iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished off shed visit with photos

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 16, 2014, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55412.0.html

In the above thread, I showed step by step how we raised a frame after checking all the joints to make sure it would all go together.

We used a gin pole to raise the heavy plate timbers.

Today, I visited the completed shed, and took lots of pictures of the frame and it's contents and surroundings.

Before I begin, I have to mention that this frame sat unfinished for some time as the owner ran out of money.

Then before it could be enclosed, the owner was notified that the frame was sitting too close to the boundary line with the neighbor's lot. And that this frame had to be moved.
After several discussions the new location was decided on and it wasn't very far from the original spot.
The owner asked me to come over to the frame and give her and her crew some advice about how to correctly "lift" the frame with a small truck mounted crane and place it in it's new location.

My first advice was to raise the frame only a few inches, up onto some blocks of wood. This allowed them to removed all the granite blocks she had purchased for the foundation.
Once all the granite blocks were removed, they removed the crushed stone base and used them to create a new foundation in a new location.

After the foundation move was done they braced off the sills to the posts with some regular lumber and duplex nails going from the sills up to the posts, on all four corners and from the sills up to the middle posts as well.
Also, from the long sill across to the shorter cross sill. That held the frame together and true.
The crane operator put his straps under the two long sills near the corners and lifted the entire frame up, swung it around 90° to the original position and set it back down.
Several trees in her yard had to be removed in order to do this. But it all worked out in the end.

After the building was moved the first thing they did was put on the 2 by roof decking materials which had been planned and tongue and grooved. Then the shingle roof.

Having a dry place to stand under was helpful for a while.

Next came siding the frame.

4x4 blocks were added between the nailers and the tie beams for window supports.

Here is a shot of the entrance to the barn (as she calls it):

The left side:

The right side:

You can see the tree stump near the left hand corner.

It is a little bit different then was we had planned:

The two little windows were replaced with one large pair. And the lift beam over the loft door hasn't been installed, yet. She asked me today if I could help her and her carpenter to install it.

Above is the back side.

One of the two doors:

The loft ladder and doorway from the inside:

One of the benches she makes from slabs she gets from me:

This set of shelves:

and this set of shelves:

are movable and are normally in her new landscaping van she drives to job sites. You can see the wheel well cut out in the last one. I guess the slide these in and out of the van when they need more room in the van for larger stuff.

Her (temporary) work bench:

Looking up at the loft area and the roof:

And the second door:

I commented at least twice about how I liked the barn door hinges she found and used.

I was very happy in how this frame finally got finished out.

The only thing that is currently missing is the door step block of granite.

I hope you enjoyed this.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

Well it came out nice!  Too bad it had to be moved.  I'm sure that was very frustrating for the owner.
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on October 16, 2014, 05:55:45 PM
Well it came out nice!  Too bad it had to be moved.  I'm sure that was very frustrating for the owner.

Basically she brought that on herself. She new it was close to the line but put it there anyway, figuring it would be ok. Well the original owner of the lot next door sold out and the new guy put in two houses. He cleared out the trees and everything right up to the property line.

Jim Rogers

BCsaw

Looks great after all the hard work.

Thanks for posting this, Jim.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WmFritz

I have to agree with you on the door hinges.
That is one unique bench there. Poston would trade 3 goats for it.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodworker9

Very nice....I, too, love those hinges.  I've got something very similar on my shed doors.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Woodbilly

Awesome stuff. Love the photos, enjoy the read, learning so much.

classicadirondack

That was a great raising.  Pretty cold, as I remember, in my role as chief "Butt Clamp"

Bernie

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Jim_Rogers

Stephen1

Good morning Jim, thank you for posting the pics.
it is great to see it  up and finished.
Some of us here were part of the orriginal TF school at Jim's place.
I learned a lot there. In fact I finally used some of the info in our leanto rebuild on the week-end.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!