iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MAC 3200 for 45.00, not working 45 dollars

Started by julesfl, October 09, 2014, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julesfl

Hey, So was wondering if this is worth fixing.  Owner says it starts but after running for awhile, then stopping it, it will not restart.  Maybe a fuel line prob, or carb?
So it's going for 45 dollars.  What ya think?

sawguy21

You are not out much if it is not fixable so why not? Personally and this is just me, I wouldn't give a newer Mac a second glance. Now if it was a 10-10 I might be interested. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den69RS96

Run away.  My FIL gave me one that did the same thing.  He used it once and the next time he went to use the saw it wouldn't start.  Took it to a shop and they fix it.  Next time he went to use it the saw wouldn't start. He never used it again because it wouldn't start.  I figured I would get running and use it as a limbing saw. I cleaned the carb and got it running.   Went to use it a few months later and it wouldn't start. Cleaned carb, replaced fuel line and filter and it ran again.  A month later it wouldn't start.  Then the oil cap started leaking.  Eventually I got sick on working on it and I  traded tha little yellow headache to my brother for a non running Homelite hedge trimmer.  I fix up the hedge trimmer and I still have it.   The Mac 3200 maybe had 5 hrs use total on it when I got rid I it. 

Get it if you want but plan on working on it as much as you use it.
Stihl ms250, ms361, ms046

dougand3

$45 seems steep for basically a non-running small Mac saw. Around here, they go for $5-$15. I'm working on a Mac 2818 trimmer now. I have the opposite problem - won't shut off. The coil ground connection inside the module must have failed. The coils are obsolete and the bolt hole mounting pattern is so weird, you can't just throw a similar coil in there.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Al_Smith

IMO you are probabley better of to avoid anything that says McCulloch after they quit making the saws some of us grew up with ,like the 10 series .Those for the most part are still running .If not plenty of parts are available for them .The newer stuff which might say McCulloch is just cheaply made equipment .

Thank You Sponsors!