iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beaver Creek Logs

Started by Sixacresand, October 08, 2014, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

First load of logs from a lot clearing.  So far I am up to five trailer loads and about 2/3 the way done.  This load went the Beaver Creek Arts and Crafts Fair in Ivey GA where I will be showing off my LT40 (and hopefully not my poor milling skills) this coming Saturday.      :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Those are some very nice logs John.  What dimension lumber will you be sawing?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

MM, We plan to mill one inch boards.  We have only three logs for an all day event, so one inch thick will stretch it out some.  My helper friend makes furniture out of pine (and burns pine slabs in his heater), so I offered him most of the lumber for helping.  Plus he hauls all the lumber and slabs home with him and I just pull the mill home and park it.   :D

Chuck White,  I have been blessed with some nice, free logs lately.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

This should be a fun event for you!  And you did good picking those logs,  I always thought if I went to a show I would want the straightest logs possible ;D  have fun!  save some pictures for us now!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

YellowHammer

Sounds like a fun Saturday, especially since you get to saw your own "show" logs that are nice and straight.  Good luck!
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

We are looking forward to it, and as dry as it is, I don't even care if it rains.   :D

Magicman

I like your plan.  Saw a little, talk a lot, and pass out Business Cards.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Those are some nice looking logs John.  If my sister wasn't coming for a visit this weekend I might've come down and looked over your shoulder while you did the sawing. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Those are super nice.  There will be some fine wide 1" boards. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

6....I may use your pic to show these people from Ohio how to bring logs to the mill.  :)
Nice load.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Good luck at the fair  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 09, 2014, 09:25:16 PM
6....I may use your pic to show these people from Ohio how to bring logs to the mill.  :)
Nice load.
must be more to this story ?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on October 10, 2014, 06:28:20 AM
Nice load.
Hopefully, we will get the "rest of the Story" sometimes.

Magicman

Setting up and sawing at shows and fairs is some of the best advertisement that you can do.  Years later you will get calls from folks that watched the demo and picked up a card.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 10, 2014, 08:35:23 AM
Quote from: Ohio_Bill on October 10, 2014, 06:28:20 AM
Nice load.
Hopefully, we will get the "rest of the Story" sometimes.
I bet I can guess, because I chuckled when I read that.  I always make suggestions to customers as how to best load logs on a trailer to bring to me because most people own utility trailers that have raised side rails which prevent unloading the logs with forks, just as in picture you show, except your logs are elevated on blocking and easily accessable.    8) When customers cram their logs on submerged trailer decks I've been forced to use an a variety of relatively slow methods such as lifting with chains, hooks, or pulling off the back of the trailer, or whatever, but still it is inefficient compared to me just forklifting the load in one or two easy lifts.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

yukon cornelius

im interested also. i was thinking about taking my mill along to a few shows next year but cutting ugly logs to show that not all logs need to be perfect to get something out of them. those are the logs i cut the most.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Sixacresand

Quote from: customsawyer on October 11, 2014, 09:54:16 PM
How did the fair go?
We had a great time.  Lots of people came by.  I had no clue that people like cedar cookies, especially when they are free.     

WDH

Where are the pics  ???. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I didn't make a big effort to take pictures.  Nancy was going to be the event photogragher, but she was sick and didn't come.  Here are a few I took during milling breaks. 

Mill and and trailer.  Both of my off bearers were 70+ years old.  It was hot so between logs we headed to the cooler, chairs and shade.  My buddy Carl, an off bearer.

Note the operator's stool so I can sit and do the hydraulics. :D  Bobby, one of the volunteer off bearers.

A few restored antique tractors and a Model A.

slider

al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!