iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

exiting the shop this week

Started by tule peak timber, October 19, 2014, 03:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Some pics this morning of various pieces leaving the shop this week . A 10 foot claro slab dinner table with a 7 foot desk behind it,  3 countertops in the distance; a series of pepper tree cookie tables ,a coastal live oak table top, a walnut timber table top, and a hewn fireplace mantle with another claro slab desk to the left. Enjoy... Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mesquite buckeye

Cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Soon you will be rich!!! ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

The man is Rich!  great stuff there! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I like them. You have some talent.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

downsouth

WOW! That is awsome my friend!
  The mantel,is it hewn or is there a process to make it look that way? Either way it looks great. I have a few mantels cut and drying, and may try something like that.

yukon cornelius

I love to see your work! you are a craftsman!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

54Dutchman

Very nice, it is always a pleasure to see your work.  And yet to be doing what one enjoys is not work.
Thank you for sharing. ;D ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Sawyers are great but those that make something out of the wood are the true heroes.  Very nice.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bill Gaiche

Very nice Rob. Thanks for sharing your work, its a pleasure to see your work. bg

Magicman

Very nice.  I love the way you visualize, capitalize on, and accent what nature gives you. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A new Idea, I like the legs on the cookies.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tule peak timber

On the legs , I drew a design and transferred it to a template, then built an expandable jig to fit coffee and end table cookie tops .The different heights are taken out of the center of the legs. I  want to do a run of Walnut tables next month using this same basic design, then a run of Madrone tables . We shall see how they sell ..... I think the simple "walnut timber top " will go well , depending on base. Still working on that. Thanks for the comments..  Rob

tule peak timber

One of the Claro crotch desks heading out tomorrow. Conversion varnish rubbed out to 1500 grit, nice and shiny !....

mesquite buckeye

Cool. Do you make the metal legs too or is that coming in from elsewhere? ;D  8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tule peak timber

I build all wood legs here , and we used to fabricate in metal also. Due to the sheer number of tables lately , outsourcing is the way to go. How goes the cactus ranch ?

mesquite buckeye

Wrapping up field 2 with about 9500 and starting to plant field 3 with about 1900. that will give us like 15500 field planted with an army of little ones in process. I'm hoping to have close to 8000 ready to go in the next field by spring and hopefully several thousand more ready by late summer.

Hoping to have something to sell by  2017. :-\

We are also talking about adding golden barrels, but we will need more GH space and fields cleared to do much of that. Right now those are a back burner deal so we can make small mistakes instead of big ones. ;D

tule peak timber

What killed us out here was watering and weeding costs. I just wanted to break even in my lifetime, and wasn't sure about that . So I bought a little chainsaw ,,,,,,,and cut my first piece of wood leaving the growing behind....  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

There is a trick with weeds. Kill them all. If you can't get them before they are in seed, load them up and get them out of the growing area and burn or bury them. If you get all the weeds for a couple of years, you will have very few after that. ;D You keep weeding costs low by never getting behind on them. 8) :snowball:

Good luck convincing the help of that when there are only 200 weeds left scattered over an acre of ground with thousands of seeds each on them. If they don't see them, they don't exist....and they don't want to see them. :( >:( :(

tule peak timber

I still shudder at the sight of a single flowering horseweed in the middle of nowhere !   :D :D :D

mesquite buckeye

Just sitting there, quietly under the cork tree, sniffing the flowers.... :)

And waiting to let those 100,000 plus seeds make more of them. >:(

Left Coast Chris

Very nice Rob!!

Regarding the dinner table, I had a couple of questions since I have some slabs drying Im planning on using maybe next year.

1)  How durable do you feel the epoxied cracks are without bowties?   The concern would be the piece gaining moisture at its destination point and opening up.  Do you finish both sides to keep moisture out?  Ever have any complaints of cracking?

2)  Any chance of pic of the legs if it has not shipped out?   The connection from the legs to the table is of interest.  Im planning on solid plank vertical legs with a runner out of oak on each edge at the top then small angle iron clips connection with lag bolts to the underside of the slab.

Fantastic work.  Those will be some lucky buyers.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tule peak timber

Hi Left Coast, To answer your questions :The epoxy , if applied properly, is extremely durable.I follow the same finish schedule on ALL surfaces and have had one joint open up so far on one of my pieces. I do 20- 30 counters , tables , benches a month and so far so good. The joint that opened up was on a bed headboard blasted by an air conditioner in Palm Springs. I repaired the headboard and no call backs-see pic

On the legs for the big walnut table , they arrived , and I sent them back out of concerns for stability. When the legs assembly comes back I will post a pic of the modified set. I use angle iron clips all the time as long as you are not "crossing " grain from the top to the legs.  Cheers  Rob

Left Coast Chris

Thanks Rob,

I have a coffee table I did not finish the back side and it does some seasonal cupping.  Im probably the only one that notices it but finishing both sides makes sense.

I'll post some pics also as I progress.   I also found a Rodgers stroke sander I will be playing around with to finish the top.  Thanks for your advise and inspiration!   :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tule peak timber

I look forward to your pics !  Cheers  Rob  8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!