iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms391 opinions

Started by ohiowoodchuck, October 22, 2014, 09:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyshine77

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on October 28, 2014, 05:10:27 PM
The local echo dealer is 35 minutes from me, they have no service department. So if I buy a cs590 and it burns up because it's already lean from the factory, how am I suppose to get it worked on? How long am I suppose to wait on repair work? How can echo sell a USA made saw for 200 less than a 391? I doubt all American parts either. The only think made in America anymore is babies.

I'm 100% sure the Echo CS-590 has foreign parts, do mostly to the fact it's made in Japan. The 590 is a chainsaw just like the 391, if you're dealer can't work on it, time to find a new dealer.

The 590's I've owned and ran seem to have the carbs tuned pretty well from the factory. You also have a 5 year warranty, but I personally never rely on any warranty. To be completely honest, if you work with a chainsaw for any real length of time, it's best to learn how to work on them yourself. Saws aren't exactly complicated, especially a saw like the 590. The 391 is quite a bit more complicated being a strato and plastic cased saw.

I'm not trying to persuade you into buying something you're not comfortable with. I'm simply trying to inform and uninformed person, about the difference between brands, from a mechanical and marketing strategy standpoint.       
Andre.

Al_Smith

FWIW the series of saws talked about were never intended to be robust professional grade chainsaws .You will not find them on the slopes of Utah felling timber .

As firewood cutters and ocassional use saws they will probabley last the owners for decades if used as such .Service like a tree trimming crew they won't last because many of the help could destroy an anvil with a feather if given enough time .
The only so called strato charged saws I've ever operated were Stihl 201T and 441 .As compaired to non strato "old School " they are lacking .However once warmed up they do fine .I suspect these lesser grades of the Stihl line probabley do likewise .

ohiowoodchuck

Name anything out there, that isn't overpriced. It starts at groceries and goes all the way up to homes. Believe me I know what you mean about working on your own stuff, I've been poor my whole life and don't see it getting better. My thing about the warranty is, say you melt a piston and the saw is still covered, are you going to take it to the dealer and let them fix it or just go buy all the parts and do it yourself? Anyway anybody have any thoughts on echo's cs680 for a pro saw?
Education is the best defense against the media.

ohiowoodchuck

The amount of wood I'm cutting is I'm helping a friend turn some woods back into farm ground, plus cut up some larger oak that has fell over the last couple of years. I'm using all this to heat my home with a outdoor woodburner. Plus I will be following my forester's management plan on my farm, doing some thinning, cutting non valuable trees to open the canopy for oaks, clearing some ground for wildlife etc. I will be using all this junk wood for firewood. So this is what I'm using a saw for.

Andyshine77

The cs-680 is a reliable tough saw. However that's about the only redeeming qualities I can think of. It's old, underpowered, and clumsy.

For your intended use, it sure sounds like you need 60 or 70cc saw. Keep in mind I personally cut the vast majority of my firewood with 50cc or small saws.
Andre.

7sleeper

What Iread about is typical echo, great runners right in the middle of the pack.

ohiowoodchuck

Should I just pony up for the ms461 or? I'd like a good used one but I think most want to much for worn out junk. I don't want a saw with electronic controlled carb etc. I feel that's just more gov. control over something they no nothing about.

trapper

my stihl dealer also has an echo franchise and will order them for you.  Stocks stihl saws, echo trimmers,  husky saws and lawn equipment and toro mowers.  That is what sells for him in this area.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Andyshine77

There is nothing wrong with the autotune saws. Take into consideration these saws operate on a very simple feedback loop, no 02 sensor or anything like that. The only bad thing about the AT saws is they won't lean seize before you get a chance to cut your leg off.😁

Andre.

drobertson

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on October 28, 2014, 07:37:49 PM
Should I just pony up for the ms461 or? I'd like a good used one but I think most want to much for worn out junk. I don't want a saw with electronic controlled carb etc. I feel that's just more gov. control over something they no nothing about.
Now that you opened up the door to the possibility of a 461 or the like, I say saddle up!  There's no way you can go wrong. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ohiowoodchuck

I got a buddy coming friday to look at buying my 290, so if he buys it, the out of pocket expense won't be to bad. I priced it for 300.00 with three bars, 10 chains and a 12 pack of files. I think it's a fair price? I just as well go ahead and get a good saw now, instead of buying a 391 now and turning around a year later and getting a 460/461. It will save me 600.00 in the long run I guess...

