iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally took the plunge - now a sawmill owner

Started by mart, October 09, 2014, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mart

After having the loan of an LT 10 for a couple years and not being able to talk the owners into selling it, I decided it was time to own my own mill. I found this used LT 30 locally and it came home with me today. I was looking for something bigger than the LT 10 and was thrilled to find this one at a good price. It's a 1997 with a new 23 HP motor. I tried it out a couple days ago and it seems to cut great. Thanks for all the inspiration guys. I have been reading this forum for a long time and wanting to get my own mill about as long. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I get to know this mill better. Thanks for making this such a good forum and such a good resource for new sawyers.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

thecfarm

I like that first picture with the LT10 in the background.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

now you can saw up a mill shed to keep the snow off your mill. Its does snow there doesn't it?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

samandothers

Delawhere Jack

True dual exhaust! I'm jealous!  ;D

Nice find.

goose63

never mind going to the doctors office now there is now known cure for that nasty saw dustug :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Tree Dan

Wow that was a good move you made...your now mobile with a bigger saw....way to go!
Now lets see some logs on that bed.
Congrats
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

Congratulations on making your dream come true.  That looks to be a "late model" '97 that had the mid-year upgrades.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Congrats!!!  You don't have to knock the "new" shine off it, so how about dusting it with some sawdust instead? 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Congratulations, Mart.  I hope you enjoy it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mart

Thanks guys. I just got back from the Woodmizer dealer in Anchorage, in fact he posts here often. I picked up some blades and dropped off some to be sharpened. I bought a box of new blades last year for the LT10 and still have 5 that haven't been on the machine. Also had the rest sharpened before I turn the LT10 back to the neighbors.

Hopefully this wind will lay down tomorrow. Even if it doesn't I'm going to get some of my birch logs up there and go to work.

As far as snow, yeah it can snow here. A little.  :snowball:

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

scully

Up were you are ! A mill like that is like being rich !  Good solid machine !
I bleed orange  .

mad murdock

Congratulations. There are a lot of scared trees in the MatSu valley now 8). Keep the pics coming!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Compensation

Nice! Do you still have your new lt10 blades or did you give those to the owner as well?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

mart

The LT10 blades are going to the owner. Least I could do for having the loan of their machine. They have a big cutting job coming up so they'll need the blades.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

New Brunswick

Nice piece of gear Mart, you must be happy and proud  8)  Enjoy your new mill!

dgdrls

Congratulations Mart,

now you can bring the mill to the logs if you want!

Best
DGDrls

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Congratulations on finding a nice mill for a good price, and good luck with your sawing adventures!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

I've got the same mill,model and year.It is a very sound piece of equipment and quite simple to operate and maintain.
Have fun and stay safe.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

rooster 58

Congrats on the new mill 8) Happiness is a large sawdust pile ;)

Thank You Sponsors!