iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Students and I building a firewood processor.

Started by Lazy logger, October 16, 2014, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver1655

What size cylinder will you be using?  The cylinder in the photos doesn't look very large in diameter for the number of splits your multi-wedge will be making even with staggered engagements.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

johndeerkiwi

Really enjoying reading about your awesome project and the photos. Look forward to hearing more and eventually how it works in practice. I also appreciate your responses to suggestions and honesty. Keep it up, I wish school was like that for me!
"Many a man has failed to see what is too simple for a complicated mindset, and too inexpensive for an unlimited budget"

Lazy logger

Quote from: KiwiBro on April 30, 2015, 11:13:53 PM
Is the wedge vertically adjustable? Or perhaps to be positioned at the very end of the beam? If not, how are you avoiding the bottom splits binding between beam and wedge? I've seen some wedges that are not hydraulically height adjustable but do float a few inches vertically if need be.
Yes the wedge is movable, should be room under it for pieces.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Lazy logger

Quote from: Oliver1655 on May 01, 2015, 07:54:18 AM
What size cylinder will you be using?  The cylinder in the photos doesn't look very large in diameter for the number of splits your multi-wedge will be making even with staggered engagements.
It is a 5in. cyl. with 4in. rod.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Lazy logger

Quote from: johndeerkiwi on June 15, 2015, 03:10:54 AM
Really enjoying reading about your awesome project and the photos. Look forward to hearing more and eventually how it works in practice. I also appreciate your responses to suggestions and honesty. Keep it up, I wish school was like that for me!
Thank you for your kind words, we really appreciate it. We hope through this build that someone building there own can learn from our accomplishments and or failures. More is soon to come I had to take a break to "cut firewood for this year" go figure. :-\ 

Randy88

Nice looking project, keep the photo's coming.   

4x4American

Haven't heard from ya in a spell how's it coming?
Boy, back in my day..

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Oliver1655

Schools out for the summer.  (Seems I've heard this phrase before.)
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

4x4American

If they didn't finish I assign them to summer school!
Boy, back in my day..

Lazy logger

Hey Guy's, You are correct Lopet, I have been out cutting firewood. Just finished last week. 120 fc I will be back on task this week and will be sending pics soon. Good news from the lawyers they are filing a provisional patent for the bar oil pump this Fri. I hope it works out, if it does my program can get some very needed money for supplies and tooling.
Thanks for checking up on me.

Lazy logger

Okay, so I have been able to spend some time on this. I now have the drive sprocket for the conveyor mounted. I have also mounted the saw. More to come soon.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Lazy logger

Thanks 4X, Tonight was a little assembly line welding. Fun but man is it hot!!!

beenthere

The build looks good and very heavy duty.

Wondering where are the students?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lazy logger

Thanks Beenthere, The students will be back in three weeks. They are the engineers so they have done most of the design work. We originally planned to have it going by May, but that proved to be a challenge we could not conquer. So I told them I would get what I could put together and when they returned they would be in good shape to finish it this fall. Most everything is just tacked together so they can finish the welding when they get here. The next big challenge will be Hydraulics. We will be looking for input on that subject for sure.

Lazy logger

Worked on the tank today, exhaust pipe welded to the flan-gets, Installed a baffle plate at the end. Also finishing up the feed conveyor.
Question: What is the best thread sealant for these pipe fittings?
I know Teflon tape is a no,no. But what would you use?

beenthere

Not sure what "pipe fittings" you speak of.  ?? oil/water/air.  pressure? threads? size?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

LL,
I use a product called Hercules 'Real-Tuff', p# 15-620. Contains teflon in particle form, and seems to work well.

Incidentally, good on you for coming up with this project for your group.  No doubt they've gained something of value.

In the event you didn't get into it previously, why did you decide to go with a more complicated means of bar/chain oiling?  Was scoping out an older Multitek the other day, and the oiling mechanism appeared to have only one moving part.  Had me thinking of this project.

Lazy logger

Just the pipe threads,there are 1/2 up to 1-1/2

brendonv

I see tape on new equipment all the time. Start a few threads back and i see no issues with tape.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Lazy logger

Thanks Northriverenergy, The students are learning much and seem to like it. The reason for the pump is we where reading about the different ways of pumping the bar oil we found that there where two styles most everyone uses, the squirt style (We read that these can be finicky to adjust), and an automotive style fuel pump.( which I'm told works ok and is fairly inexpensive) In our minds we thought that it may be better (and more fun) to design a different way to do it. So here we are with something that will hopefully work really great and maybe make some $$$
for our program.

North River Energy

LAZERDAN

Hello, If their is one thing I know it's thread sealant.  No teflon tape for Hydraulics. Will work, but not good practice.  This is the stuff.  I hope this works.    Lazerdan

Henkel - Excellence is our Passion
Henkel North America

Loctite 565 Thread Sealant

]Top Pick Loctite® 565™ Thread Sealant, controlled strength, is formulated specifically for metal tapered pipe thread fittings. Controlled lubricity prevents galling and protects from rust and corrosion. Loctite 565 replaces most tapes and pipe dopes. Cures rapidly to withstand 10,000 psi. Perfect as a replacement for pre-coated parts. Can be used on fittings up to 2 in. (50 mm) in diameter. CSA 3319-81 and 3319-01. UL MH007(N). NSF/ANSI 61 Certified. ULC-Canada Approved. CFIA Approved.

Documents
    Technical Information

Technical Data Sheets (TDS)
Loctite 565 (Loctite 565)

PDF

English

Product information

IDH#    Item    Name    Size
Case Quantity    Material Safety Data Sheets
   RoHS
234438    56507    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
6 ml tube

234438 (us/en)

n/a
88551    56531    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
50 ml tube

88551 (us/en)

n/a
88552    56541    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
250 ml tube

88552 (us/en)

n/a
234440    56543    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
1 l bottle

234440 (us/en)

n/a
234442    56566    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
10 l bottle

234442 (us/en)

n/a
234444    56571    Loctite 565 PST Thread Sealant    
300 ml cartridge

234444 (us/en)

n/a

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Technical Data Sheets (TDS)
ISO 10993 Certification
Military Specifications
RoHS Search
Full Product List
Contact
Distributors
Process Centers
Technical Support
Email Us
Additional Resources
Case Histories
Literature
White Papers
Newsletters
Training & Seminars
Trade Shows
Quality Certificates
News
Locations | Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap © 2015 Henkel Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

LAZERDAN

Lazerdan's second choice is loctite 592 thread sealant.  maybe someone else can help with the link.  thanks

Thank You Sponsors!