iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gooey Sap From ERC?

Started by gfadvm, October 08, 2014, 09:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfadvm

I haven't sawed any fresh cut ERC before but now have some to saw. I was covered in sticky sap as was the chainsaw by the time I got the logs cleaned up ready to mill!

What lube,etc can I use to keep from covering my LT15 with this goo? I'm a bit anal about keeping my mill clean and spotless!

Magicman

That "other" thread said to use Mayonnaise.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

I saw that! Methinks that would be a bigger mess than the sap!

Magicman

I believe that you are correct.   ;D

You will not get very much on the sawmill, and I would try mineral spirits or maybe acetone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2014, 10:08:32 PM
I believe that you are correct.   ;D

You will not get very much on the sawmill, and I would try mineral spirits or maybe acetone.

That would clean it up after the fact. I was wondering if something in my water lube would keep it off the band and tires (belts on my WM)?

drobertson

I am thinking once you get them on the mill you should be in the clear in regards to the sap, but not knowing your logs I hate to go so far in saying that.  I've seen it when limbing up cedar but not so much once on the mill.  Diesel works for clean up, and the usual pine-sol solution works for me, I switched to the blue, not sure if its me, but it seems to clean better than the original.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gfadvm

Quote from: drobertson on October 09, 2014, 09:31:49 AM
I am thinking once you get them on the mill you should be in the clear in regards to the sap, but not knowing your logs I hate to go so far in saying that.  I've seen it when limbing up cedar but not so much once on the mill.  Diesel works for clean up, and the usual pine-sol solution works for me, I switched to the blue, not sure if its me, but it seems to clean better than the original.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't seen blue Pine Sol. Mineral spirits worked well to get the goo off of me and the chainsaw

Jemclimber

Acetone is a very good solvent that will also dissolve most paints. Just as an FYI.
lt15

drobertson

Well the blue pine-sol is for the blade lube tank,  I just saw it a few weeks ago, seems to work pretty good,  as for sap build up, mineral spirits or diesel is a good solution to the problem. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

golddredger

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2014, 09:53:16 PM
That "other" thread said to use Mayonnaise.   :D

Hahahahaha very funny....... I shared the mayo tip to clean pitch and sap from your HANDS and ARMS. Has nothing to do with keepping your mill clean. It appears that some folks cannot read and assume that it is in someway meant to be used on your mill. Good luck with that. >:(

Oh yes take some accetone to your mill and Wipe the paint right off destroying your paint job.... 8)
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

beenthere

Relax goldregger, we just havin some fun here per normal.  No one means to offend you or your suggestion to clean up pitch. Maybe someone will try it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gfadvm

Well as usual, I worried a lot for nothing. Sawed that green cedar log with no resulting mess. The goo was only oozing from the end grain. The face grain was not sticky at all. I should have known that!  I did add some glass cleaner with a high alcohol content to the water in the lube.

Thanks for the replys.

drobertson

When you get into some good ole syp, then the sap will get you attention!  enjoy the ecr, while you can, 

Magicman

My "lube" mix for all sawing is one glug (2 oz.) of liquid Cascade per gallon of water.   :)

ozarkgem

That is why I let my Cedar set for a while before I saw it. No sap problems then.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

gfadvm

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2014, 06:24:21 PM
My "lube" mix for all sawing is one glug (2 oz.) of liquid Cascade per gallon of water.   :)

I knew that but the only Cascade my wife had were some big pills that go in the dishwasher (was afraid to try those). I'll look for the liquid the next trip to town. Thank you.

Magicman

I do not recommend the generic store brand because it makes bubbles.  With Cascade, you add your glugs then fill the jug without any suds coming out of the top.   The Cascade figures out to about 60 cents per 5 gallon fill up.  :)

Baron

Has anyone tried using mineral spirits only in the water tank?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Baron.

And not going to.  That would seem like a sure way to throw a blade.  There is an emulsion that is used with WM Stellite-tipped blades that uses a mix of water, dish soap, and cooking oil, but even with that, throwing a blade is a possibility.

gfadvm

My wife brought home the Cascade liquid today!  So it will be added to the water tank (if I ever find more logs to saw).

WDH

I am sure that you will scrape up a few to saw  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I remove the squirt top.

And add one glug (two oz.) per gallon of water.

gfadvm

Got the Cascade today and carefully measured out 2 oz/gal. (didn't trust the 'glug' method in my hands.

Still looking for logs. I'm hoping that logs will be more plentiful once the ticks and chiggers have retired for the winter.

Magicman

Trust the glug 'cause it's more accurate that measuring.  I just glugged into a cup to see how much it was.   ;D

gfadvm

Magicman, I always enjoy your comments.  And you haven't led me astray yet!

Thank You Sponsors!