iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting cookies

Started by Napowan, October 19, 2014, 08:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napowan

Does anyone have some tips on cutting cookies (black walnut)?  I worried about them cracking.
There's never nothing to do.

Magicman

Quit worrying about because they are gonna crack. 

Now. I did saw some Walnut cookies several years ago that did not and have not split.  I have loaned them out for several weddings.  The log was many years old and was completely dry. 

There have been recent posts about a solution to soak them in before slowly and controlled drying.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ElectricAl

Walnut is a forgiving species, but cut more than needed.
Try to keep them around 1" thick to prevent cracking.
Some will crack though.

Check out this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOgkc2fP-ao&list=UUVKuunOHc5ERyL3fLrLpgOg
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Sixacresand

At a recent crafts fair, cedar cookies were a big hit.  I got a 18" sweet gum log and plan to cut some 4" thick cookies to use as wheels.  An old timer (lots older than this old timer) told me gum would not crack and as a child they woud use them on play wagons with oak axles.  I'll try it, just for kicks.   :D 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Less chance of drying checks if the cookies are cut on the bias. Get an oblong cookie and waste some wood on the ends. On the bias handles the drying stresses better than straight across the grain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tule peak timber

We cut maybe a thousand per month.These are walnut cookies in the photo.I just pitch out the ones I don't want and keep the better ones.Thin stickers , out of the breeze, then off to the kiln... ;)  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Banjo picker

The tip I would give is make sure you have them anchored securely if you are cutting them on a band mill and go slow.... I only did it for one wedding and messed up a band when the log moved.  If only cutting a small amount for a wedding or event, cut them only a day or so before you need them.  That's a whack of cookies in that picture.  WoW.... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

yukon cornelius

I recently read an article about turning green log bowls and found an idea I will try. they placed a fresh cut and fresh turned bowl inside 2 paper grocery bags and rolled them down tight and put them in a dry cool low humidity area. he claimed there were very few failures. I am going to try it an a few cookies. I have had great success cutting them and leaning them upright in the cool dark corner of my shop.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!