iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw trade, which way to go

Started by Randy88, October 23, 2014, 05:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

I've got three saws now, a 362 stihl, 460 and also a 660, the 362 is new this past winter, the 460 must be about three years old and my old ms660 is dating back to that 10 years or older time frame.     Before we had the 460 we only ever ran two saws, and before we traded for the 362 I had a 361, and we used both of them about the same, maybe the smaller one got some more use than the 660 did.   

Now everyone grabs the 460, for some reason everyone likes it I guess, me included, its just handier, lighter and for the bulk of the jobs, has enough power to do what we do, the 362 everyone seems to like better than the old 361 for some reason, all I'm told is they are glad I traded and got the 362, so when others are happy I'm even happier I've found, basically no complaining is what I like the best.   

Well since nobody hardly uses the 660 I got to thinking, why not trade it off for one they'd use more, which is another 460 and so I got the price, not bad, also priced another 660 for 250 bucks more than the 460.   Now for some reason I just haven't done the trade yet, not sure why not, really don't have a reason other than someday I might regret trading for a smaller saw I guess is what it gets down to.   I've got a 36 inch bar for the 660 which I hardly ever use anymore, seems I'm getting older and just don't want to use it, is the main reason, anything that big I just shy away from I guess is the answer.       

Well anyhow, what is the way to go, trade off my 660 for a new one, or trade it off for another 460, I do kind of like to keep them somewhat up to date.   Not sure of the hours I put on, but we go through about a 100 feet of bulk chain a year doing what we do, have no clue if that's a lot, or not much compared to most.    Just wanting ideas I guess or suggestions, is the bigger saw worth it to trade for again.   

Spike60

What your choice boils down to is the possibility that you may need the 660 occasionally vs the fact that the 460 would see far more use. I'd say the way to go would be to get another 460, particularly since you and your guys really like to that model. IMO a 460 should be able to handle whatever you occasionally use the 660 for.

If that ocassional need for something larger than a 460 is important, then the 660 you already have, but seldom use, would make more sense than getting a new one and have it sit around.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Look at it like this .The 660 is already paid for and it isn't going to decrease in value .A new one won't run any better .It doesn't cost a dime to sit on the shelf .At worst the only thing it  might need every few years is a carb kit .

HolmenTree

Randy, I think a new MS461 would put a spark in your crews eye........... or go over to the orange side and introduce a new Husky 576XP AutoTune, either one sporting a 28" b/c.
Being in Iowa your probably cut timber like me with the biggest being an oversize cottonwood with the trunk the shape of a carrot. Nice to have the 90cc saw to lower the stump and cut the first few butt end rounds, but is it really needed for what little time used?
I only use my 395XP -32" on a Alaskan mill one day a year now,  to mill up four 16 ft 10"x14"timbers for a chainsaw speed cutting competition.
My 562XP and 372XP as backup are my 2 main saws.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Enderslbz

Get the 460.  If you have a random job where it might struggle, so be it. It'll still do it, just a little slower ;)
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Randy88

Thanks for the input and suggestions, I'm still thinking by leaning really hard towards another new 460.   Anyone been around a 560, how do those compare to a 460 for weight and power, or are they just a less powerful 660 with the same weight?      I've seen them advertised but never run one or handled one before.   

JohnG28

I assume you meant the 650? Far as I know it's been discontinued for a while now. It was basically an ~85cc version of the 660 I believe though, and as you said about the same weight.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Randy88

Typo on my part, yes that's the saw I was referring to, and the question I had.   

Andyshine77

I've ever been a huge fan of the 660. Lots of vibration and underpowered IMHO. The 460 on the other hand is a fine saw. With that said the 460 has been replaced with the 461, and it's a definite improvement over the 460, inpiticularry in the power department.
Andre.

Yatt

If you are going to through 100' of chain a year, you are cutting a fair amount.  That is 22 -20" chains off the top of my head.

I'd purchase whatever you want and keep the old one for a spare back up.  In a trade, you aren't going to get  even close to what it would cost to replace the saw
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

Thank You Sponsors!