iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

name for sawmill business

Started by willmyers0169, October 19, 2014, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willmyers0169

i need a name for my sawmill business... i bought a sponsorship for a truck pull and they want to make a sign with my business name on it, but i dont have one. any suggestions?
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

thecfarm

Your first name Will? Will Saw Lumber. Will Saw Logs
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

willmyers0169

Quote from: thecfarm on October 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
Your first name Will? Will Saw Lumber. Will Saw Logs

:D :D :D :D :D

drobertson

Sounds like you need to do a search for an inc. name,   Either your family name?  or "White Plains Lumber Processing"  WPLP,?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

downsouth

I'm kinda dealing with this dilemma also. My wife wants to call it "Good Wood" I'm not sure I like it for a mobile sawmill business.
  I think it should somewhat imply what you do ,
"Joe's mobile sawmill service" or
"Joe's sawmill service" or
"Joe's custome sawmill service"
That's just what is stuck in my head for some reason. I can't seem to come up with anything very original.
  Good luck,and let us know what you come up with.

ozarkgem

White Plains lumber. Or if you want to be politically correct it would be
Euro Caucasian Anglo American Lumber. ;)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Brad_S.

The only problem with using your name in the business is that should you ever wish to sell it as a going concern, the name will be a liability unless the next buyer has the same name. Something more generic may serve you better down the road. As was mentioned, you can't just pull a name out of the air and use it, you need to research and make sure that name is available for use in your area.

Be aware that if your name is getting advertised, you are starting to get on the radar of government agencies and if you are not set up as a business, it may bite you at some point. Perhaps it is better to tell them thanks but no thanks on the ad?
Best of luck!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Solomon

How about "Cut Right Custom Sawing"  or  "Sharp Cut Sawing"    Your slogan could read  "You cut it down , We'll cut it up" !    8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

red oaks lumber

if you want to have your business taken serious dont use your name or have any dorkie sounding name to your business. :) just my opinion. think about where you want to see your business going in 1 yr 3 yrs. will you still be just sawing? or do you want to add lumber sales ? maybe you want to do finish planing of lumber.
white plains lumber & millwork
b.m. custom sawing
peach tree lumber co.
the sky is the limit, use your imagination. :) for me red oaks lumber came from seeing pictures of my great great grand parents farm when they settled here in the early 1900's on the side hill in white rocks was the farm name ... red oaks farm.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Solomon

I don't agree with that,  look at the absolutly ignorant stupid comecials you see on tv by huge billion dollar corporations and they make millions and millions from it.
And  Cut Right Custom doesn't sound  "dorkey" .

downsouth

Good point ROL
  Something to think about. I never cared much for using my name in particular but maybe a street name ,or a town or area,in conjunction with
"...............Custom wood works"
  Or even better and simpler
"..............wood works"
      Not trying to hijack this thread just trying to get some ideas out there.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on October 19, 2014, 08:43:36 PM
if you want to have your business taken serious dont use your name or have any dorkie sounding name to your business. :)

......like Dorkie Steve's Sawing and Planing Service.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Just a thought, but two local, long time local business use the family name, they are global, and are two of the largest private land owners in the state,, just saying, not sure about some of the  electronic big boys from the East?  Family names that have a good name stick, and most don't sell.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Whatever you choose, you do need to search through your Secretary of State to verify that the name is available either as an LP, LLC, etc.  If sawmilling is the principal service to be offered, then I believe that the company name should identify the service.  I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the name being "catchy".  I have certainly had no problem with mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

A couple extra things to consider.....
-a name that begins with a letter early in the alphabet will come up first in alphabetical listings
-a name that contains terms people might Google on the internet when looking for your services might be at the top of the page with very little effort, assuming you have a web site.

