iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any real experience with aftermarket Stihl crankcases?

Started by nell6355, October 21, 2014, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nell6355

I have worn out my Stihl 034 Super.  Clutch side bearing loose in the bore, sucking air.  Everything else is perfect.   Parts are available used, but they're likely worn just like mine.   There is a new Stihl 034 crankcase (aftermarket) on Ebay - one company in Hong Kong, and one in Germany.   Does anyone here have FIRSTHAND knowledge whether aftermarket crankcase parts are worth anything?     I wouldn't mind using a used part, but most sellers can't tell a good part from a bad one. (or they won't)   This is one sure nice little saw, and I'd like to rebuild it.   

sablatnic

Guess I would take a look at Chainsawr's site if it was me, but I am too old to try new things.

Al_Smith

Don't give up the ship just yet .Old trick from a junk yard dawg .

If the bearing pocket isn't wallered out too bad take a prick punch and dimple the metal in the pocket .Punch marks every where ,lots of them .You are in essence knurling or raising the metal .

After that Loctite makes a compound called  slip fit which is used for sloppy shafts and will fill in the voids .Heat up the bearing pocket apply the slip fit and press in the bearing .Let it set up overnight then reinstall the crankshaft in the usual method .Worked for me on a Stihl 048 with a spun main bearing

Thank You Sponsors!