iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can only hope to be as tough as this old bird in 30 years!!

Started by mad murdock, October 22, 2014, 11:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WmFritz

That video made my day.

(Happy 50th by the way... my daughter is 29 today).
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Thanks for sharing another video of Ralph. Very interesting assembly of parts for his sawmill enterprise.
Some reminds me of Lyle Nemi, and many others here on the forum.

The video is similar to the one in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78591.msg1192931.html#msg1192931

with a link to Ralph
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4109955.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

your welcome guys!  and thanks for the bday wishes.  Right after I posted the link to this vid, I saw that someone had posted the link to the abc.au one yesterday.  Old Ralph is quite a guy.  and to think that he never completed any formal edumication to boot!!  You can never judge a book by its cover.  This guys inginuity does remind me a lot of Lyle's undertakings! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

backwoods sawyer

I got a phone call that made my night.
"pop eye" is in his 8th decade and runs a Lucus mill. I have had him out on a hand full of milling jobs to bust down an over sized log when the customer wants a table top or the logs are in a position that it just makes sense, I had another customer to send his way.
He is kind of a cross between MM and Poston.

He had had a customer stiff him on a milling job over the summer, boy that had his steam pressure right up there ready to blow the end of day whistle. Just last week a stiffer we had milled for together two years ago had stopped by to let me know he was still a stiffer. Well just a half stiffer as Pop eye did get paid on that one.
Then there was all the summers' wrench turning, followed by our best logs.

Then the conversation turn serious as it turned from "Sawdust" to "Cats" as when I first met pop eye was back in my schooling days and we spend many nights out Cat hunting, back then it was long tail cats and bear that we were after but would not pass up a chance to chase a short tail.
He has a pair of walkers that are ready to run a few short tails and now that the rains have started it is time to show Little Jo a "Tree" in the light of a flashlight.   

Sure is good to see the nursing homes have not captured all the ones we should be spending our time with.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jrose1970

I had to weight in too. LOL
That feller is a genius on top of being tough. Incredible.
Also agreed with backwoods sawyer about spending our time with them.
My grandfather was born in 1899, and I was born in 1970. We had 17 happy years under a pecan tree.
He was a cotton farmer in the summer, timber and pulpwood hauler in the winter, christian and Papaw. 
I think he had 8 years of school.
Great thread!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Thank You Sponsors!