iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What welder for building a mill?

Started by slider32, October 19, 2014, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Welcome slider32 you might be my kinfolk.They have about covered the welders but good luck on your project.
al glenn

delvis

Based on your budget, I would say buy something like a Lincoln 'tombstone' welder and run rods.  I have a mig welder close to your price range and while I love how easy it is to use, it is limited to what it can weld for thickness and how long it can weld for on its duty cycle.  Now, if you drop some real coin you can get a mig that will weld up to 3/4 plate in one pass but you're talking a lot more money than you want to spend. 

Go with the stick welder and anything really thin that needs to be welded, hire it out once you have the money. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Buffer

I have had a Lincoln 180 AC Stick for 35 years, bought it for $75 used. Still works fine. Last year I bought a Lincoln 180 MIG, love it, but nothing wrong with the Stick.
Stihl 026, Homemade Log Arch, LSG3033H FEL, Bandsaw fabrication in progress. Now Done. Thats a First

36 coupe

I have one question,do you have the skill it will take to build a band mill?I have been welding since the mid 50s but the distortion you get when welding would make me think twice before I tried building a sawmill.I would never use a 140 mig on a saw mill build.It takes more than a welder to build projects.Big drill press, power hack saw, clamps and a level spot to set up the frame for welding.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: 36 coupe on October 23, 2014, 08:23:45 AM
I have one question,do you have the skill it will take to build a band mill?I have been welding since the mid 50s but the distortion you get when welding would make me think twice before I tried building a sawmill.I would never use a 140 mig on a saw mill build.It takes more than a welder to build projects.Big drill press, power hack saw, clamps and a level spot to set up the frame for welding.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes here but, if, when you design the mill you keep in mind what tools you  have available and how you build it you can get by with a hack saw, a welder and a hand held electric drill.  That is pretty much what I used to build the head of my saw and I stepped up to doing the cutting with an angle grinder when I made the bed.

StimW

If you have a Sailboat then buy a MIG and keep it on the boat. You will be guaranteed that the wind will blow!!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

slider32

Well, some good advice here, and some that has me scratching my head and wondering why I bothered to ask the question.

This will be a small mill, sized to cut logs I can either move/roll by hand with a cant hook, or a hand crank winch, so any suggestions of hydraulics are out.  I realize a lot of guys here are production millers and do this for a living, but that isn't my intention at all, this is just an offshoot of my woodworking hobby.

As far as skills, This is a learning experience for me yes, but I am building a small sawmill, not a precision engineered component for the space shuttle. 

With The addition of a welder and maybe an abrasive cutoff saw, I will have everything I need to giter done.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: slider32 on October 23, 2014, 12:41:52 PM

This will be a small mill, sized to cut logs I can either move/roll by hand with a cant hook, or a hand crank winch.

That was my plan when I built my mill.  I built my mill so it could handle a 32" log.  I figured that would be WAY bigger than I would ever have a use for.  Before the mill was finished I bought a cheap tractor and now it isn't uncommon for me to have logs that are too large to fit on my mill.  I'm just saying this to suggest you build it with more capacity than you think you will need.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: slider32 on October 23, 2014, 12:41:52 PM
I am building a small sawmill, not a precision engineered component for the space shuttle. 
Keep in mind while building the sawmill that the more presice everything is engineered the more you will be smiling as you shuffle thru the sawdust in your space 8)
You don't want to giter done and find you have a rocking horse either.

I can burn a stick all day long laying down a wear bead, but when it comes to taking the twist out of a cage that was square when you started welding but the heat distorted it well that is where the skill comes in.

The previous owner of the Cooks mill did not like the bolt on conection for the bed exstention, so they welded it solid. In doing so the heat generated a bow that raised one corner of the bed exstention up about an inch smiley_headscratch their getit done solution was to park the head on the exstention and start cutting down thru the rail, and the 4x8 tube frame with a sawsall until the bed set down :-\

The previous owner of the WM used a buzz box and welded from three feet away resulting in alo t of splatter but not much penitration.

You know what your skills are going into the project and nothing wrong with learning a few new ones along the way as they may come in handy later ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

slider32
Wish you well on your build. And take a look at this video recently posted of "Ralph" and his build over the years.
As long as it is fun building... which may be the best part of doing it yourself as you go.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4109955.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree Dan

Yes I must agree with some of the others here... the fitting is the tricky part...It takes many years to get good at it....Its not the mater of just welding steel its the way you fit your material and know what to use.
By the way there is no such thing as penetration on this type of build also there is no such thing as splatter in the welding .
If you know how to fit and weld that CT machine will work for a home built mill.
If you think down the road that you would like to weld more stuff and your doing more of it go for a 220 volt mig...Miller or Lincoln...stick is ok but its old school Mig is the way to go...get one a bit bigger than you need for now if you can and just cry once.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Swatson

I use a mig welder for just about everything.  I use shielded wire anymore with no gas.  The gas make some mighty pretty welds but it is a long trip from here to exchange bottles.  My mig is only a 120V unit so I have to make adjustments for heavy welds, namely to bevel edges of thick steel, build up the bead with multiple passes, preheat or maybe just by using buttress pieces (increases weldable area).  But 90% of the welds I use building my mill the little mig does just fine.  Mine is a Lincoln and is about 15 yrs old.  The only advice I have is dont ignore the duty cycle too much.  It will eventually catch up to you and start causing issues (like tripping limits).  It would be nice to have an arc welder for the heavy welds but its not an option so I make due, plus I am so used to wire welding that it would be quite a learning curve for me to learn how to feed a stick to the weld. 

