iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pears

Started by Magicman, October 22, 2014, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My Mom planted a Pear tree in ~1937. 

It has gotten rugged looking and has survived much, but it does still produce a few pears each year.

I picked about 5 gallons this past Saturday and Pat made some Pear Preserves.

The first batch cooking.

I need a hot buttered biscuit.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I have been eating a lot of pears this summer, Karen doesn't care for them. They also make a very nice brandy ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Raw Pears will also cause gas.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hardtailjohn

Nothing tastes better than "right off the tree"!!! 
JH
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

They are so juicy that the juice runs down your arms and drips off of your elbows.   :D

21incher

Those Pear Preserves look great and now you can enjoy the flavor year round. I love pears when they are in season around me. The Seckel Pears are my favorite.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

luvmexfood

Magicman. My mom made some pearbutter years ago. Like applebutter but with pears and it had just a few pineapple chunks in it. Some of the best eating on a hot bisquit. Yum.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

Hey, that is an idea about the pineapple chunks.   :)

BradMarks

Opened and finished the last jar of pear butter this past weekend. Hot biscuits and pear butter. Need a bigger jar ;D

Magicman

Pat made biscuits tonight.  A couple of fried eggs, bacon, and buttered biscuits smothered with fresh Pear preserves.  MMmmmm.   food3

Al_Smith

I don't know exactly what kind it is ,either bosc or bartlett you used to find in fence rows and pasture fields .Hard as a rock until about late September or the first frost .

Turns yellow with a mottled skin .High sugar content doesn't keep long maybe 6-8 weeks in the "fresh" state .One of the most tastey pears I ever ate in the fresh ripe state . Which is only way I care for pears ,canned don't like .

Magicman

She finished up on the preserve making today, so I had hot biscuits and pears again tonight.   food6

sandhills

Quote from: Magicman on October 22, 2014, 01:41:42 PM
They are so juicy that the juice runs down your arms and drips off of your elbows.   :D
And the problem is????  :D  I think I'd sweet talk her into another 5 gallons with another road trip if I was you  ;)

thurlow

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 23, 2014, 08:48:07 PM
I don't know exactly what kind it is ,either bosc or bartlett you used to find in fence rows and pasture fields .Hard as a rock until about late September or the first frost .
Around here, those would be Kieffers;  very gritty and grainy and better for preserves than eating fresh.  Kept 5 trees when we pushed up the orchard.  Just finished peeling 2 x 5 gallon buckets of 'em;  probably slice 'em tomorrow night and make preserves Saturday.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I knew a guy one time that sent his buddy a jar of homemade Pear preserves. Just saying.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

We plan to go to the Cabin tomorrow & Saturday and will try to pick some more.  That old tree is really only a snag, but it keeps on trying.  I wish that I had paid more attention when Mom told me what variety it was.  (Actually, Mom and Dad both told me lots of stuff and I was not paying enough attention.)   :-\

It is a regular stop for the deer each evening.

Buck

Backstrap would probably fit on the plate with the biscuit and preserves. Just a thought.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

BradMarks

Backstrap - that's what I was thinking!  Some of the tastiest venison I ever had, the deer had access to apple trees. As they say (morphed) "they don't fall far from the tree" ;D fudd-smiley

SPIKER

My pears are doing OK this year, two biggest have a couple bushel full on them and the small one had a few.   They are Bartlet my two biggest trees, (Pear SHOULD) have a different species of pears to cross pollinate for best fruiting.   My smaller trees (planted 5+ years apart) are of two different varieties one Bostic & forget the other one.    BOTH of the two smaller trees are ones that are supposed to cross with the Bartlet's the best.

I would love to have time to can some myself but been simply eating one on way by that is on ground & ripping up this time of year... 8) 8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Pat and I finished picking the Pear tree today.  Maybe 3-4 more gallons.   ;D

Magicman

The last of the Pears got cooked down today and are now preserves.   food6

thurlow

Finished our preserves last Saturday;  21 pints.  Swmbo'd will probably give several away for Christmas presents.  She makes little gift baskets with the preserves, muscadine and blueberry jelly. 

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all could auction off some of dem dare Pear preserves and not hog'm all to yourselves.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!