iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a CDL for dummies

Started by SawyerBrown, October 14, 2014, 09:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

So spring and fall I committed to take time out from sawing and help an old friend of mine and his brother with planting and harvest (about 3200 acres of corn and soybeans).  They've got 2 semis that they use to haul from the field to various bins, so they want me to get my CDL.  Um ... can't I just do the grain cart using an implement (tractor) that I'm used to?  No, we need another truck driver.  Well, OK.

Now I've gotten pretty good at backing the mill or a trailer or a little cart on the back of my lawn tractor or a wagon behind a tractor or about anything else ... but backing one of those big suckers with the rear tandems way in the back (to accommodate two dumps in the belly) has been a whole different story.  So, I've had limited time to practice and I'm still not very good, but decided to try the test anyway ...  In the meantime, I'm doing "OJT" and have gotten pretty good at shifting, lining up, and general handling.  Fortunately I haven't attracted the attention of any local law enforcement ... everything has been on country roads and smaller local highways.

In Illinois, at least, there are 3 parts to the "driving" test after you take the written test and get a learner's permit: the pre-drive inspection, a basic skills test (including backing -- straight, into an "alley", parallel parking) in the parking lot behind the facility, and then a road test, and you don't proceed to the next if you don't pass the first.  So I was really concerned I wouldn't get past step 2, but at least it might help me prepare for attempt #2.

So, I did my studying for the pre-trip inspection, and knew all the key important facts: tire tread depth minimums, how to do the air system checks, etc, etc, etc.  That was going to be a piece of cake, right?  Wrong!  My favorite example was at the wheels.  What do you look for?  Well, make sure the rims aren't cracked, look for shiny threads or rust streaks that might indicate loosening, ...  Yup, what else?  Um ... that's all I can think of.  I learned later -- after I failed --- that I didn't say that all the lug nuts HAD TO BE THERE.  Excuse me?  Well, I have to hear you say it.  Another was tires.  I didn't mention that all the tires HAVE TO BE THE SAME SIZE!  (I also didn't mention that they can't be mounted inside-out, on the wrong size rims, or actually mounted on the rims rather than just laying beside the truck ....).  So I never even got to the basic skills test ....

By the way, my air system check, which she said most people fail, was perfect ...  But, hey, I must be pretty stupid because I didn't know that all the lug nuts had to be there.  (My employer says my trucker handle should be "Lug Nut").

So attempt #2 is Thursday.  Hopefully I'll get past Step 1 and fail at the basic skills test.  I'm not sure how many attempts it's going to take before my buddy finally gives up and just lets me just chase the combine with the grain cart ...   :D

By the way, the 2 semi's ...  They've got a really nice Kenworth, 475-hp Cat, Fuller 8-speed.  Nice truck to drive, right?  Well, the other brother right away made sure I understood that "my" truck was the other one -- a 1988 Freightliner (i.e., freight-shaker) with a 350-hp Cat (barely enough to accelerate 80,000 lb+ up any kind of incline), part of the grill missing, and requiring hearing protection even with the windows closed.  (I may try to get a picture).  Um, thanks a lot!  (In reality, he's a really really nice guy, and we both drive both trucks, just depending on what we're doing at the time).

Someday I may actually be able to add "truck driver" to my resume.  Or not ...   ;D

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Dave Shepard

Do you even need a CDL? Here we only need a class D. No DOT card either, as I just read on the mass.gov website, farmers, custom harvesters and beekeepers don't need a DOT card to operate commercial vehicles. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

yukon cornelius

good luck! you might add that you need to make sure your truck must be present to inspect the lug nuts. oh and that your present when you check the lug nuts. idiots....

it does remind me of national registry testing for ems. you must state you are going to transport the patient. What???I thought I would just move in with them and live there after they called for an ambulance. ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

scsmith42

Good luck!

In NC, you do not have to have a CDL if you are operating equipment on behalf of a farm - only the appropriate class license (such as a class a with an air brake endorsement).

