabin/shelter out of fir trees North of the 48th parallel. Light weight and reliability are the key factors here . . .

Andyshine77

Quote from: aaaice on October 27, 2014, 07:59:05 PM
Thanks Yatt, SawTroll, & Dave, I feel better now. That Repair shop guy was all about Stihl for sure, not that there is anything wrong with that. He was saying they have the same Poulan bearings, and are made on the same line, and not as robust as Stihl, so I'll let the experts here comment on that. What is this longer list SawTroll?, I am not done buying saws, because you cant have too many, right? Dave, I think I will go with the big Husky. I would also like everyones opinion on the best saw to travel with, get deep into the bush, and say wanted to build a small cabin/shelter out of fir trees North of the 48th parallel. Light weight and reliability are the key factors here . . .

Well there is a pretty big difference between a small cabin, and a shelter. Which one?  :)   
Andre.

mad murdock

I would have to agree with Andre, kind of an ambiguous scenario. But if I were considering remote work with minimal support, I would look to a good axe and crosscut saw or larger bow saw. Chainsaws are great but need gas and oil. If supply structure is not an issue than a good 70cc saw would be my first choice.

SawTroll

Quote from: aaaice on October 27, 2014, 07:59:05 PM

The "longer list" is pretty well covered by Yatt's post above. It isn't 100% complete, but nothing major is left out. If you miss Redmax on the list, it is just the brand name used for Zenoah products in the US (2007).

Your repair shop guy obviously gas been telling you some "mythology" regarding quality etc.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!