ms362c Chain questions for milling

Started by WildernessAU, October 15, 2014, 12:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildernessAU

Chain
The stock bar I have is a Rollmatic.
3/8ths pitch
groove width .063

Want to order ripping chain.  I am not sure what size variances I can get.
Do I have to stick to 3/8ths and .063?   I think I have to stay with .063.   What will safely work with this bar?  Not looking to grind down standard skip chain.

Looking for a blend of speed and semi smooth finish.  Milling smaller pine into boards n beams.
Thanks for any help!

On a smaller saw like this, would it be worth getting a thinner bar and chain to increase cut efficiency? How does this work. new bar, chain and sprocket?
Thanks Again!

mad murdock

short answer, yes, you need to use same gauge and thickness chain, unless you change the bar, and drive sprocket to the size you want to change to.  The exception is if you are going to go from 3/8' .063" to 3/8" .058 or .050, in this case, you just need to change the bar, because the pitch is the same on all those sizes.  Long answere, it depends on what you want to go to from what you have now.  362 a bit small for a lot of milling. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WildernessAU

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

On Baileys for example, there is no 3/8ths .063 ripping chain..wait there is one but sold out.  Is this because most ripping applications use a thinner chain and bar for less kerf/resistance, hmm
Maybe I should just try a skip chain for milling.

Or, I could get the max 25" bar for my saw in say a .050 and use a picco chain if that is a good option.

mad murdock

I would recommend the 63PMX (picco) ripping chain. You will need a .050" bar and optimally a picco drive sprocket, make sure the bar is sized for the picco chain on the sprocket tip as well.  Since you are using a "smallish" saw for milling, the picco chain will give you all the advantages that you can get, which is desireable.  I use a similar setup on my Husky 372 for milling and it does quite well.  You can also make any chain rip smooth by filing the top plate ange to 0-10 degrees.  I like the oil-o-matic feature that stihl puts into the picco chain, it really helps to put the bar oil all along the bar, and improves in overall bar lubrication, especially with milling, which is important.  Use the forum search tool, and read up on similar topics, there are a lot of threads about it. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!