iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I thought this was neat

Started by JB Griffin, October 22, 2014, 09:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

Sawed this today.

This was a crooked box elder I decided to slab into bench seats.
Some flame, blue stain, ambrosia beetle holes, and bullets. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

JB Griffin

I thought so. 8)

thinking about puttin em up for sale as "Deer Camp Special, Red, White, and Blue, and Bullets too, Bench slabs. :D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Magicman

Nice find.  There were two different bullets?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

Magic there is 3 different bullets split in two different slabs.

JB Griffin

You have to look close across from the name on the mill, but you can make out 3 different bullets.

Chuck White

I've always thought sawing through bullets was neat!

I usually get a few through my Spring-Fall sawing schedule!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I have hit one several times.  Yup, that will become a conversation piece.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Is that color normal? or is the stain caused by the copper clad?  neat stuff,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bruno of NH

Built some custom plank doors for my friends camp and some planks had bullets in them .
He liked it , he shows every one when they go to camp .
Thanks Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

JB Griffin

David IIRC the red stain is a fungus or bacteria that is common in Box Elder and the blue stain is common to any light colored wood around here that sits around too long.

drobertson

Got it, I believe I have heard of some folks sawing the "Flame" box elder,, just amazing the bullet is dead center of the flame.. thanks
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jmouton

looks like  a  shotgun slug,,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

JB Griffin

The bullets are approx. ½" across, so I figure a.45 or muzzleloader.

Swatson

That is neat.  I don't mind finding bullets....its other shiny stuff that Im not so fond of.  If you can count the rings you could get a range of years that the bullet may have been in there depending on how deep it went when is was fired.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

JB Griffin

Quote from: Swatson on October 24, 2014, 09:21:02 PM
That is neat.  I don't mind finding bullets....its other shiny stuff that Im not so fond of.  If you can count the rings you could get a range of years that the bullet may have been in there depending on how deep it went when is was fired.

Thats a good idea Swatson I may just have to do that iffin I can.

reswire

Any pics of the blade??? ;D ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Chuck White

Bullets don't hurt the blade, they are soft!

The most damage a bullet would normally do is to stick on the teeth and affect the cutting accuracy.

I just take my pocket knife and pick the lead off of the teeth and the band is good to go!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moosehunter

Lead bullets do not hurt the blade. I have heard that solid copper bullets may not be so friendly, has anyone hit one yet?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

JB Griffin

Yea no damage to the blade I didn't even know I hit em till I pulled the board off. 8)

Swatson

Quote from: moosehunter on October 25, 2014, 07:31:27 PM
Lead bullets do not hurt the blade. I have heard that solid copper bullets may not be so friendly, has anyone hit one yet?

I have hit a few copper jacketed bullets and they cut the same as the lead ones for me with no damage.  The copper is pretty thin on most jacketed bullets but I suppose there could be thicker ones.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Chuck White

I haven't hit a solid copper bullet yet, but most likely will one of these days because the solid copper bullets are getting to be quite popular!

I would think that they would do a little damage to a blade, but not destroy it like iron or ceramic will.  At the least I would think that the solid copper bullets would affect the set in the blade!

chipperwam

I hit a pellet from a shotgun once.  Of course I had just put in a brand new blade.  It might have been #6 shot.  Sliced it right in half.  It sure makes you mad untill you figure out what you actually hit. 

GDinMaine

I have hit a group of five lead bullets once in one cut.  I never did see it as I was pulling the boards from  the mill two at the time.  The customer told me later, that he noticed them as he stickered the lumber.  No.  :'( He would not want to give/sell me one of the two boards that had the halved lead balls.  Once I sawed through a lone lead bullet, that the customer let me keep.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Nomad

I've cut a bunch of slugs, bullets, buckshot and even birdshot.  I never got to keep any of those boards. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!