iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In need of help with woodmizer gremlins ( she's all fixed up)

Started by forester2009, October 13, 2014, 06:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forester2009

To keep a long story short.   I was in the process of cleaning up my mill, wich I haven't run in a long time.  I have a lt70 with the cat diesel and the starter doesn't seem to be getting any power.   I have power to the controls but when I turn the key I get nothing.  Not even a click.  Any suggestion on where to start.  Also my hydraulics wont respond either.  I can hear clicking though coming from the hydraulic box.  I look forward to your responses.
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

47sawdust

My Kubota wouldn't start a couple weeks ago.The lights worked,had 12.6 volts in the battery and at the starter.It turned out the battery had an internal short.We put jumper cables on it and it fired right up.I'm grateful for a savy mechanic.Might not cure your problem,but someone will be along with a solution.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DR_Buck

Check the battery voltage.  It may be dropping down under load.   Hydraulic pump and starter draw lots of current.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

highleadtimber16

A test light is a good friend in these situations.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

scully

I would check fuses , grounds , battery , has the mill gotten wet ? any corrosion on contacts ? A low battery can cause all kinds of issues . I hope this helps . As a side note do not attempt to use hydraulics with low battery trust me it aint good ......
I bleed orange  .

forester2009

Battery is reading 12+ volts even had a battery charger on it.  I also tried another battery.
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

drobertson

I hate to say it,, but unless you like chasing your tail,, give wmz a call, it would cut down on a few circles.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

Follow the power source. Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Sounds like a bad ground to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

forester2009

Drobertson

That would be the least amount of headaches.  I've chased my tail enough In life

forester2009

If you had to guess which ground conection would you start with

backwoods sawyer

The one on the bottom rail.
Gunk gets in there not allowing it to make a ground.

If that don't solve it get out a volt meter and start at the battery and work your way thru the starting system.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

Hello,
    Sounds like everyone has you going in the right direction. Here are a few things to think about.

I would start here first.

Facing the radiator on the right side of the Cat engine remove the black cover that has the glow plug relay and some other electrical connections. There is a manual reset circuit breaker that may trip. It will cause a no crank issue. It is a small tin box with red wires attached. There is a black button on the side of it. You should be able to push the button if it tripped.  You should hear a click.   

It takes at least 9 volts to excite the starter solenoid.  Check voltage at the blue wire on the starter. Turn key to 3 no voltage then go back to the circuit breaker. There is also a breaker in the control box under the key switch.

Ground for the mill and the hydraulic pumps are through the bottom rail. The engine grounds run through the mill from the battery ground post to the engine and more.

If the bottom rail has rust on it remove rust with wire brush on a drill. I use a 4" grinder with a stiff brush attached to the arbor.

I would not start here but something to think about.
    I assume this is a early LT70 there were some wiring issues in the control box under the water bottle. The connector would saw through the wires.  :o

There has also been some upgrades to the fuse block. There are two Red wires on the top left post, Are they loose? The fuse should be on first then the wire terminal then a lock nut. The nylock nuts usually melt and the nuts come loose. I toss them and add two nuts or a swedge lock style nut.
    If the fuse stud is loose or the block is burnt replace it.

If the fuse has black in the center then you have the new design fuse block. No worries if you have this.

A 12 volt test light and a volt meter works well if you call WM and they ask you to do some tests.

I always start at the battery, check voltage if it is 12v and then you put a load on it. ( Engage the starter or the hydraulic pumps) It should drop but not more than 3 or 4 volts. Then move the the fuse block. Old style fuse the top fuse is the control box and the bottom one is the hydraulic pumps fuse. Do the same voltage check here.

The hydraulic pump may be related to the engine no start or be something else. These systems are separate after the fuse block.

If everything checks out. Then call us. I could keep going but that will get you started.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

beenthere

Good to know,  and Marty is with WM   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

the willingness to help from people like marty is one of the reasons i bought a wm.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

terrifictimbersllc

How do you know your battery is in good shape?  Hydraulics that only click, wouldn't be that crazy for the starter not to do anything.   I'd take a jumper and test the spark from the red power wire on the starter to the frame.  Or better put a meter on it there.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

highleadtimber16

I agree with Marty on that little button inside the black box. I had a low battery on the mill, went to start it and didn't have enough juice so it blew the breaker.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

giant splinter

Any little critters take up residence in there during your absence? this should show up during your testing process, but its always good to have a look at all the wiring that is exposed and in places where rodents can hide.
roll with it

drobertson

bad or low battery, and or solenoid(s) 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodmills1

Again I will say this thread shows just how much/ how far the good guys at WM go to help the users get the machines to do what they are supposed  to.  As a 70 owner I know that sitting idle is a bad bad thing.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

barbender

When my 40 sits idle mice try to take over :( And rust, and a few other ills. Letting your mill sit is almost as bad as borrowing it to your brother in law :) (mine sits a lot).
Too many irons in the fire

dgdrls

Quote from: barbender on October 14, 2014, 08:48:12 PM
When my 40 sits idle mice try to take over :( And rust, and a few other ills. Letting your mill sit is almost as bad as borrowing it to your brother in law :) (mine sits a lot).

Put some drier sheets in the air-cleaner and some near your
engines covers and control boxes.  Keeps the rascals out.

DGDrls

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: dgdrls on October 14, 2014, 09:15:06 PM

DGDrls

So you're saying....if I have a hole in my laundry room where mice have been creeping in, I can stuff that hole with drier sheets and that will keep them out? This is a problem my wife has and she doesn't know what to do.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

I just picked up some more moth balls. That keeps them out of the control box.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 14, 2014, 09:30:56 PM
Quote from: dgdrls on October 14, 2014, 09:15:06 PM

DGDrls

So you're saying....if I have a hole in my laundry room where mice have been creeping in, I can stuff that hole with drier sheets and that will keep them out? This is a problem my wife has and she doesn't know what to do.
No, we are saying stop chewing holes in your walls, you old goat ;D
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Stuff the holes with steel wool.  Goats don't like to chew on it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

forester2009

Up date

The breaker on the side of the motor was the issue with it not starting.

The solenoid  that powers the hydraulics was bad.  New one on order.

Thank you all for all your suggestions and helpfulness.   

Thank You Sponsors!