iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

top loading outdoor boiler

Started by Randy88, October 22, 2014, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

Anyone have any experience with a top loading outdoor wood boiler?    Thoughts about them in general, the efficiency of them and also the expected life span of one.   

They look like they'd save a lot of splitting and hand labor, taking a lot of the work out of burning firewood, but I don't know anyone who's used or been around one yet, they are a pretty new concept around me, some are asking the same questions I am, but are not getting many answers from what I'm told.   

thecfarm

I would like to have about an 6 foot square one at ground level!!!! I can dream,can't I??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on October 22, 2014, 09:29:11 PM
I would like to have about an 6 foot square one at ground level!!!! I can dream,can't I??  ;D

I saw one like your dreaming about Ray, a couple years ago. It was a homemade boiler built below ground level. A large door on the top opened and the guy could dump in 4 or 5 foot logs in from his FEL. Pretty ingenious design.

Randy, I saw a picture of one of those new top loaders recently, but I don't remember whose building it. It looked clever though.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Randy88

Yes that's what I was thinking more or less, maybe not that large of unit, but I'd like to load it with a skid steer, even if it was blocked up somewhat I would save a lot of work in handling, splitting and filling the boiler. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

That's it Ray!

I couldn't remember where I saw it and it was right here in the FF. I Google searched it last night till my eyes crossed, gave up and went to bed. Here it was... right here all along.  :D

That unit that BT posted up looks like a nice unit. I see a guy from MI designed one and there's another company in Canada. I would guess a couple stumps dropped in there might burn a couple days.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!