Sponsors:

Dolmar PS900 with a melted slug.

Started by Windy_Acres, October 23, 2014, 07:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windy_Acres

thecfarm

@Windy_Acres ,Was this one of them??

If so,try this,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Windy_Acres

Cfarm, thanks for the help with the pics.

I bought this saw as is, it barely ran, so I tore it down. I picked it up at auction so I have not history on it.

So Ive got this Dolmar PS9000 tore down. The crankcase looks dry to me, wanted some opinions.

The boot from the carb to cylinder is fine, just the same, I bought a new intake and replaced the bing with a tilliston in the event the carb is responsible for this melt down.

Was wondering if by looking at you can tell if it was run without oil, or just too lean ? Im a 4 stroke guy so Im a little out of my element here, and could use some passive input from passer-bys.

Was also wanting to know, with the aluminum sludge in the crankcase do I need to break this down totally, or wash it out, or  ?

Any ideas where to find specs, for this saw, I dont see repairs manuals for it coming up on the worlds largest garage sale. Do I treat this as a PS9010 for most purposes ? Is everything the same save for the ignition and the carb ?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Mapleman

I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure someone who knows more will be along to comment, but that crankcase sure looks dry, like it was run with straight gas.  The crankcase innards I've seen that were run with proper oil/gas mix all had an oily shine to them, yours does not.  And the piston sure looks trashed.  You might be able to save the cylinder but again, someone with more experience rebuilding saws might offer their opinions. 
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

celliott

I don't know anything about a Dolmar PS9000, except that it's probably a 90cc+ saw.

That piston is toast, on the exhaust side. Ran way too hot, too lean. Now why? That's another question. Could have been improperly mixed fuel, tuned too lean, ran too hard with a dull chain, an air leak, etc. etc.

You must find the reason why it melted down in the first place, or it will just do it again. Vac and pressure test to find an air leak. Crank seals could be suspect as well, but if I were to guess, I'd say tuned too lean\not enough oil in the fuel.

I think that cylinder can be saved. To remove the aluminum transfer, there are multiple methods. I like muriatic acid and a 3M pad, although make sure you ventilate. Other methods work as well.

If there is bits of aluminum down in the crankcase, it could be in the bearings as well. I have heard of folks removing the crank seals, and flushing with mixed fuel. Otherwise, you might need to replace the bearings. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and split the case, and do new bearings while you're rebuilding the top end anyways.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Windy_Acres

Thanks for the replies, guys, pretty much what I was thinking, about being run dry or way to lean. Im going to flush it and put it back together as soon as the new slug shows up, have the balance of the parts waiting here.

celliott

Did you get a new cylinder or were you able to salvage the old one?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Windy_Acres

Ive been busy chasing my tail getting prepared for winter, so the cylinder sits untouched, today I was going to pick up some acid and some scotchbrite and maybe this weekend, try my hand of removing the aluminum, and seeing whats under it.

The piston, just showed up, Ive been waiting for weeks.. now I have all the parts to reassemble assuming the jug is good, I will take a couple pics and post prior to closing it up.

celliott

Good luck with it!

I recently cleaned up a husky 359 jug, looked about like yours.
I used muriatic acid, and combined that with another method I hadn't tried before. I gotta say, it worked GREAT!

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cksVNkI4zps
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Windy_Acres

Thanks for the link, I tripped over that just last week. I dont have the means at the moment to do it that way, so it will be acid and scotchbrite !

JohnG28

That would be the work of Randy, aka Mastermind.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

celliott

Quote from: Windy_Acres on November 01, 2014, 06:36:54 PM
Thanks for the link, I tripped over that just last week. I dont have the means at the moment to do it that way, so it will be acid and scotchbrite !

You don't need a high speed air tool. I used a cordless drill. Hacksawed a slot on a nail (could use a wood dowel as well) and some emery cloth. The drill worked great. Eats up emery cloth pretty quick though.

Scotchbrite and acid will work. Takes alot of elbow grease and alot of patience!

Here's the 359 cylinder I salvaged.

Piston

Transfer on the exhaust side of the jug

And, cleaned up jug!

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Windy_Acres

Your right, your pics could almost interchange for mine !