7sleeper

@OWC,

Personally I think you are making a mistake going up to a 461 and having nothing smaller in your chainsaw rack! Sorry but the 461 is, for a average typ woodcutter that I understood that you are with average type wood, way to close to your big saw!  Sorry to say but this thread is going on like a wild ride on a swing!
I understand your dealer is right around the corner, etc. but being realistic and to be honest I have no idea how your built, even in my wildest fantasies for me it isn't realistic to cut down and limb a whole tree with a 461! I mean you must be one strong turd to do that!  Further to me it seems you don't have a lot of money to spare and binding a lump to a saw is a waste to me. Stay with your primary plan and get a 391 and save a few bill's for something more sensible.
Another question that I forgot yesterday, is your 290 actually muffler modded? That modification alone should wake up your 290 quite a bit! And to continue down the el cheapo road, getting a complete shortblock 390 engine from Baileys, etc. would put you in a similar power area to the 391 you are thinking about! You could sell off the running 290 engine and have hardley any expenses!
Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

ohiowoodchuck

I got a ms170 from a buddy a couple weeks ago. He was mad because he messed with it for a year and couldn't get it to oil right. I cleaned everything up on it, reseated the oil line and it oils like a dream now. I muffler modded my 290 and hate it. Loud and still didn't cut any better, a co-worker had a very experinced small engine mechanic mod his and he said he could barley tell a difference. Really the only difference that we both agreed on is it drank more gas cutting the same amount of wood as it did before. So my saw rack is a ms170 a ms290 and a Husky 3120xp.

JohnG28

If you can afford it get the 461. I can fell and buck with my 460 and I'm 180lbs. Can swap from an 18"-32" bar without a problem and not that heavy.  Will have a lot more power than the 290 too! In comparison to a 3120 it's a little guy too!  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ohiowoodchuck

I'm 6'4'' and 240lbs. I have packed my 3120 with a 36'' bar up many a hill already. I was in great shape till I spent most of the summer rebuilding and reinstalling a duramax diesel in a truck for a friend. I'm slowly getting back to where I was from cutting wood and hanging deer stands. I work a full time job, raise a family, love to hunt and cut firewood. Id rather get my wood cut as fast as saftley possible and then be back home to spend time with my two year old son. I have a small stick built cabin to build along with a pole barn, so we can move out to the farm, then I get to start building a house.

LeeB

You need a sawmill then, not a bigger chainsaw. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: LeeB on October 29, 2014, 12:51:25 PM
You need a sawmill then, not a bigger chainsaw. :D
My good buddy has one, I'm suppose to buy it when ever he gets the wood sawed out for his barn. he got a great deal on it. In the meantime I'll i have to do is go get it and start sawing. I could buy a lot of wood though for what he paid for it.

Maine logger88

I'd go with the 461 if I were looking too buy a Stihl I never really liked limbing with a small saw anyway.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 29, 2014, 06:12:49 PM
I'd go with the 461 if I were looking too buy a Stihl I never really liked limbing with a small saw anyway.
me either, I like longer bars because I'm not bending over as much. Running a short bar sure puts a kink in my back at the end of a day.

Al_Smith

Well now it just depends on how you look at things .You could join a health spa ,get all the yuppy clothing it takes to look cool and pay good money to exercise .

---or you could get a small saw,bend over and limber up while you are limbing plus have all that firewood  for your troubles and not have to pay out a dime for spa fees .You might get a sore back but at least you have something to show for it . ;D

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 29, 2014, 09:17:24 PM
Well now it just depends on how you look at things .You could join a health spa ,get all the yuppy clothing it takes to look cool and pay good money to exercise .

---or you could get a small saw,bend over and limber up while you are limbing plus have all that firewood  for your troubles and not have to pay out a dime for spa fees .You might get a sore back but at least you have something to show for it . ;D
my wife says I look like a dork with my suspenders on, but hey I like them. I don't spend all day pulling my pants up. No spa for me, I still believe in a hard days work is something to be proud of.

7sleeper

Well judging by the way the world has changed, you must be one of the last ones with such a belief!

Al_Smith

Well hard work is one thing,working smart is another .

I get rather amused at times when peple intentionaly strive to think the are in the 1800's just to prove a point .The good Lord gave me a strong body be He also gave me a good mind .Guess which one wins . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!