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Don_Papenburg

To keep warping to a minimum weld on the opposite  side the same amount as the first  and weld on the other end the same amount .  Look for a welder on estate / farm sales also . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

low_48

When looking at any welder, be sure to check duty cycle. Cheap little machines can be used as little as 2 minutes solid use out of 10 minutes. That machine would need to cool that remaining 8 minutes to not overheat. That would be called a 20% duty cycle. Not bad for repair work, but 2 minutes of run time welding a frame isn't much. You must be able to buy used steel? I'm not sure you couldn't buy a used sawmill for what the tools, steel, parts, and engine would cost. I build a lot of my own stuff, but would not make a sawmill.

thecfarm

I have a Lincoln SP-175T. Runs off 220. I don't usually weld for a ½ hour steady. But have welded 15 minutes at a time. But that is not really steady either,due to moving,maybe clamping another piece of metal.I have never had it shut down,because of duty time, on me. The one that use to run of 110 would shut off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

I have a small Lincoln 120 volt MIG for thin material up to 1/8", Miller 210 MIG that is good up to about 3/8" with 1 pass, and a buzz box that will handle anything. All have their uses, but the Miller is my favorite. You may want to find a welder first and get some practice with that units capabilities and see how the materials behave before designing your mill. Materials will move during welding as stated above, but a good design will allow for adjustability in the critical locations. I can't wait to see pics of your build. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Billbob

Welcome Slider

I have a Lincoln 140 mig and a Lincoln 225 stick welder.  Like you I learnt on a stick welder.  Eventually started using a mig.  I like both and they both have pros and cons.  The price on the 140 mig that you quoted from CT is an excellent price.  It will be more than enough machine to do the job on the mill.  Once that job is done you will find all sorts of other jobs to do with the welder!
I'm heading to the shed right now to weld up a bed extension for my Woodland HM126.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

36 coupe

I see 100 used welders on one site.Why buy new?THERES A LOT OF TOOLS FOR SALE NOW.It brings me back to an old saying.Only a fool sells his tools.

Dave Shepard

Farm auctions are good places to find old stick welders cheap. I only paid $25 for my Idealarc, and the electrode holder still had a $40 price tag on it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slider32

Quote from: 36 coupe on October 25, 2014, 05:12:51 PM
I see 100 used welders on one site.Why buy new?THERES A LOT OF TOOLS FOR SALE NOW.It brings me back to an old saying.Only a fool sells his tools.

Another old saying, location, location, location.

Where I live the used market for just about anything is a special kind of hell.  There are only 5 welders available on Kijiji in my area(craigslist is almost unknown here) of the 3 that are in my price range, all 2 are for sale for the same price I can buy them for new, and 1 is listed for more than it sells for new.  There is only 1 pawn shop in the area, I have not checked it out yet, but I don't have high hopes.

york

Albert

Dave Shepard

The only complaint I have with Miller is the way too complicated methods for setting them. Lincoln had two knobs, Inches Per Minute, and Volts. Miller has switches under the hood, less than infinitely variable "ranges" on the front and their infamous percentage scale for power. You can get the setting you want, but it's just so complicated. With my Lincoln, you just selected "19 volts" and "350 IPM" and started welding. A friend of mine explained the reason for it. Something about not wanting to build a more expensive machine, so they achieved the settings in a roundabout way.

edit to add: I'm not trying to steer anyone away from Miller. I think they are definitely a high quality machine. My TIG is a Miller and it's older than I am and works perfectly. Wish I could say the same for myself.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

york

Dave,i was just trying to make a point about Mig welder`s in general,that is all is use now-if Slider was close i would loan him my Lincoln 180,is not a bad machine.....
Albert

36 coupe

Slider should take a trip to Maine and fill a pickup with 50 buck welders.Back in NS he could sell the welders and buy a mill ready made.Many people buy a new welder and find welding takes a lot of skill and sell the welder fast at a loss.Ive welded with stick and mig, I like the stick better.I have an old stick welder my dad bought in a junk yard for 10 bucks.Its so old its wound with cotton covered wire.Still works fine.My Lincoln 225 cost 93 bucks in 1964.No 800 buck circuit boards to go bad.

Thank You Sponsors!