If I can figure an arbor to swing the Emory cloth, I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip and the pics!

jocco

Quote from: celliott on November 01, 2014, 09:22:47 PM
Good job on that jug!!! You anywhere near Green banks Hollow? :)

Quote from: Windy_Acres on November 01, 2014, 06:36:54 PM

You don't need a high speed air tool. I used a cordless drill. Hacksawed a slot on a nail (could use a wood dowel as well) and some emery cloth. The drill worked great. Eats up emery cloth pretty quick though.

Scotchbrite and acid will work. Takes alot of elbow grease and alot of patience!

Here's the 359 cylinder I salvaged.

Piston

Transfer on the exhaust side of the jug

And, cleaned up jug!

You may check out but you will never leave

celliott

Quote from: jocco on November 02, 2014, 08:39:10 AM

Good job on that jug!!! You anywhere near Green banks Hollow? :)

Indeed I am.
Do I know you under another name?

Send me a PM  :)

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Quote from: Windy_Acres on November 01, 2014, 11:55:08 PM
Your right, your pics could almost interchange for mine !

If I can figure an arbor to swing the Emory cloth, I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip and the pics!

Like I said, I hacksawed a slot in a nail. Dead simple. Cutting a slot in a wood dowel would work the same too. It worked so well, I'll be doing all the rest of the scored cylinders I get this way  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

beenthere

Gets me some confused when post replies are made within quotes. Can't tell who says what.
Help... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Windy_Acres

I do have a box of nails here, I dont know the size, they are massive (relative to what Im used to using!), as in timber frame or barn nails, like 9" long and probably well over an 1/8" in diameter, I will try cutting one down and slotting it and see what happens.

How much "flapping" before I remove the nikasil ? My only concern. Do I remove most of the aluminum with acid first and then clean up it up, or do you start from "go" and do all the aluminum with the flapper tool ?

Thanks, Bill

Windy_Acres

Quote from: beenthere on November 02, 2014, 09:19:08 AM
Gets me some confused when post replies are made within quotes. Can't tell who says what.
Help... ;)

I have problems on this forum using the "quotes" function, although today it seems to work ? I assume its a browser or add on problem (firefox)

celliott

Quote from: beenthere on November 02, 2014, 09:19:08 AM
Help... ;)

I don't know how it happens...
I quoted the original post it happened in, and didn't see how to fix it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

That's a big nail  :D
I used a small one.

I haven't yet tried to sand it out from the get go. I used acid first to get the bulk of it, and what was left, the stubborn spots, I used the sanding method on.
As to sanding through the nikasil plating? I don't know how much it would take, but yeah, you can do it. I wouldn't bear down in one spot for awhile, keep moving the flapper around. Take your time.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Windy_Acres

Quote from: celliott on November 02, 2014, 09:26:07 AM

I haven't yet tried to sand it out from the get go. I used acid first to get the bulk of it, and what was left, the stubborn spots, I used the sanding method on.

Got it, will give it a try !

beenthere

QuoteI don't know how it happens...

Go back to that post and click on "Modify". You will see there that your reply was within the "quotes" and before the ending quote sign that has the backslash in it. That is why a reply gets stuck within the quote. Hope that helps.

And easy to use the "preview" button to see what takes place, and can change the post if needed.

It is a very handy feature, and one can simply type using the square brackets and the word "quote" within them to feature a phrase, and close it with the same square brackets but adding the "/quote" within those square brackets. 
Or another way, is to use the button for "Insert quote" that is available just to the left of the "°Deg" button and under "Font size" tab above.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

Quote from: beenthere on November 02, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
QuoteI don't know how it happens...

Go back to that post and click on "Modify". You will see there that your reply was within the "quotes" and before the ending quote sign that has the backslash in it. That is why a reply gets stuck within the quote. Hope that helps.

And easy to use the "preview" button to see what takes place, and can change the post if needed.

It is a very handy feature, and one can simply type using the square brackets and the word "quote" within them to feature a phrase, and close it with the same square brackets but adding the "/quote" within those square brackets. 
Or another way, is to use the button for "Insert quote" that is available just to the left of the "°Deg" button and under "Font size" tab above.

;)

Thanks!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!