iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Dining Table for my Shop Fourman

Started by Andy White, October 11, 2014, 06:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Lane C asked in his last post about using hand tools for shop projects. Well Lane, here is my first "all hand tool" project. Nancy told me that the dog needed a table to eat on, so he wouldn't have to lean so far down!! He has recovered well from the idiot next door shooting him in the foot, so I said OK. I had some Walnut that was cut in 1957, so that's what I will use. Got the saws and planes out and went to work. A dab of wax on the saws and plane bottoms is like cutting butter.

Started with #5 set rank, and cut diagonally to scrub edges to flat.

Next, run #5-1/2 and #6 to final finish.

Start over for next panel, and so on till all panels are done.

Now for the joinery. Layout and cut 7° dados for splayed legs, using the old #71. Layout and cut 7° top and bottoms of both legs, after rip cutting wedges off b0th sides of leg panels.

Time for glue ups, using 90° clamp jigs with the 7° wedges to establish the "splay" in the legs.

Let glue dry, finish sand with a RO Sander, I don't have a sheet of sandpaper in the whole shop But after the smoother plane, the sanding is very minimum, and my Card Scrapers aren't here yet. Rubbed with 3 coats of BLO and called it good.

Now for the final test!!

I guess it works for him!   :D :D ;D 8) 8) 8) running-doggy smiley_smash smiley_smash

Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Nice job Andy.  How do you spell "spoiled"  ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Well done.  I am sure that the Fourman appreciates it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

LaneC

WOOOOOO WEEEEEE!!!!!! That is might fine. That is exactly what I was wondering about the tools. That is a very fine piece. Thanks so much for sharing that. I am glad the neighbor is a poor shot. That is really nice. And a pretty dog too.
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

Those are nice tools too. What type of wax do you put on your saws? I used to raise bees and have some bees wax, and was thinking of using that. I don't think it would be bad for them. Thanks again.

Andy White

Lanc C,
The best I've used is plain old Gulfwax that you use to seal jars of homemade jelly. Did I just give away my age??? I haven't tried bees wax, but it should work as well.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

isawlogs

I have a shop forman here also, he, though, has a surperintendent....  she is the boss when it comes time for food.  sketti_1

That there is top notch food bowl holder if ever I saw one.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LaneC

drobertson

Very handy work!  love those tools, always wondered about the datto cutting tools,  thanks for sharing, happy for the dog ;D   thought about this for my missy, but believe she would just rather lay down and eat :D  always has,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

hackberry jake

smiley_clapping I love seeing the art of using hand tools
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WmFritz

What I can't get over is that Walnut and I are the same age and it looks so much better then me.  :D

My shop Fourman needs a dining table like that , but then he couldn't carry his bowl around at dinner time.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

dablack

That dog eats at a nicer table than I do!

I keep picturing him in an old west town where he limps into the saloon.  Everyone turns around to look at him and he says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw!"

maybe its just me.......
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

Quotemaybe its just me.......
Maybe what you caught is catching.....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Austin,
It's not just you, I think the same thing every time he starts that limp. He does it when he wants something from Nancy. She falls for it every time!!!        Andy

Magicman

If a trick works once....try it again.   :D

dablack

Quote from: Andy White on October 21, 2014, 09:04:22 AM
Austin,
It's not just you, I think the same thing every time he starts that limp. He does it when he wants something from Nancy. She falls for it every time!!!        Andy

I see now!  He learned it from watching YOU!  I bet your knees are fine.  You are one dirty dog Andy White! 
Building my own house in East TX

Thank You Sponsors!