iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening band mill blades

Started by JHEPP08, October 12, 2014, 07:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

Just curious what kinds of set ups you guys use ? I have a little LT15 .
Some of the sharpeners look like those electric chain saw chain sharpener.
Any ideas? Besides the $1000 + set ups?

Thanks in advance from a young pup
Woodmizer LT15

drobertson

I use a face sharpening Baker sharpener,  it was a free-be.  but have cussed it under my breath at times.  Wheels are the issue,  but would rather be in control after loosing my great resource at a great price.  Spending over half the cost of a new blade for a re-sharp goes against my grain. But this is just me.  Lots of folks do very well having the big names do theirs.   It is your call,  and one that has to be made.   I did some for the 3rd and 4th time today with great results.  Not bad for a  rinky dink operation,   just a little muffled murmuring in the process.  Good grinding wheels are hard to come by. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Banjo picker

JHEPP08 you have ruled most of us out  :)  with the price range.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JHEPP08

Maybe you misunderstood me, all the setups I see are really expensive I'm just trying to see if any1 has a good setup that don't cost a fortune yet does a good job. I can get them sharpened an shipped for about $10 or new for $26 but I like to think doing them my self would be handy
Woodmizer LT15

tmarch

Quote from: JHEPP08 on October 12, 2014, 09:02:58 PM
Maybe you misunderstood me, all the setups I see are really expensive I'm just trying to see if any1 has a good setup that don't cost a fortune yet does a good job. I can get them sharpened an shipped for about $10 or new for $26 but I like to think doing them my self would be handy
I have a EZboardwalk mill and sharpener, not terribly expensive and I can get 3-4 sharpenings out of the bands, takes some time but my freight cost to resharpen is more than most.  IF was full time with a bigger mill it would make a difference, but after I get whatever I can they are basically shot so time for new ones.  Take your time with a sharpener and get some education here if you don't understand something.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

JHEPP08

Ok thank you , just looking for different sharpeners people use that are reasonable .

Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

BCsaw

Tmarch, the EZ boardwalk sharpener looks just like the Linn Lumber sharpener. Does it do the gullet as well? I know some of these types do not and then you are leaving cracks.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

drobertson

I believe one should look closely at the metal composition of the blades available, especially at the wheel size in regards to the band being used.  There are a few that show very minimal cracking, if any, and face grinding works fine for these.  If cracks are forming from even one cycle run of  1000 thousand bd/ft then there might be an issue.   Just a thought.  I have run well over two thousand per sharpening with very limited  band breakage, with excellent results. The band is the difference.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BCsaw

drobertson, so are you only sharpening the tooth?

If so, that's good to know.

I am using 18.75" band wheels and they can be more prone to cracking on the blades because of the smaller diameter.

golddredger

I came across a video on you tube of a fellow using a radial arm saw to sharpen his blades. He profiled a grinding stone set up a track for the blade with an indexing stop. I thought wow what a great idea. I was just about ready to send off a boox of blades for resharp. Instead I went to my wood shop. Grabbed a new grinding stone 60 grit for the bench grinder. Ii used an old 36 grit to shape the profile on the 60. I mounted it on the radial arm saw. I make the blade track from wood and the adjustable stop. Placed a blade in and took an old grinding stone use'd in my hands and "dressed" the new cutting wheel till it matched the blade profile. Cool part is the arm saw tilts to 10 degrees right on the front. And it glides back and forth and adjust up and down for cuut depth. Well 1 hour initial setup time a $15.00 grinding wheel and I am now sharpening my own blades. Just plain awesome. I made my own setter similar to the linn lumber milll setter. No more sending blades off for me. I am on the 4 the sharpen and set on a blade today. I swear the cut more consistant than when they where new. Check youtbe or I can get some pictures of my setup and link the video as well if you are interested.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

FarmingSawyer

I'd love a link to the video and any other info about the radial saw system...

A while back I was seriously investigating sharpeners but the. Got lulled into security wit a good resharp service near where I was doing a lot of milling. But they're 2hrs away from
Where I live and do most of my work. I'm trying to arrange to get 10 bands there this week but I'm fearing even if I do they will reject 2 or 3 perfectly good bands because they were bent a bit when they slipped off the mill or got pinched in a cut. The bands run true but they're automatef system doesnt like them.  They have 2 or 3 machines in a room and one guy who set then all up to run while setting Bands In another area. They must sharpen 100 bands a day for small mills. In another area they do the 4", 6" and double tooth bands.

Meanwhile I had almost decided to get the ez Boardwalk sharepener to start with--until I can afford to get a cats claw..... I'd love to hear reviews.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

tmarch

Quote from: BCsaw on October 12, 2014, 10:38:30 PM
Tmarch, the EZ boardwalk sharpener looks just like the Linn Lumber sharpener. Does it do the gullet as well? I know some of these types do not and then you are leaving cracks.
Mine does grind the gullet, takes a little set up to do it though.  I'm getting good blade life so happy with it.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

goose63

Is there a video of the EZ Boardwalk sharpener? I am thinking abought getting one but would like to see how it works first
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

BCsaw

Golddredger, love that idea. That looks like you have something there.

