iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

allison automatic

Started by Nemologger, October 11, 2014, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

I have a chance to buy a floater truck with a Allison automatic transmission. Anyone know anything about one? Pros? Cons?
Clean and Sober

Southside

By chance does it have a Prentice 110 loader on it that overheats?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

Southside

Just being a wiseguy after reading your other post.  Speaking of that have you checked the obvious - clogged filter, stuck bypass valve?  How does the fluid look - is it clear or foamy with a lot of debris / metal / water?  When running the loader can you tell if the pump is staying in full stroke all the time?  Do you have access to pressure gauges?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

What is a "floater truck"? A flatbed for hauling equipment? I like Allisons in straight trucks, I've ran a lot of them in tandem to quint axle gravel trucks. They are durable and quite nice if the engine has a lot of power. The tandems I ran at one job had Cat 3208 engines and allisons, not enough power for 5 gears.
Too many irons in the fire

Nemologger

Barbender...A floater truck is a log truck with a picker that has floatation tires on it, Usually just for off road use to haul logs out when the ground is soft.
The one Im looking at has a 3208 cat with a allison
Clean and Sober

barbender

They are great off road, even the 3208 and Allison combo has enough power in that application (well, unless you're axle deep in mud) It's just when going down the road loaded the 3208 begins to disappoint.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!