iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Summer Barn Project

Started by Alligator, October 12, 2014, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alligator

In 1993 I built myself an A-Frame house in the middle of my/our farm. A month after I moved in my father decided he need a horse barn behind it. He bought some used 36' pole barn trusses which was fine. There are plenty in the area. When some one goes out of the chicken business, they are used in chicken houses. Then he put them on 12' centers, no problem, then he decided he could get away with 2x4 lath, problem and he bought used tin, problem. I complained, "why did you put ugly old tin on a 60'x60' barn behind my new house?" At the time he was 76 he had 30 Tennessee Walking Horses, and needed a hat barn. He replied to my complaint "that tin will last as long as I will live, I'll let you put some new tin on. Sadly he was right, he died 10 years later (2003) and the tin lasted another 10 years. The last couple of years it has leaked worse and worse. So I decided to rebuild it. It turned into quite a project for me alone at 60, and eventually had to hire help to put the lath and tin on. I started in late April and got the top back on in the end of September. But IT'S DONE!.

Now when and if I decide to build/buy a sawmill I have a place to put it or build it.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Ljohnsaw

:o Now, THAT is a work shed!  That is an amazing free span.  And you have a lot of storage space for lumber to boot.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Alligator

It about killed me. I took 2 controlled falls off a ladder, stepped on a rusty 20 penny nail that went through my shoe and almost my foot. 3 dr. visits later and a lots of sweat I replaced the 2x6 wing trusses with metal. 8) 8) I got some young pole barn guys to put the lath and tin on. They were pretty amazing. With 2x6 and tin on site on a trailer they took just 6 hrs per side to put the lath and tin on with just 3 guys. it wasn't their first time!

But now I have a 60x60 dry barn. 8)8) I had 3 different pole barn people tell me they would do it for $11,000 - 10,500 - $9,000. I did / got it done for $5,800 including doctor bills. :)

There is still a lot of work. The is a 22" difference between the high and low side. My next project is to concrete and close in the high side 12' wing to move my 12' x 20' shop into a 12' x 48' shop. I can't wiggle in my old shop anymore.

slider

Nice shelter now go on and find that mill and start sawing.
al glenn

WDH

It is an awesome shelter.  I picture it full of lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Alligator

Quote from: slider on October 13, 2014, 06:55:20 AM
Nice shelter now go on and find that mill and start sawing.
Now that the top is on, I need concrete. But before the concrete, the walls on the shop, the mill, I have to put together a crew to rob a bank. 8) I at the present time am financially embarrassed. My barn just got a new top, my wife just got home from Ukraine. My wife's mother is 89 years old and has been in her 4th floor apartment for 6 years with out leaving once. Needless to say she gets a lots of help from family and friends. so when she go over she takes $$$$$$$$$$ and spreads around. That is not to mention $500 a month we send so my sawmill will wait for a while.

Her mother is in good health, except for her knees. (Don't start with the knee replacement, or bring her over here, none of that flies) It's the Ukraine, which on the civilization scale is just over the border from being a 3rd world country. She went in early September and stayed for 2 weeks. I had to take a Xanax every night to sleep, with all the Russian / Ukraine fighting and planes shot down. Anyway her mother was an archaeologist, and spent 30 years of her working life on her knees, digging in the dirt. She has written and published 3 books on ancient culture around the Black Sea. (home is Odessa Ukraine, on the Black Sea) I've been over there 4 times, almost died from Dysentery, not going back if I can help it. >:(   

Alligator

I notice that some of you seem to have long span entrance to your mill. Pole barn can give you up to 60' clear span and not that expensive. Google "Jordan Truss". He is in the Florida panhandle and has prices on his site. Nice guy. His trusses are hurricane rated. But you probably have a pole barn truss company near by.

Thank You Sponsors!