For those that don't have a radial arm saw, they can be had cheap. $50 - $75 used in a lot of cases.

golddredger

I will get you guys some picttures today. And post them up. Stay tuned!

Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

36 coupe

Quote from: golddredger on October 12, 2014, 11:36:03 PM
I came across a video on you tube of a fellow using a radial arm saw to sharpen his blades. He profiled a grinding stone set up a track for the blade with an indexing stop. I thought wow what a great idea. I was just about ready to send off a boox of blades for resharp. Instead I went to my wood shop. Grabbed a new grinding stone 36 grit for the bench grinder. I mounted it on the radial arm saw. I make the blade track from wood and the adjustable stop. Placed a blade in and took an old grinding stone use'd in my hands and "dressed" the new cutting wheel till it matched the blade profile. Cool part is the arm saw tilts to 10 degrees right on the front. And it glides back and forth and adjust up and down for cuut depth. Well 1 hour initial setup time a $15.00 grinding wheel and I am now sharpening my own blades. Just plain awesome. I made my own setter similar to the linn lumber milll setter. No more sending blades off for me. I am on the 4 the sharpen and set on a blade today. I swear the cut more consistant than when they where new. Check youtbe or I can get some pictures of my setup and link the video as well if you are interested.
A 36 grit wheel is all wrong.You need 60 grit and finer.I have been sharpening saws as a business since 1970 and sharpened tools since the mid 50s.The tip  of the tooth does ALL the cutting.....

golddredger

Yes you are 100% correct 36 coupe. I made a mistake. I used an old 36 grit to shape the 60 grit wheels profile. I will edit that above. Good catch!

golddredger

OK here is the pictures of my setup. I used an OSH 60 grit for the sharpening stone. The radial arm saw is a 10" with 5/8 arbor. specs are in the pictures for the stone I used. The old 36 grit I used to profile the new 60. Took about an hour to shape the stone and that was the toughest part of the project. Take your time check the fit to the blade. The fellow in the video grind pretty hard I take a lighter cut just touching the teeth and gullet. I just screwed the block with the slot down to my saws wood top. I clamped a couple of stringers on to support the blade at the rear. Takes about 15 minutes to sharped a 158" blade. The kerf from the table saw blade was a bit wide for the slot so I trimmed a few thin strips of tin to go in the slot to tighten the blade up so it cannot rock side to side. Works wonderful. Low cost and last photo is a load of 2X12 boards I just cut with my resharpened blade. That is an old blade I just put in for the pictures. It has not been sharpened yet. It had hit a nail so that is why it does not have a tip on the teeth. This sharpener will clean that right up and save that blade. Link to the you tube video of where I seen this originaly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NYwyp6k0k&index=46&list=WL

Hilltop366

36 coupe

Quote from: golddredger on October 13, 2014, 05:31:45 PM
Yes you are 100% correct 36 coupe. I made a mistake. I used an old 36 grit to shape the 60 grit wheels profile. I will edit that above. Good catch!
Use a diamond dresser.The short ones are not expensive if you make a holder for them.

delvis

Quote from: JHEPP08 on October 12, 2014, 09:02:58 PM

I have considered buying the full setup from Wood Mizer to sharpen and set my own blades.  The cost for the machines I want would run 5 grand or better if I have my numbers right.  Maybe even more.  To send a box of 15 blades to WM ReSharp and get it back costs me $137.  It's expensive to send them out, but it's convenient.  I don't have to spend time at night grinding blades after I have spent the day sawing. 

Unless you're going through a box of blades every week or so, I would just send them out and let resharp handle them.   
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

drobertson

Having one sharpen is handy, but, when the bad one hits, there might be some grumbling.  a 5 grand set up is not necessary for sure.   and it only takes a few minutes to get one ready to go back to the log. 

bandmiller2

Sharpening your own bands is a personal choice, if your an independent cuss or at the end of the supply line it becomes more important. Some folks are hard pressed to properly sharpen a chainsaw let alone a band, they would be best serviced by a resharp  service. If your a low volume "hobby" sawyer it really won't pay to buy good equipment to sharpen  properly. If you cut for hire and of a temperament to sharpen bands right, it will pay you back. Near as I can figure my equipment has  paid off a couple of years back and every band now is money that has never left my pocket. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 15, 2014, 07:54:29 PM
Sharpening your own bands is a personal choice,  Frank C.
That personal choice may very well not have anything to do with economics or ability.  I have the mechanical ability and I would be several thousand $$$ ahead if I had chosen to do my own resharpening.

My choice was time.  Quite simply, when I am not sawing, I am off.  That "off time" is very valuable......to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!