iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Better Use For Firewood

Started by Sawyer4fun, October 20, 2014, 09:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyer4fun

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I am still learning on my mill but I really like finding new and interesting wood and sawing techniques.  Here are a few pictures of some boards from a curved / bent Maple that I was about to cut into firewood and then thought ... I bet that would make some cool live edge slabs  :)

I made a jig to hold the curved log upright against the dogs by attaching a board across the 2 bottom ends and then clamping it in place (like an arch).  It created some really interesting boards with a live edge around the full circumference.

Now that I have added curved trees to my wish list too I am having a hard time finding trees for firewood :)

Full live edge board.

Used one to make my wife a live edge bread board for the thanksgiving table ... lots of points for that one :)

Finally, the new bread board on our harvest table made from 100 year old silo boards.  Nothing like 100 years of weather to create great character!

Woodland Mills HM126, grew up visiting my Grandfather's mill and always loved the smell of sawdust :)

Magicman

Nice ingenuity and craftsmanship.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OUT  IF  THIS  WORLD  ! Beautiful.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

RM Farm

Awesome!!! I too like new ideas.
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

Tree Dan

Great save on the almost to be firewood...glad to see your having fun
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

drobertson

Lot's better than fire wood! 8)   It can be a hard call at the moment of truth..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sawyer4fun

Thanks!  One of the great things about this forum is the steady stream of new ideas!
Woodland Mills HM126, grew up visiting my Grandfather's mill and always loved the smell of sawdust :)

gfadvm

Very nice! I'm always looking to saw something unusual. I cut down some dead mimosa trees on my pond dam and sawed them. Beautiful grain pattern! The first guy that saw them bought the whole stack. Who would have thought mimosa?

LeeB

I have a bread board like that cut from pecan. Have had it for about 15 years. Those full round live adge boards also are geat for rustic sign boards and engraved wall hangings.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sawyer4fun

Thanks gfadvm!  I am not familiar with mimosa but from what I saw on line it looks like it could be interesting.

Sawyer4fun

Thanks LeeB!  Never thought of the rustic signs, great idea!

rasman57

Well done!  That piece on the silo wood table is great.   Nothing better than when you enjoy what you create!

beenthere

QuoteFinally, the new bread board on our harvest table made from 100 year old silo boards.  Nothing like 100 years of weather to create great character!

What more can you tell us about the silo boards ??  Know any history of the silo? Where it was, what it was used for, and what size and species were the boards?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawyer4fun

Hi beenthere,

I don't have the history of the silo other than it was described as part of the original farm.  My cousin bought the farm in the late 90's and the farmhouse was built at the turn of the century so we figured the silo was approx the same age.  The wood looks to be hemlock and was 2 X 6 and the lengths varied from 6 to 10 feet.

The silo was already down when I salvaged the boards but it was likely a corn silo given the area the farm is.

It took quite a bit of digging to get enough good boards for the table but I knew it would be worth it.  I also made 2 extensions that some slide into the ends so we can fit about 14 people. 

It was an adventure but the results were good :)

Thank You Sponsors!