iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding Borax to my timber finish?

Started by gullydweller, October 19, 2014, 08:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gullydweller

Hi all, I am just curious if any one has tried adding Borax to there timber finish before application.  I use Heritage Natural Finishes "Original Finish" on my timbers and just thought that if Borax would dissolve into the oils it might be handy to have in the timbers for mold and bug projection.  Just thought I'd seek some advise before trying it since the finishes are pretty expensive and I don't want to waste too much if it doesn't work.
Timber framer, dreamer and father to two little rippers.

Stephen1

I would treat with the borax ahead of the stain. why take a chance a ruin a formula.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

gullydweller

I have done that but was just looking to cut out a step and more importantly I thought it might allow the Borax to soak in deeper and more permanently.  Not sure if that would actually be the case, just fishing for ideas.

canopy

Isn't borax a pretty traditional method of preserving timber frames? How did the old timers work borax in conjunction with the natural oils of the day?

gullydweller

Yeah, I have definitely heard of Borax being used heavily to treat frames but it was usually as a separate step from the finish.  I suppose I will just try it with a small sample and see how the oils and borax react.  I was just hoping others had already tried it.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Magicman

My thoughts would be that the borax would become encapsulated within the finish and some of it would not actually reach the wood.  With a water solution, all of it reaches the wood and soaks in.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gullydweller

That makes sense to me, thanks for the insight.

WDH

The borate that I use is water soluble.  Don't think that it will dissolve in an oil finish, but I have never tried it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!