iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the Forum

Started by eichenberg93, October 21, 2014, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eichenberg93

Well hello
Im a new Member and thought i would say hello and post some Pictures. I have been reading the
forum for a couple years now and have got some good information.

Alittle bit about myself.

Me and my brother have been logging full time since we got out of high school. We started cutting Pine with
our grandpa's c6 Treefarmer and now are producing hardwood logs for a local Sawmill. Started renting a 520 Timberjack a couple months ago due to engine problems with the motor in the treefarmer. The timberjack is working
out good and we might be purchasing it soon..  8)

A couple job Pics.

Maine logger88

Welcome too the forum! Nice looking wood! What's the Jack have for an engine?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

eichenberg93

It has a 5.9 cummins in it the original owner took the 6V-53 out and put the cummins
makes it very nice ;D

lopet

Welcome to the club.      Nice pile of  wood
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mad murdock

Welcome aboard!! That is a real nice whack of hardwood you have stacked up in that landing. Make for a decent payday, that's for sure!! Does the c6 have a Deutz in it? Hard to beat them tree farmers. Might be worth resurrecting. That Jack looks like a mighty fine specimen as well!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

timberlinetree

Welcome! Nice pile of wood!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Firewoodjoe

Welcome. Nice to see some other younger guys from my area logging. I'm no far from you. I work for a large producer now and sell firewood the rest of the time. I had a deere 440 a few years back but it was a real struggle to get wood. Firewood is not a big profit deal and I was curious to how it's been since u started logging? Opritunitys that have come up? Do the mills and land owners hold you against your age? I'm 27 now. I was thinking of the next big step and either buying a loader truck or skidder after selling my firewood processor and loader. But I have a family, house and responsibities that makes it scary to quit a steady pay check.

thecfarm

eichenberg93,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

eichenberg93

Thanks i think its a nice pile til they come and take a load off. :o then all that is left is some seed for next week...

mad murdock- The treefarmer is in running condition now. All we had happen was a dropped valve. luckly enough
there was a burr on top of the valve stem and all it did was shine up the pistion. It has a 4-53 detroit in it and now
its for back-up.

Firewoodjoe- Bussiness has been getting better in the last year. The first year was tough though. we started out cutting local pine stands and had some success but it was hit or miss. we then went searching and found a sawmill to cut for.
It has worked out very well. You just have to make the decision weither you want to move a small amount of wood
and make some money. or move alot more wood just to make the same money. But in our case there is alot more consistency cutting for a mill then on our own. Theres wood ahead of us. We have not came across anybody that has
judged us by our age but theres been a few leery! :D 

Firewoodjoe

I'm assuming they pay you per thousand to cut their stumpage?

eichenberg93

Yup we cut there timber by the thousand or by the cord. All depending on if it is logs for the mill or
bolt wood. Its worked out good so far

lopet

A little off topic, but I have just noticed member mad murdock has turned fifty today 8)

Happy  b day  and don't over do it. smiley_sick
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

David-L

Welcome to the forum . Nice looking timber.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

eichenberg93

Quote from: David-L on October 23, 2014, 06:15:30 AM
Welcome to the forum . Nice looking timber.

David l

Thanks this job has a lot of nice timber but also has a lot of bolt wood

Have to move off for the month of (Deer season) I see more deer in the seat of a skidder than i do from
my deer blind. :D

thecfarm

I don't have a skidder,but I see more deer on my tractor than when I'm walking in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Its good to see some younger guys making a go of it, there arent to many around here, im 30 and I stick out like a sore thumb at the training classes.
A few of the bid sheets coming out explicitly state "no hunting" while logging the jobs. Choker chains and cable are great for retrieving those big deer.  ;)

eichenberg93

you could certainly retrieve a very large deer with a cable skidder :D there are a few younger guys around but with the cost of equipment it's not necessarily the easiest business to get into and collect a paycheck at the end of the week.   

chester_tree _farmah

Nice looking C6!

Yeah cutting in late fall, winter and early spring is like ringing the old dinner bell to deer. They love chomping on the hardwood tips. Clean them right out.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!