iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatzit?

Started by Jeff, October 09, 2014, 11:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Member Autocar gave this to me at the Bunyan show to put in the Forestry Forum "Museum". I had never saw one before. He knew what it was and it made perfect sense to me after he told me. :)  I'm very happy to have it to display with the other "stuff" here. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thompsontimber

Obviously that's a doomaflochy.  Everybody knows that. You use it on the hickamajig in order to whatchamacallit.

Jeff

Closest guess so far!  :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I was going to say tiddly wink launcher but it really looks like a door stop.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kcwoodbutcher

I'm thinking some kind of marking gauge.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

LaneC

That is an easy one. It is an: eyecatcher for meddlers :D :D :D. Not really. It is a blueberry flipper. you put a blueberry on the low end, flip the high end down real quick and launch the blueberry across the table into the air so your spouse doesn't have to get up to get the blueberries :D :D :D :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Texas Ranger

would be useful to lift sheet rock on a wall for nailing
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

See if this gives some clues

hackberry jake

Thats what we called a 5P back in the fourties. It stands for Ping Pong Paddle Potato Peeler!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Holmes

My first thought was for scraping crap off the bottom of shoes, and the metal blade is for getting between?
Think like a farmer.

Jeff

So far the first guess was the closest. :)

fishpharmer

Don't really know.  Since Autocar donated it, must have something to do with forestry, milling or lumber, I would think.  Maybe something to measure, scale or grade lumber or logs?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Looks like it could be a special jig for making a repeated tool setting for a machine in a sawmill or woodworking operation, or ??
Maybe something to do with moving a circular sawblade around... but not quite sure on that either.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

There was some movement in the right direction there...

Mooseherder

Those pieces of metal are magnetized so it's the world's first metal detector.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

Pitch remover for circular saw blades.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Brian_Rhoad

Use it to dress the saw teeth after they are swaged.

WmFritz

That device looks very similar to what the Nun's used to warm my backside with.   ;D ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

thecfarm

It's held against the saw blade for a guide to get the angle correct when the teeth are sharpened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 09, 2014, 08:32:33 PM
It's held against the saw blade for a guide to get the angle correct when the teeth are sharpened.

Yea.......you work in a hardware store.....that's cheating!  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: thecfarm on October 09, 2014, 08:32:33 PM

I've gotta say close but no cigar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don_Papenburg

According too Wm Fritz it is a butt gauge
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Compensation

At first glance it looked like a foot pedal of some sort for an old manual table saw or something because the rounded part seemed like a rocker and the rest shaped like a foot. After reading the comments I am even more lost.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ljohnsaw

Could it be used to lock the circular blade so you can file the teeth?  The long "blade" hooks a tooth (somehow) with foot pressure while you file away...  I'm talking the big 4' to 6' blades.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

What about using it to gauge a blade while hammering.

Just to measure the amount hammered!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

How about for checking or adjusting the set in the teeth.

Jeff

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 10, 2014, 07:56:35 AM

BINGO!

The hole is a finger hole, the middle plate in the center is akin to a spider gauge, you see the "feet" at the end of it that gives it a "set" distance when you put it against the saw plate. The end piece of metal is a file. You would put your finger in the hole to hole it against the circle saw plate, then rotate or "wave" the tool around the edge of the rim to dress the sides of your teeth so they were all exactly the same width off the plate. You would do this to both sides of the saw after you swaged, giving you a smooth cut.

Ron Wenrich

What's the purpose of the grooves? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Good Question. Looking at it, I can unequivocally say, No Clue. :D Actually, to me, it simply looks like they may have been there in the material they used to make it.

Jeff

Also, I just noticed, nothing there for scale. This thing is between 14" and 15" long.

Southside

Well if I would have had that info I could have given you the right answer in the beginning!!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on October 10, 2014, 08:12:35 AM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 10, 2014, 07:56:35 AM

BINGO!

The hole is a finger hole, the middle plate in the center is akin to a spider gauge, you see the "feet" at the end of it that gives it a "set" distance when you put it against the saw plate. The end piece of metal is a file. You would put your finger in the hole to hole it against the circle saw plate, then rotate or "wave" the tool around the edge of the rim to dress the sides of your teeth so they were all exactly the same width off the plate. You would do this to both sides of the saw after you swaged, giving you a smooth cut.
And the little screw by the hole?  Fine adjustment to the amount of set?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Southside logger on October 10, 2014, 10:24:00 AM
Well if I would have had that info I could have given you the right answer in the beginning!!!
No kidding! Please provide scale reference so us smart guys can answer these things quicker! ;)

Peter Drouin

Nice to see old tools like that, And when you see one you will know what it is.
I have been looking for that double fork thing we had a while ago at all the fairs and not seen it yet. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ron Wenrich

I was thinking the grooves had something to do with putting a wire in there.  It's about the right size, I would think.  And the screw by the hole would be the place the wire's attached.  I don't know what you would use the wire for, other than it might be a gauge.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Hilltop366

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on October 10, 2014, 11:04:08 AM
Quote from: Southside logger on October 10, 2014, 10:24:00 AM
No kidding! Please provide scale reference so us smart guys can answer these things quicker! ;)

fiddle-smiley fiddle-smiley

Thank You Sponsors!