iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder post beetles

Started by Jerry, October 21, 2014, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

I cut some pine logs that was down for about 8 months bark pealed off in the woods got home with them and noticed next day that they have powder post beetles in them. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to get rid of them. Do I need to try to do it before I saw them or after. I do not have a kiln. thanks for any help.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

FarmingSawyer

I'd think sawing them up might get rid of the critters in the slab, depending on how far they've gone in...... Not sure about the treatment for PPB in pine. Around here pine down for 8months would be full of pine borer grubs chomping away so loud you can hear em munching holes through the wood.....

I'm generally a critter lover and make it a point to not harm spiders, hornets, wasps and yellow jackets--they help kill flies--but these DanG grubs.....I just love sawin them through.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

WDH

I suspect that it is not the powderpost beetles that we all dread because they only infest dry wood, not wet wood, and they only infest hardwood, not pine.  Even though the pine was down 8 months, it is still somewhat green (wet), and likely what you have is ambrosia beetles.  They will not tolerate drying wood, and they will leave the boards in just a few days.  I think that you are OK to saw the logs and proceed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jerry

Thank you WDH I just assumed they were powder post beetles because of the little piles of very fine sawdust that they were leaving. It is so very nice to be able to come to this site and get some advice when you need it. Some of the best people I have had the pleasure to communicate with. Thank you all. 
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

scully

The little log cabin in my avitar pic was made from soft maple . I have had a major problem with powder post beatles ! I have bought the stuff to mix and spray I have used every thing imaginable and all it does is make them mad . I am at the point were I may just paint the logs in an attempt to seal them ......
I bleed orange  .

caveman

Here are a few pictures of ambrosia beetle holes in pine and some of beetles and larva in some live oak.  The beetles will create small black holes in the logs.  The piles of boring dust seen on the live oak are an indication of what is going on under the bark.  Often standing pines that have ambrosia beetles will have piles of boring dust at the base of the tree.  If you look at the beetles under magnification or if you have really good eyes, you will see "horns" on the rear of these beetles.
Caveman l

ogs.  Caveman
Caveman

AnthonyW

I have been dealing with a lot of eastern white pine of late. I believe the beetles in question are eastern pine borers. The beetles/larva in question are larger than the ambrosia beetle and the sawdust is larger than that of either the PPB and ambrosia beetles.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: AnthonyW on October 21, 2014, 09:31:51 PM
I have been dealing with a lot of eastern white pine of late. I believe the beetles in question are eastern pine borers. The beetles/larva in question are larger than the ambrosia beetle and the sawdust is larger than that of either the PPB and ambrosia beetles.

The picture I posted above is of the pine borers....I've also seen them munching oak. The piles of sawdust the leave outside their holes is called "frass". I've seen something like the ambrosia beetles in maple, ash and elm if it's been down a short length of time. I just sold some maple cutting boards with beetle holes.....not everyone's taste and some worry about contamination, etc....but for those that appreciate the natural, rustic look they are very attractive.

Out west we used to saw old salvaged marine pilings. Scraping the barnacles and mussels off of them was repulsive but they made interesting wood. These were untreated and sawed up nice.....only thing is they were full of holes made by the torredo worm. The holes were cased in calcium deposits. Finished up as paneling it sold quite well and was always a conversation starter.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

WDH

The black lining of the hole is caused by a fungus that the ambrosia beetle brings in on its body.  The tunnels are open.  Powderpost beetles do not have an associated fungus, the holes are not black lined, and the tunnels are not open, they are filled with frass.

The little piles of sawdust that we all dread look the same for both beetles, though.

Nice pics, Caveman.  Good luck in Louisville. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thank you WDH.  I recently broke down and got a smarter phone so hopefully I can get some decent pictures of some of the cool stuff I occasionally run across.  JMoore took most of the ones I posted.
Caveman
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This will knock 'em out! Fed-Ex left it on the porch today.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

All those grubs look like good fish bait to me. I'd bet the bluegills in the lake/river where I fish would look like piranhas churning the water after them. Anyone ever use them?

I have some dry poplar I built a barn out of about 10 years ago and I'm seeing fine dust from them. We used to have them in the military B-huts (plywood and cheap framing lumber) real bad in Afghanistan too. Good luck getting rid of them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!