iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workshop today

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 19, 2014, 11:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Today I had a great workshop here at the sawmill yard.

Only one student showed up and he was/is a forestry forum member.

He cut two ends on one floor joists to finish off the last piece of the floor system for the shed we're working on.

Next we set up 8 saw horses and put the entire floor system up on them.
We test fit each cross sill to each long sill and test fit one end of the tying joist to the long sill on one side.

After we test fit each tenon into each of these mortises we put the entire floor system together to check to make sure everything would go together correctly for the customer.

Here is a shot of the entire floor system from above:

Here is a shot of myself cutting off a long sill with my 16" skil saw.

After everything was together we labeled the timbers with a traditional marking system.
Of which there are many.

The one I normally use is to chop or chip into the timber a number with a chisel. On one side of the frame all timbers are labeled with a 2" chisel on the other side of the frame all timbers are labeled with a 1 1/2" chisel. So you have two marking; one large and one small. This labels are cut into the reference side of the timber so it would be seen while you are putting it together but not necessarily after it is all assembled.

Here is one corner marked for bent #1:

And here is the opposite side:

The above "long sill" still has to be cut to it's final overall length.

Here is an "action shot" of Matt chopping in the marking on the other end of the sill:

And here it is all done:

Here he is labeling the cross sill and the long sill for the end which is where bent #3 will stand.

If we used a magic marker/sharpie pen, pencil, crayon or chalk then there is a risk that these may not be there when the customer gets the frame. The sun and fade these things off. But when you actually chip out a small chip of wood then this mark is there forever. And it's fairly easy to see, even when the timbers are older and gray.

As this frame is going to be taken apart and shipped out by truck to a distant state, I wanted it to be easy for the customer to put it all back together again. We had custom fit each floor joist into each drop in floor joist pocket in the sills. And I wanted to make sure he'd be able to put them back into the exact position where we fit them.

So, I used a different marking system than I would usually use. But it is a traditional system as well, just not one I've used before.

Here we marked a number on the end of the floor joists and right across onto the long sill. These marking are called marriage marks. And we only did them on one end of the floor joists so that there is not way they could be swapped around and hopefully not put in the wrong place.

Here is some examples of the marriage marks:

And joist number two:

All the way up the frame to number seven:

A copy of each of these photos along with a written description of the assembly process will go along to the customer.

I hope this story has helped you to understand a method of marking your timbers so that you can understand where they go in the frame after you take it apart and need to put it back together again.

To cut the marriage marks I used a "timber scribe" knife that I bought for myself. It has a "U" shaped end on it so as you drag it along the timber it cuts out a small "U" in the wood.
In the picture above of the second floor joist label you can see the curled chip of wood cut out of the timbers on the sill.
I don't have a picture of my timber scribe in my gallery yet, but I'll take one and post it later on.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Jim,

Is the timber scribe an off-the-shelf item from somewhere or is it a specialty item you had a blacksmith/knife-smith (or whatever they are called...) make for you?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

Antique tool can be purchase off ebay. Sometimes for as little at $30 some time a lot more, it depends on the amount of blade left.
There are several on ebay now.

Some with brass handles some with wooden handles.
I got a nice brass handled one for myself.

Jim Rogers

The last shot shows the position you hold it when you drag it across the timber.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

There are many variations of the timber scribe.
Here is one similar to the one I have. This link shows how letters and numbers are scribed. Pretty neat.
http://www.penryfamily.com/surveying/timberscribe.html

Buy new ones from places like Ben Meadows.
About $60
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: beenthere on October 19, 2014, 11:58:52 PM
There are many variations of the timber scribe.
Here is one similar to the one I have. This link shows how letters and numbers are scribed. Pretty neat.
http://www.penryfamily.com/surveying/timberscribe.html

Buy new ones from places like Ben Meadows.
About $60

I Googled timber scribe after Jim answered my question and found this same link.  Pretty ingenious idea.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!