iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you remember your first?

Started by WoodChucker, July 29, 2004, 08:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Not that first.  ;D

I'll be drying my first load of 4/4 red oak (about 800bf) in the next couple of weeks in my new Kiln using a Nyle L-50 deh. I'm curious if you guys remember the first time you did this and how it turned out for you? Did you make any mistakes with your first load or did it come out OK?  Is there anything you would or do different now?

There seems to be a lot more to this then I thought. After reading the manual and trying to figure out all the formulas I must admit I'm a little nervous about it turning out OK.

This first load is going to be mostly for myself but it's still pretty important to me, I need it for several woodworking projects I have lined up and hope to have enough to carry me thru the winter.

Can you guys give me any tips that a rookie might overlook to help me get a good start? Thanks and I'll post some pics of my new Kiln in a couple of days.

R.T.  
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Larry

4/4 RO is pretty easy to dry especially if it has been air drying for a while.  With my Ebac LD-800 I have gotten in trouble a couple of times with sticker stain on the lighter colored woods.  My fault because I was drying to slow or trying to run a load of mixed MC's.

I do have a suggestion.  Keep a daily log and record the temperature, water extraction, and MC.  That log is a big help to spot problems and also a good learning tool.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WoodChucker

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the tip and that was a good one.

The oak I'll be drying is green, I've heard it's better to dry oak that way, true? Thanks again!

Anyone else?

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Frank_Pender

I know our Oaks out here in Oregon are a great deal different and more dence than your Red Oak.   I sure would consider letting the unit set for at least 30 days in the Summer months and 60 or better for the Winter months.   I have found greater success by doing so with our Oak.  Good fortune to you with your "first time".
Frank Pender

Gary_C

Drying oak from green is better from the standpoint of controlling the drying rate from the start and oak needs to be dried at a slow, controlled rate. However it ties up your kiln capacity longer. Don't want to scare you on your first load, but in other words it is better only if you do it right.

The biggest hazards from air drying are developing molds if you dry too slow or opening up surface cracks if you re-wet the wood after partially drying.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WoodChucker

OK, thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll just have to take a chance and see what I end up with. If this first load wasn't important to me I'm sure it would come out fine, but because it is, it will probably turn out like crap.  ;D

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!