The nice thing is that this exempts you from the logbook and medical card requirements.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thompsontimber

Scsmith is correct, you can have non-CDL class A in NC.  Run in sc and tn too with farm tag, 150 mile radius of origin.

thompsontimber

Based on my extensive experience with truck drivers, I thought CDL licenses were indeed for dummies.  Or least have a prerequisite of being lazy and unreliable.  Just kidding to all those offended, we have actually had a good driver from time to time.  Rare gems though

jdonovan

Quote from: SawyerBrown on October 14, 2014, 09:48:08 AM
So attempt #2 is Thursday.  Hopefully I'll get past Step 1 and fail at the basic skills test.  I'm not sure how many attempts it's going to take before my buddy finally gives up and just lets me just chase the combine with the grain cart ...   :D

Here in VA fail 7 days between tries, and after 3 tries and you have to goto a CDL school.

slider

Good luck sawyerbrown .The pre-trip was always the hardest although it's been many years since I tested.If you made the air brake test ok the rest should be a breeze.On your road test be sure and keep both hands on the wheel and buckle up,and don't smoke.al
al glenn

LittleJohn

SAWYER, I think part of your problem is proximity to CHICAGO  ;) (Vote early, vote often -> as my uncle used to say).  That and the DMV were probably just flexing muscle, on the LUG NUT THING; I hope. 

Around here in rural MN, if I remember right EVERYONE fails there first drivers test (I think its the way the WITCH at the DMV can feel important)

sandhills

I drove my buddies semi to a town 40 miles away to take my test  :-X.  I'd already passed the written test but had never driven his truck before, there's a lot of difference between an old '73 freightliner with a 318 Detroit/13 speed, and no power steering (my truck) and a '01 freightliner with a 9 speed, big sleeper, and all the bells and whistles.  I passed, don't ask me why, but I needed to get hauling corn and I know she knew this wasn't the truck I was used to driving.  Watch the railroad tracks, intersections (no shifting), and any bridge you go over, they'll ask for the weight limit on the sign, good luck! 

hardtailjohn

I'm just glad I was "grandfathered" in when the CDL's came around.  I had a guy that was an inspector ride with me one time in the woods in the winter..... he shook his head all the way down off the mountain....sorta threw all that crap they were teaching out the window when it was ice and steep and raining! :D   
Good luck on your test!!! Just relax and go for a drive!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

snowstorm

you dont need a log book if you are less than 100 miles from home

scsmith42

Quote from: thompsontimber on October 14, 2014, 11:25:33 AM
Scsmith is correct, you can have non-CDL class A in NC.  Run in sc and tn too with farm tag, 150 mile radius of origin.

Yup - non-CDL Class A.  You need to have farm plates on the truck also.  The nice thing is that they cost about half of what standard commercial plates run.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don_Papenburg

Some guys were saying that Princeton has an easygoing CDL testing station.  Might be a stretch to drive up there but never know.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Gearbox

When you test the turn lights use left and right not the 4 ways . one of our new drivers missed this took another month of one of us rideing shotgun befor he could get another appt . gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ford_man

A friend flunked his test when he was done driving and was getting out of the truck. He didn't clime out he jumped. You must have 3 contacts with the truck when getting in or out. splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

SawyerBrown

Well, failed Attempt #2.  Got through the pre-trip inspection, but failed immediately when I stopped short of the "backing into a loading dock" zone.

Not that I'll EVER back into a loading dock, but hey, maybe some day they'll figure out how to make a grain trailer unload from the end onto  a loading dock, so I'd better be able to do that ...   ::)

The guy who I'm working for just laughs.  We're hauling some corn to an elevator that requires a tricky turn to get onto the scale, then weaving between bins to get to one of two pits.  Also turning onto/off of small roads with narrow entrances with deep ditches on either side.  One requires starting the turn, then backing the tractor further under the trailer and going again, to keep from dropping off into the culvert.  He says, just take your tester along for a ride, and she'll pass you immediately!   :D

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to truck up and down the highway, making sure I don't speed, using my turn signal, shifting smoothly, etc etc,  not doing anything to attract attention.  The other morning I even waved to a county cop as he passed!   :D :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

