iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first milling job

Started by Dave H., October 15, 2014, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

did this last weekend. got a call from a couple that had some old pine house beams they wanted milled.they had 6x8x16 beams that they wanted into siding. well we talked ,I gave them my terms;stationary mill, replacement blades, maximum of 10ft cuts, plus if I pickup and deliver charge.they agreed , so I got the first load of 6x8 cut to various lengths (5ft to10ft) and 27 beams total.we also thought 3/4 would be better for siding.they also had wood for a second load (4x4's and 4x6's) I would pickup when this load was finished.i did this job as a learning expirament and learn I did,lol.nails, not blade friendlt,cut my first one on the 4th beam,then hit the second on the 6th.i regrouped and cut all but 3 beams with no more hit.the last 3 just had too much metal to risk a blade.i also learned about pitch build up and how it mimicks a dull blade.realized this on my 3rd "dull" blade.well all went well for the most part,picked up the second load sunday,milled it on Monday.all I did was rip the 4x4's in half,also the 4x6's.total for them was 24 4x4's and 5 4x6's,all cut but one 4x4.customer was very happy the the return amout of lumber.bill included cutting,metal removal,sizing the 4x4's(they were 14'),pickup an d delivery of 2 loads.

Nomad

Congrats on getting your first job under your belt! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Sounded like a plan coming together for both you and the customer.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Dan

Great load of lumber there Dave....You did well! 8)
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

delvis

Very nice!  There is something very satisfying about seeing a customer happy with the work you have done for them.  Happy customers lead to more customers.  Word of mouth is the best thing a good reputation can ever get you, especially if there is a lot of competition out there.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

drobertson

Congrats!  this is a job you will always remember,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

One job done and may there be many more ahead of you!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

That is how you get it done.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!