For example "Georgia Portable Sawmill" or "Georgia Logs to Lumber"
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red

Sawdust Experts. 
Acme Products. .Roadrunner /wile e coyote
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

willmyers0169

Thanks everyone for the advice, i really value it.  Alot of good suggestions so far, i will do some more research tomorrow and try and narrow things down.  Thanks Again. Will

mikeb1079

Quote...like Dorkie Steve's Sawing and Planing Service.

:D :D :D

or "goat and mater's portable sawmilling"

:D :D :D ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 19, 2014, 09:46:33 PM
A couple extra things to consider.....
-a name that begins with a letter early in the alphabet will come up first in alphabetical listings
-a name that contains terms people might Google on the internet when looking for your services might be at the top of the page with very little effort, assuming you have a web site.

For example "Georgia Portable Sawmill" or "Georgia Logs to Lumber"

A friend had a auto repair business and he totally did the beginning of the alphabet thing.  The first word in his business name was spelled AACTION.  He was first in the yellow pages and got lots of business because of it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Solomon

Quote from: Magicman on October 19, 2014, 09:45:51 PM
Whatever you choose, you do need to search through your Secretary of State to verify that the name is available either as an LP, LLC, etc.  If sawmilling is the principal service to be offered, then I believe that the company name should identify the service.  I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the name being "catchy".  I have certainly had no problem with mine.
Now there's something I had not thought about.  It would definatly be a great idea to check and make sure you're not trying to use someone else's buisness name or a name to closely resembling another buisness name.   That advise will very likely save you a lot of trouble, aggravation and wasted time.   That's a Home Run for sure.  You knocked that one out of the park Majic Man !!!!!

Solomon

Quote from: downsouth on October 19, 2014, 09:03:59 PM
Good point ROL
  Something to think about. I never cared much for using my name in particular but maybe a street name ,or a town or area,in conjunction with
"...............Custom wood works"
  Or even better and simpler
"..............wood works"
      Not trying to hijack this thread just trying to get some ideas out there.

Two thumbs up DS.

delvis

My father's name is Dave and my name is Mike so our business is called D.A.M. Fine Sawing, with the 'A' standing for 'and'.  Maybe it sounds 'dorky' but it has gotten more than a few laughs from folks when they see my sign.  I like that.  Life is too serious as it is.  My son's nickname is Boochy and he suggested we could add a 'B' on the end of D.A.M. and it would still sound the same.  Haha. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on October 20, 2014, 12:18:53 AM
Quote...like Dorkie Steve's Sawing and Planing Service.

:D :D :D

or "goat and mater's portable sawmilling"

:D :D :D ;D

Good 1 Mike!  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cedarman

Ask yourself, who will your clientele be and how will they find you?  What would you look for if you were looking for your services?  To me there is a difference between being cutesy and being catchy.  I personally don't like cutesy names, but do like catchy names.  I know of quite a few businesses that were bought out and kept the original owners name because that company name had good local recognition built up over many years.   We still go to Van's restaurant even though "Van" sold it 15 years ago.  Everybody knows Van's.  We had our starters and alternators fixed at Bradfords who hadn't owned it in many years.
I picked Eastern Red Cedar Products because it says what we do.  Red Oaks Lumber is similar.
Young people and those in  IT tend to like the frivolous names like Google, Yahoo, Twitter,  etc.  and they have worked well for them.  I think manufacturing is a different kettle of fish though.
Try googling different names and see what pops up.
I don't think the yellow pages are worth the paper they are printed on. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ianab

Another thought is to keep a fairly generic description in your business name.

Like "abc Wood Works" or "xyx Lumber Services"

Reasoning is that your business model may change over time. If you are highly specific with your name, "Bob's Portable Sawmilling", what if you decide to change focus and not be portable any more. Maybe there is better money in Kiln drying and machining, so you shift focus to that. Or you find sawing cedar and making garden furniture from that pays better? The name still works, and you just change the description lines on your signs, business cards and adverts as needed.

It's very seldom that a business plan goes unchanged for years. Maybe you will get things right first time, or maybe a better niche (or niches) will come along over time, and you change focus to take advantage of them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!