StimW

I drove Semi's for over 30 years and repaired them. (the big ones- Fruehauf, Roadway Express, Xtra, Transamerica, CSX)
I wasn't working around them when the CDL came in and had to test to get mine. I flunked the pre-trip! I could take the stupid thing apart repair it and put it back together BUT I didn't tell the inspector that I checked the mirrors, heater, wipers ect.
I got 100 on the driving and parking skills, even though I had to back up to a loading dock that wasn't there!! Just a line painted on the blacktop. AND had to parallel park the rig which I have NEVER had to do in 30 years of driving! ??
I took the written tests for all endorsements except Bus and after 9/11 I dropped the Hazmat because you had to pay $100. for background check and I wasn't hauling any anymore.
With my last renewal I didn't have a current medical card so they couldn't renew the CDL so I am back to class D. If I get the card they will re-instate the Class A but I don't really need it anymore so I will save the money. 
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Trahlin

Read the book and regurgitate what they need to hear.  I hired a young man to drive our machinery delivery truck.  I knew he knew how to drive, as I had seen him haul grain on their farm.  He let gremlins crawl into his head and failed the first time.  He wanted to quit.  I took him to a sleazy interstate truck stop for lunch afterwards.  While he was bemoaning his failure I pointed out all the drivers in the room.  Told him it was a shame that he didnt think he was as good as everyone else in the room.  Ticked him off, to say the least.  I told him that everyone else in the room had passed the test by reading the book, and reciting from it.

Next week he retook the test and passed easily.  He just had to adjust his outlook.  Anything DOT intimidates everyone.   Tell them what they need to hear in order to pass you.  You are smart, you will "ace" it. 
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

SawyerBrown

Well, passed the pre-trip but failed the "basic skills" -- you have to back within 3' of that imaginary loading dock, and I stopped short (automatic fail).  Guess what?  I'm driving a grain truck with belly dumps, and there's a tarp handle back there.  And, if I get close, I'm gonna get out and look how close I'm getting -- what a concept.  The guy I work for just laughs -- I'm negotiating through tight turns and getting the semi onto scales just longer and wider than the semi, and avoiding ditches and culverts getting in and out of fields.  He says, bring your tester along and see if she can do that ...

So, another week, and we'll be done with harvest.  Meanwhile, I'm trucking up and down the roads, and have no doubt in my mind whatsoever I'm doing it safely.  But I probably can't back up to a loading dock on the first try, should a grain elevator ever require you to do that.

Interestingly enough, I was talking to a school bus driver friend, and she said that nobody tries to pass that test "legally" -- they go to the facility on a day they're closed and pick a spot on the pavement or fence for reference.  Interesting.  Although I guess she'll probably never have to unload kids onto a loading dock either!   :D

Gary_C

Don't feel bad, everyone has trouble with that CDL driving test. The first time I took it, I tried to drive by the book and failed it too. Their stupid book says that when making a right turn, you are supposed to stay right next to the curb before you turn so some idiot doesn't try to pass you on the right. Try and do that with a 45 foot trailer and see if you can not drive over the curb when you turn. Some trucking companies keep an old short wheelbase trailer just for driving tests.

After I failed the first time the examiner threatened me with a ticket for not having someone drive me to the test. I told him he was full of it and didn't know what he was talking about. After I got home I called the State Patrol answer line and the State Patrol Captain said the guy did not know what he was talking about. Those examiners are a joke.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandhills

Gary I couldn't agree more, not to offend anyone here that may be one, but I'd like to see anyone of them climb in my '73 Freightliner with no power steering, no ac, and put 1000 bu of grain behind it, then drive it through what SawyerBrown said, I do it all the time.  At one of our local elevators when they start running out of room you even get to back into/onto things, that's even more fun in the dark with lights all around you pretty well casting shadows where you don't want them.  One thing that did make my testing easier for me was the fact that I also pull a cattle pot, so the loading dock was kind of second nature for me as far as judging the distance, but ya really, when in doubt, get out and look, of course that requires to much common sense I guess  ::).

Thank You Sponsors!