iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab rack

Started by OneWithWood, October 13, 2014, 01:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

After years of stacking slabs on poorly made wooden forms I thought I would make some proper slab racks.

I used 1 -1/4 angle iron for the supports.  Here are some pics of the setup:

a pic showing the 'foot' arrangement for support and to located the 4'x4' pallets

The racks full of 12' slabs

I band the slabs just before I chainsaw the pile in half.  Once halved I move the stack to a location for storage:

These slabs are longer than what I normally saw so the pile is a bit heavy to one side.  It is all my JD4520 with a 400CX loader can do to move the pallets of slabs.  It isn't so bad when loaded with 9' logs, which is what I prefer to saw.
When it come time to fire up the OWB I will move the slabs a pallet at a time to the boiler, use a chainsaw to cut the slabs in half again, and then load the wood into the boiler.  We burn all the slabs early in the heating season, saving the split wood for the colder weather.

The metal cage to the right is how I handle the scraps from manufacturing stuff.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Looks like it will save a lot of work handling.

QuoteThe metal cage to the left is how I handle the scraps from manufacturing stuff.

That would be "stage left", right?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

I like it!  dancing-jack

Tree Dan

I like It too....You are smart and like to be organized.
I need to get me one of those strapers.

Cheers
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

WmFritz

I love anything that helps double handling stuff. Nice idea OWW.

Now how about a picture of that Chevy yard truck?   ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

OneWithWood

Quote from: beenthere on October 13, 2014, 03:08:14 PM
Looks like it will save a lot of work handling.

QuoteThe metal cage to the left is how I handle the scraps from manufacturing stuff.

That would be "stage left", right?   ;D

you would be correct.

Fixed it.  Thanks.  :)
One With Wood

Peter Drouin

So you make a new pallet for each one to pile on?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GDinMaine

I would be curious how long of a chainsaw bar it takes to cut that stack in half... Neat system I like it.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

ozarkgem

I like the wood on the pallets. Yeh how long is the bar on your saw? Do you let it dry for a while before burning?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

OneWithWood

I made a bunch of 4'x4' pallets that I use for the slabs and to stack split firewood on (thanks to Beenthere for that idea).  The pallets get recycled once the wood is burned.
The pile is cut in half using a MS660 with a 36" bar, coming in from both sides.
The slabs are left to dry until we fire up the boiler.  When I am producing in the heating season the slabs get burned relatively quickly.  The OWB burns green wood just fine and I get the pallets back for more slabs.   :)
One With Wood

MikeON

OneWithWood - those are nice straight slabs to work with.

Here is my small scale approach.  The slabs will be used in a small indoor boiler.  The gap between the double uprights is where the chainsaw goes through to cut to proper length (from both sides).  The bottom 2x4s that sit on the ground are pressure treated.  The joints where the bottom of the verticals meet the horizontals are glued for extra strength.   I top it off with split wood.  I've made 5 of these so far and plan to end up with 16.  When filled, they are about the optimum weight so I can stack them 2 high with the JD4310.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

OneWithWood

Looks like an excellent approach for your application.  :)
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!