iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band mill drive question.

Started by hammerfore, October 21, 2014, 08:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerfore

Thanks again for all the help with my csm chain problem. Im thinking I need a bandmill now. This wood milling " sickness "  just keeps gettin worse at least thats what my wife thinks!. I am very early in the design portion of my build. Has any one ever used a centrifugal clutch with a chain drive on their band mill? Any reason this would be a bad idea or belt drive would be better.

kelLOGg

I assume you are asking about driving the band rather than the sawhead. There is so much sawdust around the head while sawing that a chain may accumulate too much sawdust. Most bandmills I know of use belt drive for the band.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

delvis

The only thing I have seen used besides a belt drive was a hydraulic motor drive which Log Master used.  I am sure it worked pretty well as it was hooked directly to the drive wheel, but I would think a person would need to know how much engine they needed to run a certain size pump to be able to handle a motor that would cut constantly like that.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

bandmiller2

Hammer, at the speed you need to turn the bandwheels I think you would be better served with  belts they also will allow slippage if theirs a problem. Centrifugal clutches are fine but their costly in the sizes needed for a bandmill. Slack belts with a tensioner or a rocking engine base work and will not cost you extra. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Centrifugal clutches? Costly? I have one on my Thomas, another reason I brought it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!