iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Filter Tip

Started by SliverPicker, October 09, 2014, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not so here goes.

When the filters in my saws get to that point that they aren't getting all that clean from the normal blowing off/ brushing I spray them with PJ1 motorcycle filter cleaner, let them sit for 10 minutes out of direct sunlight and then rinse them in water.  The dust that gets on the filter carries premix from the exhaust (the vast majority of 2 cycle oil is sprayed out of the exhaust, unburned, as very fine droplets) and bar oil that flies off of the chain.  The filter cleaner spray cuts this oil and emulsifies it when rinsed in water without harming the filter.  After the filter dries completely it is in nearly factory-new condition.

I clean each of my filters about 10 times per week on average and probably use the filter cleaner once every 2 weeks. One spray can of the PJ1 lasts one or two whole seasons.
Yooper by trade.

sablatnic

I'm using the dishwasher. When no one is looking! Guess your way is the better, for several reasons!!

fossil

That's good to know. Thanks
Tim

sawguy21

sablatnic, you are a very brave man. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Enderslbz

I'm guilty of poor air filter maintenance, and I know it.  My saws are well taken care of in every way except this. I know it's important but it's one of those things that doesn't even cross my mind unless I read something about it or have to pull the cover off for some reason and see it. I know I have a problem and I need to figure out a way to remember to do it.  :(
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

CTYank

Quote from: SliverPicker on October 09, 2014, 01:05:35 PM
I'm not sure if this has been covered or not so here goes.

When the filters in my saws get to that point that they aren't getting all that clean from the normal blowing off/ brushing I spray them with PJ1 motorcycle filter cleaner, let them sit for 10 minutes out of direct sunlight and then rinse them in water.  The dust that gets on the filter carries premix from the exhaust (the vast majority of 2 cycle oil is sprayed out of the exhaust, unburned, as very fine droplets) and bar oil that flies off of the chain.  The filter cleaner spray cuts this oil and emulsifies it when rinsed in water without harming the filter.  After the filter dries completely it is in nearly factory-new condition.

I clean each of my filters about 10 times per week on average and probably use the filter cleaner once every 2 weeks. One spray can of the PJ1 lasts one or two whole seasons.

Most all the oil getting onto a 2-stroke's air filter is from return pulsation, back out of the carb. Rate depends on rpm & throttle opening. Oil leaving exhaust is largely broken down into POM (polycyclic organic matter) by heat, with rate depending on fuel:oil ratio in the mix. Much more hazardous to your health than a simple oil aerosol.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!