iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For all the youngsters...

Started by GDinMaine, October 21, 2014, 09:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I thought this is well worth watching.  I - for one - would love to be able to do such things at that age. ...well... I suppose if I live that long...
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4109955.htm
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

mikeb1079

Quotetook off me shoe and i took off me sock and me toe fell out!!

:D :D  tough old nut   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

delvis

You know what I was thinking of GD?  I was thinking in our neck of the woods a whole lot of people make things like this all the time. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

rooster 58

Incredible story, and an amazing human being ;)

FarmingSawyer

What a great story. Reminds me a bit of the Sawyer who trained me...a bit of a Rube Goldberg. I love the use of the caterpillar tracks as a live feed rolls to get logs into the mill.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

Quite the story,quite the life,quite the man.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shortlogger

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

Quote from: delvis on October 22, 2014, 12:46:34 AM
You know what I was thinking of GD?  I was thinking in our neck of the woods a whole lot of people make things like this all the time.

I agree, but this man took ingenuity to a whole new level.  I am amazed by what he is doing.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

samandothers

wow what a smart guy.  So much experience.

5quarter

When I grow up, I wanna be him. great post.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JB Griffin

I am totally In awe. :o
That old man does more in a week than most of the retired guy around do in a year combined.
Definatly someone to look up to. :P
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

hacknchop

What a great example of work ethic and love of sawmilling and all the hard work that goes with it.I dont know if its the same for everyone but ive noticed that  I can can cut n skid or build something, run my planner but nothing beats sawmilling!
Often wrong never indoubt

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

papow22

:D Dam looking at him and the things he did and done,Reminded me of my late Dad, (POP'S).My dad was the same way,his older brother said at the last family reunion " that younger brother would take pile of metal and turn it into gold."He would take old machinery then make run like new again.He rebuild the motor on B-75 Mack truck,he also fixed 42 road grader (gas job),Sure they didn't have FANCY paint jobs.Also he made log turner for his sawmill that he had to rebuild from the ground up.With grade 6 education,also he added a breast roller to the mill.Also a hydraulic log stopper and roller.But as for welding he self taught himself and still today the welds that he made still holds.So I trying compete with the man that could do things that I'm still learning how. :P.I know if CANCER didn't take him in 2007 he would be here for till at least 90 yrs.So when you see someone that does things like that stand with and watch and learn for they will teaches long as any person is willing to learn.I did learn alot but the best was the hunting on the white side,Along with the native side that my grandfather taught me.I fern nothing in the woods,just when I go to town or city that where I'm uneasy...... :'( I miss them both.2 giant of a men the oft me to stand alone.But life gones as the as the song said,the road never ends. smiley_beertoast .
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!