iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

getting out of logging and going full time into firewood sales!

Started by logman81, October 21, 2014, 07:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

So after much thought I'm getting out of logging and going to do firewood full time. Just to many head aches with trying to find logging jobs and finding truckers to haul my skidder and other reasons. So skidder is up for sale to buy a processor. The market is real good where I am for it more money for me in firewood sales then in logging. It was a tough decision but it is the right one.
Precision Firewood & Logging

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

brendonv

On the other hand what about a small skidder?  Something you can tow with a small truck. A guy called me today looking to trade his garrett 10 for something bigger. You can haul the garrett with a one ton.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Ken

The firewood market is very strong here as well.  Many of the firewood processors are having an extremely hard time sourcing wood as they do not have control of the harvesting. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

So you are going to just buy log length delivered to your yard? I think they're getting about $800 a triaxle around here these days.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Firewoodjoe

I wish u luck but im in the firewood business and it's hard to make it buying your wood already produced by somone else.

NWP

I've done it the way you're going to try for a long time. Your at the mercy of the logger. The firewood guy is the lowest on the log food chain. You're the last to get loads. Veneer, sawlog, and pallet all come first. I would seriously consider keeping logging to have a good supply of firewood logs and cash flow from sawlogs. That's what I'm starting to do now just to try and secure a more steady and economical source of firewood logs.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thewoodman

Keep your skidder and loader.  Look for  trees that are a pain in the ass for  the local farmers and log those.

Some times you just need to think out side the squire.
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

red oaks lumber

around here the pulp mills and pellet mills are paying $125 cord, pretty hard to compete for wood at that price. a couple big firewood guys have no wood ;) i'm not sure i would shut the door on logging just yet. maybe re adjust your whole operation with more emphasis on firewood. good luck .. tough desicion
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

Here, firewood guys have a hard time to get wood. And if you get it you pay through the nose for it. Hardwood pulp is up big time. :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

s grinder

logman81,Why not start a small tree service company like brendonv has?My friend has one and does very well,works with his nephew,gets payed to haul away the wood, plus sells firewood

logman81

Thank guys for the input. I have my ming pretty much made up about it. There is not enough logging jobs for me to continue working in the woods. I can't afford the cost any more involved with logging plus after having a close call with a large spring pole the wife says she doesn't want to be a widow! I have enough customers to make it work and I'm currently lining up several tree length suppliers.  I also plan to get back into the bundle wood business for several local retail stores. I can always get a small skidder later on and cut firewood lots.

Joe Hillmann

Keep in mind firewood may have boom and bust cycles and around here at least it is booming but that could change next year.

Around here last winter was extra harsh and long.  People were running out of firewood in February that normally would have lasted all winter.  That caused prices to rise and many people to start selling wood.  Now people are stalking up for another harsh winter which has kept prices up.  If this coming winter is normal there is a good chance that firewood prices will drop for next year since people will have a lot left over from this winter and sellers may figure it is better sell the wood they have at little to no profit to get some cash flow rather than keep there price high and not sell any.

beenthere

That is a good point Joe.

I'm just reading about the big boom (and huge investments) in LNG (liquid natural gas) that is happening in the shipping industry (huge transporting ships and huge LNG ports) around the world, that may be nixed because oil prices are dropping so fast now that they cannot compete or continue to risk investing big bucks.

That cheaper oil price will also affect the fuelwood market, I'd think.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Natural gas is cheap enough that I'd burn it if it was available to me and I'm in the firewood business. 
  Be careful about putting all your eggs in one basket.  Being diverse is good.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

David-L

I would stay diversified, A lot of firewood lots I get have a small saw log in the butt and 2nd log of some trees. Added value. firewood will always have it's up's and downs for sure but I do understand the part about getting lots can be tough sometimes. I would look at a smaller skidder and get the lots that are undesirable to the big operators. TSI work can be slow and tedious but you usually end up with plenty of firewood. There are alot of guys right now who cant' even get round wood loads, and are scratching there heads. Good luck and hope it works for you.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

Well I've been doing some thinking and think i might get a good wood splitter and conveyor instead of a processor.  I think that would be better as i wouldnwouldn't have to be as fussy with the type of wood and would be more portable should need to move it. Might think about a small skidder that i could move my self behind my one ton. Will see what happens it the next few days as i may have a buyer for the skidder.

Thewoodman

Has any one got a pic of these small skidders? are we talking Clark 664's?
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

David-L

Yes, 440's, 230's, 664's those smaller machines with a 8 foot width or so. Oh I forgot C-4's ,132 franklins, 405's and the list go's on. These machines are small an economical to run most of the time.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

yeah im thinking just down size and get a small enough skidder that can be towed with my pick up and get a nice wood splitter/conveyor combo. I dont mind doing tsi work i kind of like doing it and it does produced some nice firewood. i Do know of a mini skidder that a guy might be willing to sell, its a gafner skidder about the size of a garret 10.

timberlinetree

In our operation firewood is the most involved and makes the least. But has helped pay the bills.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

glassman_48

logman81,
My processor has a 14' attached conveyor, most of the work I do with my processor is mobile processing I cannot get a good enough price on pulpwood to make enough profit that way.  We also do some firewood bundles (ask corley5 says bundles suck :))  We would have to get up to $125.00 a face cord to make it worth while at firewood and our area will not support those prices.  I am 61 years old so my days of going out into the woods are over too.  good luck,,,,,,,Ed

Nate379

SINNER!  :D

I have natural gas at the house, don't use it for heat aide from backup since it costs too much.  I can heat with wood for many years to equal the costs of 1 winter of heating with gas.

Quote from: Corley5 on October 22, 2014, 05:45:27 PM
  Natural gas is cheap enough that I'd burn it if it was available to me and I'm in the firewood business. 

Thank You Sponsors!