iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordering a cow and pig

Started by Compensation, October 20, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I flipped the wrong breaker at home and lost all my food in my 25cuft deep freeze. So now I am going to refill it. I called for a price on a whole cow ($2000) and pig ($375). I didn't really want black Angus but that's all they have, I was wanting a Charolais. Anyways, are these good prices for the market now these days? I want to get a fair deal but never done this before. My parents want to go in half so I might end up trying to buy a lamb too. What kind of space would I need for half cow and half pig? I think this might be a tough one to answer because I see the numbers are all over the place
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

red oaks lumber

live prices? beef is alittle cheap, hog is quite high. alot depends on the weight, fat cattle are trading around $ 1.50 -$1.60 / lb butcher hogs are trading around $.80 -$.85 /lb for 240 -270 lb hog
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Compensation

That's out the door price. Animal+butch prices. Cow should be 1100-1200# hog I have no idea. Just talked to mom and she just bought half a cow without me.  So I guess I will get a whole one now.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Magicman

Why don't you buy the other half of her cow??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Compensation

Quote from: Magicman on October 20, 2014, 08:42:15 PM
Why don't you buy the other half of her cow??

Because she bought that in Madison, IN and that was the last of what they had for this year. She got the vary last of it unfortunately.  Where I called is in oden, IN and they still have moo-moos. Ya know, I should ask for the price of a goat also when I am there ;D

Magicman

Of course I was joking, but even pies have a last slice.  food6

You are kidding (pun intended) about eating Poston's baby brother right??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 20, 2014, 10:25:40 PM
Of course I was joking, but even pies have a last slice.  food6

You are kidding (pun intended) about eating Poston's baby brother right??

You're a Baaaaaaaaad Man!  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Compensation on October 20, 2014, 07:20:45 PM
I didn't really want black Angus but that's all they have, I was wanting a Charolais.

We never preferred the Angus meat either. My Dad and Uncle used to raise Charolais. Are best beef came from crossing them with Brahmas. Very tender meat.

Compensation

Sometimes that slice is half a pie and a belly ache. :D

Poston, what one do you use as the bull? I was planning on getting 4 calf's next year. Was going to get 2 Charolais and 2 black Angus. Sell the Angus's and pay for my Charolais. I would have the vet come out and inseminate them so I could keep a turn going. I don't think you could ever run out of customers wanting Angus, I really don't know why.

LeeB

Research a little bit on what AI will cost you. Wasn't worth it to me. Cheaper to feed a bull.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Compensation

Quote from: LeeB on October 21, 2014, 02:48:32 AM
Research a little bit on what AI will cost you. Wasn't worth it to me. Cheaper to feed a bull.

I will have to ask the vet next time I see him. If its raised much in 12 years I might look into renting a bull. I don't have alot of land to loose where I am at unfortunately. Plus my neighbors would get tired of seeing a fat guy riding a tame bull around his back yard claiming to be a professional bull rider. Maybe one day I will seek counseling.  :D

red oaks lumber

black angus,raised right will melt in your mouth. :) we have cool season grasses along with a more moderate climate which will add to the quality of the meat both in flavor as well as texture.
there is a fine resturant in our area which happens to buy beef and pork from me that has on the menu, if your steak or porkchop is less than fantastic the meal is on the house. thats been on there for over 2 yrs and they have yet had to buy someone's meal.
i don't think our cool climate can help  a goat ;D just sayin :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

If you were to buy the beef, "on the hoof" and condition it by keeping it confined in a small area and give it a couple hundred pounds of cornmeal over the course of 4-6 weeks, it will produce some very nice beef!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quoteand give it a couple hundred pounds of cornmeal over the course of 4-6 weeks
Feeding Northern cows Grits??  :D 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Compensation on October 21, 2014, 12:48:26 AM
Sometimes that slice is half a pie and a belly ache. :D

Poston, what one do you use as the bull?

We used a Charolais Bull.

sandhills

Not going to turn this into a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing but we raise primarily Angus cattle with a little herferd crossed in from way back (or when the neighbor's bull pays a visit).  We butcher what we raise and I like it, but I personally love going to the neighbors for dinner, corn fed longhorn, just melts in your mouth.  Of coarse 99.9% of this is probably the cooking (just like your grandma used to do it), I've milked for different people that just can't believe anyone would eat anything but corn fed Holstein, have yet to get a good taste from one of those but to each their own, never have cooked a steak with the hide still on it.  ;)  I will stand behind a good dirt raised pig though, pork from those raised in confinements always seem really slimy? to me, I guess that's the word I'm looking for.

Gary_C

And the way they raise chickens these days, if it wasn't for salmonella, chicken would not have any flavor at all.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on October 21, 2014, 08:21:28 AM
Quoteand give it a couple hundred pounds of cornmeal over the course of 4-6 weeks
Feeding Northern cows Grits??  :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D good one MM never thought of it that way

Raider Bill

Wild Bill and I had a 1300 lb on the hoof steer packaged up. We got 804 lbs of meat. It filled 23 CU Ft of freezer.
Have a 300-350lb hog we are doing next month. Figuring/hoping we'll get 250 lb from it, maybe a bit less.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Compensation

Those are some big returns on meat Bill. Thanks for the size to cubic foot comparison. Makes me fell better going into this.

As for the breed of cow, no one wants to put effort in meat quality. Its too simple for people to just pull it off the pasture and sell it. I had a amazing black Angus steak once. It was just a simple new York strip I got from the store. But for the most part they just seem bland more often than not. I guess its like a kobi cow (don't know the spelling). Those cows get daily rub downs to keep them tender and make amazing meat. According to a guy that bought one, you can take that same breed of cow and raise it in a field only to get a disappointment in the end.

Compensation

I was talking to my other half about selling our house and buying more land for all the animals I want to raise. It makes me nervous to take on a big risk like that but I should be fine. I was wanting 40 acres and to build this 60'x140'x16' pole barn on it. Once all the inspections are done, build a 3000sqft house in the end of it so we could live there until we build our dream house. It would be nice to have a little more freedom when raising animals with that much land.

Magicman

We have butchered a few in the past that for whatever reason, were not so tender.  That makes for a lot of chewing before it is gone.

Raider Bill

We've never done a hog before so my weights are guesses at best. Will know for sure next month.
We filled a 15 cu ft freezer to bring back with us and left a 7 cu ft full there plus gave some to neighbors.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Compensation

Thanks for the info and pictures. I placed my order on the cow and got a mixture of options. But she never mentioned anything about filet mignon. Should I be worried or what other steaks are near by that cut? The pig wasn't so bad, I just said bacon, ribs, chops, hams, loins, and sausage.

BradMarks

I'm no butcher, nor do I have a "steak chart".  Always called the filet the two strips inside the body cavity along the rib cage. Am I wrong?

Thank You Sponsors!